iPhone user wanting to log through gca

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
caughtatwork

Re: iPhone user wanting to log through gca

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 15 8:24 am

gmj3191 wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
As far as the site being mobile device aware, what do you suggest? What information do you have in the field that would allow the site to identify what you wanted to do next?
Perhaps just mobile formatted copies of the key caching pages. You could go to them directly, rather than worrying about detecting if a person was using a mobile device, although that can't be too difficult.

I think the guy that runs pathtags has done something like that, although he calls it an app rather than a mobile site.

https://www.pathtags.com/mobile/
Yes, we can do that. But what are they entering? If they just use the GA code, then how do we know what they want to do? Visit the cache page? Visit the log page? Do something else? Give us some use cases with the information that the user will have in hand at the site and under what circumstances they are going to visit what page.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 15 8:26 am

LouiseAnn wrote:today I was using my phone for finding gnomes and I found that the map had very very tiny points and the writing to click on was tiny. It would be nicer if it was all a little larger
Were you using Geocaching Australia maps natively or through an app?
What is your phone? They will all render different sizes depending on their screen resolution.
Increasing the size on a retina device will make a old phone have huge icons.
Can you post a screen shot so we can see what you can see.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 04 December 15 10:01 am

caughtatwork wrote:Were you using Geocaching Australia maps natively or through an app?
What is your phone? They will all render different sizes depending on their screen resolution.
Increasing the size on a retina device will make a old phone have huge icons.
Can you post a screen shot so we can see what you can see.
Sure can (Well, here is a DB link anyway)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ib6qlk01txn6c ... M.png?dl=0

My phone is an iPhone 6. I don't think you can do anything link change the screen size....
I wonder if I can source an android and put a pre-paid sim in it for the summer.....

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 04 December 15 10:07 am

LouiseAnn wrote: My phone is an iPhone 6. I don't think you can do anything link change the screen size....
I wonder if I can source an android and put a pre-paid sim in it for the summer.....
That's how it looks on my iPhone 5S too.

Edwin

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 15 10:35 am

Do me a favour and show me what a GC map looks like on the same device. If it's all OK via the GC maps, then I can see if we can match our icons to the same size as theirs.

LouiseAnn

Post by LouiseAnn » 04 December 15 1:14 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xma4m7hekytcp ... M.png?dl=0

The difference is, if I don't like this view, I can go to their crappy app. I don't have the same option without spending $12.99, or the afore mentioned cheap andriod phone

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 15 1:33 pm

Oh, OK thanks.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 04 December 15 1:39 pm

This is a c:geo screen

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 15 2:01 pm

Everyone is wanting new apps and we're happy to work with app developers, but we're not app developers. It's great to get all the feedback and possible options and opinions, it shows that the community have a need and a desire. We just don't have anyone who can do this.

If anyone knows someone who is an iOS app developer who would like to try their hand at an app development, we're happy to work with them. In order for the community to be happy, the app would need to be free though, which seems to put off a lot of developers. They would like to be paid for their work.

But, push the barrow. Find someone. Send them to the site. We'll help them in any way to get what they need for their app.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 04 December 15 2:03 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:
I think the guy that runs pathtags has done something like that, although he calls it an app rather than a mobile site.

https://www.pathtags.com/mobile/
Yes, we can do that. But what are they entering? If they just use the GA code, then how do we know what they want to do? Visit the cache page? Visit the log page? Do something else? Give us some use cases with the information that the user will have in hand at the site and under what circumstances they are going to visit what page.
I think we'd have to identify a number of screens that a user would need to go accessing to follow a logical approach to find a cache. Then copy those screens to mobile screens, and store them in a quarantined area where a user would go to access them.

I'm not a Business Analyst, but if the search, find, log process could be isolated to a half dozen or fewer screens, this might not be a huge job. It would pose some maintenance challenges, keeping it all lined up, but possibly these screens would get more use than the desktop screens in the long run.

To get into this area, a user would have to choose to go there at some point.

Am I making sense? What do others think?

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 04 December 15 2:05 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Everyone is wanting new apps and we're happy to work with app developers, but we're not app developers. It's great to get all the feedback and possible options and opinions, it shows that the community have a need and a desire. We just don't have anyone who can do this.

If anyone knows someone who is an iOS app developer who would like to try their hand at an app development, we're happy to work with them. In order for the community to be happy, the app would need to be free though, which seems to put off a lot of developers. They would like to be paid for their work.

But, push the barrow. Find someone. Send them to the site. We'll help them in any way to get what they need for their app.
I send you an email about that this morning. Which was a follow-up from 5 October.

Edwin

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 15 3:27 pm

Received nothing I'm afraid. Send it via PM to CraigRat and myself, please.

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 04 December 15 3:49 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Received nothing I'm afraid. Send it via PM to CraigRat and myself, please.
Done.