National Engineering Landmarks / Historic Engineering Marks

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: National Engineering Landmarks / Historic Engineering Marks

Post by Laighside Legends » 20 November 15 8:02 pm

Team MavEtJu wrote:
Laighside Legends wrote:I accidentally found one you don't have while wandering around Melbourne. The Morell Bridge over the Yarra at S37 49.685 E144 59.083 I have photos I can send you if you like... (if you give me your email address)
That marker was placed in 12 September 2015, the data I worked on was from July 2015. You found a new one! *ding ding ding lights flashing*

I will create it later today when I'm back home. Thank you very much for your contribution!

Edwin
So are they just adding new ones when they feel like it or is there a list they a working towards completing?

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 20 November 15 8:51 pm

Laighside Legends wrote: So are they just adding new ones when they feel like it or is there a list they a working towards completing?
The Heritage section of the Engineers Australia association deals with the allocation of this. Objects get proposed by the state-level organisations of Engineers Australia and they then get approved or rejected by the Heritage section.

Edwin

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 26 November 15 4:12 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
canary wrote:I have attempted 10 of these with 5 being successful.

I have wasted many hours driving to and searching for the other five, that are I'm fairly confident aren't there.

What are the owner's plans for the ones that I and/or other people have DNFd?

Is the owner planning to go and check on these?

Or is the owner going to Archive them?

I just wish they were off my nearest to home searches, if they aren't there.
Add them to your ignore list and they should stop coming up.
That may remove them from Canary's searches, but it doesn't solve the issue of caches being listed without the CO having any idea if there is anything at the location or not. If cachers have to visit a location to log a find, it would seem to be good etiquette to expect a CO to visit that same location prior to listing a cache there, to verify that there is actually something to find. Or can we just start searching online for photos, to use in a found log as remote as the published log?

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 27 November 15 9:20 am

I've added dozens of CORS without first visiting to see if they're actually there. I've added trigs using a particular database but didn't visit them initially either. There is no compulsion for anyone to look for a cache. You make that decision. Rather than putting these virtuals on your Ignore List just don't set up a Query & you wont even know they exist. My next attempt at finding one of these virtuals will be in Goulburn, so hopefully I'll have 4 from 4. If not then I'll have visited a very interesting location.

canary
8000 or more caches found

Post by canary » 27 November 15 10:13 am

Tuena wrote:I've added dozens of CORS without first visiting to see if they're actually there. I've added trigs using a particular database but didn't visit them initially either. There is no compulsion for anyone to look for a cache. You make that decision. Rather than putting these virtuals on your Ignore List just don't set up a Query & you wont even know they exist. My next attempt at finding one of these virtuals will be in Goulburn, so hopefully I'll have 4 from 4. If not then I'll have visited a very interesting location.
But the CORS are owned by the community and we can archive them once we visit the site and confirm they are there or not.

I have enjoyed all ten locations that I have been to and that is why I will continue to search for them.

But the five that aren't there should be either checked by the owner, since they own the cache, or archived. Particularly the one at Medlow Bath Dam that is a Restricted Access Area.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 28 November 15 6:54 pm

canary wrote: But the CORS are owned by the community and we can archive them once we visit the site and confirm they are there or not.
The community can also place a Needs Archiving log on ones that are not there if they know this information.

I don't see any issue.

canary

Post by canary » 28 November 15 10:24 pm

CraigRat wrote:
canary wrote: But the CORS are owned by the community and we can archive them once we visit the site and confirm they are there or not.
The community can also place a Needs Archiving log on ones that are not there if they know this information.

I don't see any issue.
Like this http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga7683 ?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 28 November 15 11:34 pm

And ta-da! The system works.

Note: We don't spend every day perusing the Needs Archiving lists, usually happens about once a month or whenever someone remembers to do it (whichever comes last)

EAHeritage

Post by EAHeritage » 08 February 16 11:19 am

Hello all,

I am a member of the Sydney division of the Engineers Australia Heritage Committee. Last week the committee became aware that there had been an effort made to list engineering heritage recognition sites on the geocaching.com.au website.

We would be happy to provide any assistance necessary to complete the list of sites. Please let me know how we may be of assistance. As a start I have registered a username EAHeritage with the website.

The complete list of recognition sites can be be found here:

https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/s ... _order.pdf

Regards,

Alex.

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 08 February 16 12:06 pm

Hello Alex!
EAHeritage wrote:I am a member of the Sydney division of the Engineers Australia Heritage Committee. Last week the committee became aware that there had been an effort made to list engineering heritage recognition sites on the geocaching.com.au website.
Welcome. I'm the local fool who took this task up to him to add these. I tried to contact you via email earlier last year but didn't get an answer. No hard feelings.
We would be happy to provide any assistance necessary to complete the list of sites. Please let me know how we may be of assistance.
The biggest problem will be to keep up with new awards, if there is a mailinglist on which announcements for new marks are being published, that would be excellent.

At https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =370412935 I have the full list as I have it now, which I believe has one than your list of July 2015.

Also at http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/screen/7459 and http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/gmap/7459 you should be able to find the overview and the map with all of them.

Edwin

EAHeritage

Post by EAHeritage » 08 February 16 12:58 pm

Thanks Edwin, that is a very comprehensive list! I will look into the listing process for new landmarks and get back to you.

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 08 February 16 2:54 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:I accidentally found one you don't have while wandering around Melbourne. The Morell Bridge over the Yarra at S37 49.685 E144 59.083 I have photos I can send you if you like... (if you give me your email address)
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga8119 - Thanks heaps and sorry for the delay.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 05 April 16 10:48 pm

Wow great to have the official keepers on board! Hopefully they can assist with any missing or unlocatable plaques. I'm enjoying the history and locations of the hunts. Some are tricky to track down but that is part of the fun ;)

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 27 May 16 9:38 am

I'm not sure if I can endorse these caches anymore after the following advertisement campaign:

https://twitter.com/freakboy3742/status ... 6166823937

:-P

whitewebbs

Post by whitewebbs » 13 August 16 7:04 pm

I found an engineering heritage marker for the Floating Bridge in Hobart, Tasmania (no longer in existence) information board is located at these coords S42 51.908 E147 20.219 on the western shore of the Derwent River, Hobart. The information board also has the engineering heritage marker symbol on it and the date it was placed 15.5.15. There is also another information board at these coords S42 51.837 E147 20.998 on the eastern shore of the Derwent River. I have photos of both. The floating bridge is an interesting piece of bridge history in Tasmania. It is listed on the engineering site that you have links to in other engineering marker caches and a picture of the information board on the western shore. It would be a good marker to publish, I believe.