Re: Report dragonZone issues / problems here

Post by HHHEddy » 14 January 16 10:59 pm

Bonus, Thank you for the prompt response :phoenix :D

2y'stassies
10000 or more caches found

Post by 2y'stassies » 03 February 16 8:32 am

The Update button on the top left of my Trophy page seems to have disappeared. Have I missed an announcement or is there a problem?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 February 16 9:44 am

You missed an announcement. There was an enhancement as a result a change of where you update which drags it back into line with most other things that you update.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 75#p215075

2y'stassies

Post by 2y'stassies » 03 February 16 10:33 pm

Thanks caughtatwork.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 08 February 16 1:02 pm

I have a problem... I got so caught up in my BBQ on Australia day I didnt find any caches and now have to wait a year to get the badge :cry:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 February 16 1:27 pm

Yep. Don't miss 29th February then.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 10 February 16 6:24 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Yep. Don't miss 29th February then.
it's on the list :)

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 20 June 16 7:01 pm

:idea: Archived Cache Control :idea:

This is starting to add up in some zones where the number of archived caches outnumber those that are active. Mostly a movable problem, I think it is a bit discouraging for DZ play. Why maintain a cache you hid if you control it? Just archive and hide another, now you have 2 caches including one you can never lose.

Not saying people are/would deliberately do this, but with the limited lifespan of moving caches (and the number of them compared to trads in places) I think this mechanic needs revisiting.

I can't see a real downside of removing them from the scoring. Muggled stationary caches can be replaced, and muggled moving caches can be too if confirmed missing. I think encouraging people to maintain existing caches is better then there being a benefit to discard and replace. It would also mean the caches on the map are those up for grabs, making planing and play DZ simpler and more competitive.

Thoughts? Am I missing a big advantage of having archived caches controlling zones?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 June 16 8:36 pm

Should a cache stop contributing because it was part of the game but is no longer? At what point do we decide that history is not applicable and only live game pieces count. At what point do I steal a few caches to get them archived and by default control the zone? Each point made for one side applies to the other.

I'm not saying no, I'm interested in opinions.

Which zones are having a problem? I'd like to look into them to see what's happening?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 20 June 16 11:33 pm

I can see Zal's point about it being another way to game the system if someone wanted to, but also recognise the issue of moveables that go missing as he has highlighted. Perhaps moveables that are archived should no longer contribute to zone control, while regular caches still can? Otherwise I don't have a real idea about the extent of any problem that exists, but I admit to not being an active DZ player, except if I find GA caches I will take control of them if I can.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 June 16 9:15 am

The functionality can go either way. i.e. Include or exclude. I'd be reluctant to start choosing between cache types to include or exclude. To keep it simple, in or out based on status.

We're still going to stick with physical caches though :-) so no webcam or history or locationless, etc, etc. Just a cache with a box.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 21 June 16 11:11 am

Agree, caches in the game have to stay as physical caches only....

As for the archive issue, if it results in those cachers already playing the game increasing their participation level, it may be worth considering. I think the numbers of cachers starting to play the game simply because archived cachers are no longer counted though, would be next to zero. So I believe it's about the current DZ players only....

Would it be worthwhile putting out a poll? Question could be something like:

As a dragonZone player, would you be happy to have archived caches removed from the game.

Yes

No

Personally, I'm not fussed either way at this stage. I certainly know of a couple of zones where the archived cache numbers make a difference in comparison to those 'live' caches, but I play the game whenever I go somewhere, and can see/work out any difference in the numbers in that zone. That's all part of the strategy of the game and preparation for a day/weekend trip....but yes, I also have the time to sit down and work on it.

Maybe the poll is the way to go as it would hopefully give us an indication on what DZ players think. We could discuss the issue more after we have the result.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 21 June 16 2:44 pm

Ive crunched the numbers for about half the zones in NSW and there are no huge surprises. The zones with the highest number of GCA caches/cachers have the highest number of archived finds. There are a few oddities like Ashfield, which has no active caches so is by default controlled by 2 archived moveables but overall things don't seem as widespread as my gut initially felt. There are a decent number of zones where 10-20% of the DZ caches are archived but in many of these there would be fewer than 10 total eligible caches so having 1, 2 or 3 archived padding the numbers isn't huge.

Logically I still feel removing archived caches from the count makes sense, it encourages cache maintenance (and decreases map frustration when the pin dont equal the DZ count) but overall the numbers of the actual affect it haves on the score is probably minimal in the majority of zones.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 June 16 2:49 pm

Thanks for the analysis. I was expecting that there was a huge issue. It seems OK at the moment, but it will grow larger over time.

There' a poll here which will hopefully help us head in the right direction.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 44&t=19162

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 31 December 16 8:51 am

Checking to see how much of my backyard has turned blue, I noticed that it isn't turning blue like it should. I'm trying to add an image here, but can't seem to figure out how, so...

Gilandra, NSW, is still donning a Minotaur orange. I'm not sure if any other zones are not changing colour correctly yet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93043164@N ... ateposted/

How do you add a photo to a forum post?