History Cache

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Re: History Cache

Post by petan » 21 January 16 5:46 pm

ziggiau wrote:This getting ready for history caches has taken me down a rabbit hole. My LGA has a fabulous wiki of local historical information but when I couldn't find something I was after, the Community History Librarian says "come edit the wiki with us". Yes, geocaching really does take you to some unusual places.
Welcome to my world... pretty soon you'll decide that the information isn't quite right or complete so you'll start reading local history books or accessing your history library's newspaper clipping file, then you'll realise that some of the information contradicts itself. It's about then you sign up to Trove leaving your 'footprints' in the old newspaper articles that you correct the OCR'd text, because your OCD demands that you can't leave someone's name with a bad OCR translation. Pretty soon you'll obtain a researcher's card for your local state archives and find yourself on a warm Tuesday afternoon in the archives reading room, reading the minutes of the 1941 town council meeting and cross checking some of the information on Cadestral maps. Meanwhile the archivist reminds you that your requested Rate books for that era is still on the 'too be collected' shelf and its 4pm.

Sorry you were saying.....

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 22 January 16 2:33 pm

I do fear that slippery slope petan, but hopefully the need for my family to be fed will be enough distraction to keep me away from the HARD research for a few years yet. :wink:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 January 16 2:36 pm

It appears from here and FB that there are no additional features or concerns with the wiki page, so this weekend I'll see if I can make this go live.

I'm busy on Saturday and I'm caching in Ballarat on Sunday (gnoming actually) so maybe Sunday evening so I can watch for any issues on Monday (day off) and Tuesday (public holiday) just to keep on top of the change.

Look for an announcement.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by petan » 22 January 16 6:00 pm

ziggiau wrote:I do fear that slippery slope petan, but hopefully the need for my family to be fed will be enough distraction to keep me away from the HARD research for a few years yet. :wink:
Still a wage slave too... history research has just taken over my 'need' to spend my evenings on Facebook or watching trashy TV.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by petan » 24 January 16 12:11 pm

One little thought that occurred to me in the shower and it has nothing to do with the technicalities of this new cache type more the implementation.

Basically, if you are going to publish a history cache, can you make a little effort to make sure the information you present is correct. As a history nerd I do sometimes check in on some of those "I remember....", "Lost.....", "Have you seen..." type historical Facebook groups. There is a lot of incorrect information being passed around as history. GCA caches do come up in Google searches (Google the dip bridge mudgeeraba and you will see what I mean) and I think since we are essentially publishing information then I think we have a responsibility not to spread misinformation.

So please, if you are going to 'google' information for your own caches place more trust sites which might be published by local history societies or even council heritage departments. Most council libraries will either have a heritage or local studies branch or even just a shelf in their reference section for books on local places and events. The librarians are usually thrilled if you ask for help on this subject. Newspaper reports can be a little dodgy if they are being written in the modern era about an event long past so be wary. Having said that old newspapers can be invaluable. The National Library of Australia has many Australian newspapers available to search and read online through Trove http://trove.nla.gov.au/?q=search. Trove is also an excellent resource for images/maps etc. PS It can be fun to search for an Australian ancestor in Trove, for example I knew my Grandmother was a card shark but I didn't know that she was skinning the local community in charity euchre tournaments in the district where she lived in the 1920s and 30s.

If you are going to include images, please acknowledge where you got them from and the photographer if known.

If you are going to put in information you 'know' but have not been able to verify elsewhere make it clear in your text "local legend says....", "When I grew up here it was believed....", or something like that.

I'm looking forward to both publishing and finding my first history caches.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 January 16 11:19 am

You asked and we delivered.

History Caching is live.

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/History_cache

If you notice any bugs or issues, please let us know.

Team Ladava
2500 or more caches found

Post by Team Ladava » 26 January 16 12:38 pm

Love your work c@w
I have just published my first without any issues.
Let's see how it goes
Cheers

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 January 16 1:34 pm

I suggest you add the questions to the cache description otherwise when the finders are out in the field, they won't know what questions to be answering.

Team Ladava

Post by Team Ladava » 26 January 16 1:56 pm

Thanks & done
Cheers

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 26 January 16 2:21 pm

The first History cache has been published and is awaiting its first find \:D/ :minotaur

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga8099

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 January 16 2:26 pm

Again, I suggest you add the questions to the cache description otherwise someone paperless caching won't know the questions to answer.

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 26 January 16 2:28 pm

Done :)

Team Ladava

Post by Team Ladava » 26 January 16 3:58 pm

A couple more published to make the trek to Sunbury worthwhile

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 January 16 4:24 pm

Team Ladava wrote:A couple more published to make the trek to Sunbury worthwhile
Damn. Too late. Already been and gone. Nonetheless that will serve purpose to revisit.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 26 January 16 5:09 pm

I'm not seeing the Flood History cache on the WA map

http://geocaching.com.au/caches/availab ... au/wa.gmap

I can't see it in the app though acknowledged that is a question to raise with the developer.