Pokemon Go

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Pokemon Go

Post by Happy Chappies » 14 September 15 6:26 pm

Not strictly geocaching, but when I spiedthis preview videothe other day (after informing my daughter who promptly wet herself with excitement :| ), it did certainly make me think of geocaching. OK, it's more like Ingress to be fair (and is in fact developed by the same people), but the 'augmented reality' spin possibly makes it a third-cousin twice removed on geocaching's fathers side.

Regardless, I love the fact that it's using tech to get people out in the real world - a bit like geocaching. As my daughter's interest in GC has waned, this might help get her out in the real world a bit more. She might even be lured out onto geocaching trips in the wild if she thinks she might find a pokemon out there too.

Clever that it's also utilising a bluetooth clip on thingamy, to try and help people be less focused on their phone during the game. I'm always conscious that when I'm out 'enjoying the real world' while geocaching, it looks like I'm some typical FB/twitter/instagram/tinder junky who can't stop fondling their phone and look at the world around me. #-o (this is why I always wanted (in vain) for google glass to succeed. So I could geocache without having to have my phone in my face...)

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Re: Pokemon Go

Post by ziggiau » 15 September 15 12:05 pm

I've bred and nurtured my very own Pokemon expert for the last 13 years in preparation for this game. Prior to this he was considering hiding his own Pokemon themed series of caches, not sure he'll find that as cool as the new game :cry:

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 17 September 15 11:14 am

You've ruined me! Now I've finally decided to check out ingress and discovered that my region needs me. :?

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 17 September 15 11:24 am

No_Tomorrow wrote:You've ruined me! Now I've finally decided to check out ingress and discovered that my region needs me. :?
Geocaching: Find the container once and you are done with it.

Ingress: You capture a place. And next week you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 17 September 15 12:57 pm

Team MavEtJu wrote:
No_Tomorrow wrote:You've ruined me! Now I've finally decided to check out ingress and discovered that my region needs me. :?

Ingress: You capture a place. And next week you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again.
I knew I was doing the right thing not looking into it :)

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 30 November 15 2:11 pm

That actually looks pretty awesome. Augmented reality games are going to start coming thick and fast now Ingress has paved the way and proven they can work. Soon you'll be on a cache hunt with 4 or 5 other people all hovering around the one point of interest... all playing different games and oblivious of each other :lol:

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 01 December 15 11:45 am

Not as much as geocaching needs you. The dark side, you should reject No_Tomorrow....

:gnome :gnome :cerberus :cerberus

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 December 15 9:45 pm

Team MavEtJu wrote:Ingress: You capture a place. And next week you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again.
Hang on, that sounds like Dragonzone :griffin :griffin :griffin

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 December 15 10:50 am

Richary wrote:
Team MavEtJu wrote:Ingress: You capture a place. And next week you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again. And the week after you have to capture it again.
Hang on, that sounds like Dragonzone :griffin :griffin :griffin
To be perfectly honest and open, they did it first and I sort of, kind of, maybe, borrowed some concepts.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 14 December 15 8:50 am

Ingress is a great concept, but it gets to a point where you basically HAVE to play everyday to get anywhere or contribute so a very big time suck. It was awesome while I needed to entertain myself with the Mrs in China for 7 months but then I simply didnt have the time so dropped it for more caching which has no pressure to play \:D/ Im sure the pokemon one will be fun too, but with so many cool options out there you gotta stay focused ;)

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 20 December 15 2:41 pm

LouiseAnn wrote:
Team MavEtJu wrote:

I knew I was doing the right thing not looking into it :)
Me too.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 21 December 15 7:09 am

Yeah, I gave up a week after starting because of that. At least with dragonZone there are fewer players (for now) and not enough caches out west for sol de lune to bother visiting, so I don't have a big job protecting Griffin territory out here. :wink: :griffin

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 22 December 15 9:17 am

No_Tomorrow wrote:Yeah, I gave up a week after starting because of that. At least with dragonZone there are fewer players (for now) and not enough caches out west for sol de lune to bother visiting, so I don't have a big job protecting Griffin territory out here. :wink: :griffin
I was there in April......does that count? :-" :cerberus :cerberus

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 22 December 15 7:26 pm

Sol de Lune wrote:
No_Tomorrow wrote:Yeah, I gave up a week after starting because of that. At least with dragonZone there are fewer players (for now) and not enough caches out west for sol de lune to bother visiting, so I don't have a big job protecting Griffin territory out here. :wink: :griffin
I was there in April......does that count? :-" :cerberus :cerberus
It actually made my day as you would have seen in my video. \:D/ I'm just waiting to lose central-west/west NSW to Cerberus any day. I do plan on hiding a whole bunch of GC and GCA geocaches in said area, but am holding off till I have what it takes to make them half decent (as in not like mint tins thrown from a moving vehicle). Should make the place more worthwhile visiting then. :)

Oh, and sorry for moving your caches to such unvisited places. I actually thought Broken Hill wouldn't be so long. Would you like me to move the one near Forbes somewhere better next time I'm there? I visit every 6 weeks. I promise not to add :griffin points to it.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 22 December 15 9:26 pm

It actually made my day as you would have seen in my video. \:D/ I'm just waiting to lose central-west/west NSW to Cerberus any day. I do plan on hiding a whole bunch of GC and GCA geocaches in said area, but am holding off till I have what it takes to make them half decent (as in not like mint tins thrown from a moving vehicle). Should make the place more worthwhile visiting then. :)

Oh, and sorry for moving your caches to such unvisited places. I actually thought Broken Hill wouldn't be so long. Would you like me to move the one near Forbes somewhere better next time I'm there? I visit every 6 weeks. I promise not to add :griffin points to it.
If you're waiting to lose the area so you can put more caches out...I'll make plans to help you out...

As for the moveables in BH, if you are out there every 6 weeks or so.....yeah, maybe pick them up and bring back into Dubbo to see if they move on a bit more.....just don't make a trip just for them. Leave that to you.