Report dragonZone issues / problems here

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
Boot65

Re: Report dragonZone issues / problems here

Post by Boot65 » 20 July 15 9:44 pm

Just a query regarding a local cache, Wiotlu Wertyu, GA2304. I found it on the 17-Jul-2015 and logged it as such but didn't receive any dZpoints for the cache (cache still has 0 points X 4) or the ability to be able to allocated any further point to it. I did receive the "Winter is coming" points. I was also expecting to complete a 7 day streak with this cache, 13th-19th inclusive, but it doesn't seem to have been recognised.
I have deleted my original "Found it" log and have re-done it, but it didn't appear to make any difference.
Not a biggy, but it has got me very curious.
A bug perhaps :lol: or is it just me ](*,)
Cheers

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 July 15 10:15 pm

Got me curious too, so I've checked it out. O'Malley which is the locale name was causing a problem with the ' in the name. I've now escaped that value and updated your log, so your points have now been allocated. You've also earned 50 points for busting a bug.

Boot65

Post by Boot65 » 20 July 15 10:19 pm

Love your work =D>

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 20 July 15 10:28 pm

Boot65 wrote:Love your work =D>
See....there is a (Griffin) god. #-o #-o

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 30 July 15 6:10 pm

Just curious, today I claimed 2 new zones for Griffin that no clan had control of previously. From the wording in the winter is coming game, should i have still received points for taking control of it?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 30 July 15 10:05 pm

Only on a find. Not a hide or move.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 21 November 15 11:02 am

This has probably been raised before but if not...

Apparently you have 7 days to log your dragon zone points which all makes sense. The problem is that after a solid 12 days of nothing but caching in Melbourne I am quite a bit behind on logs and only just now logging caches I found a week ago. I then can't allocate any dragon zone points because it's been 7 days since I found it. Thoughts?

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 21 November 15 12:35 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:This has probably been raised before but if not...

Apparently you have 7 days to log your dragon zone points which all makes sense. The problem is that after a solid 12 days of nothing but caching in Melbourne I am quite a bit behind on logs and only just now logging caches I found a week ago. I then can't allocate any dragon zone points because it's been 7 days since I found it. Thoughts?
The Wiki says "If you want to assign additional dZPoints to a treasure, you can only apply them to a treasure you have found within the last seven days". I would have given priority to recording GCA finds as all you get from the other side is a point. So what to do now? It is oft said that GCA has no rules but in this case it does so you could put it down to experience. Alternatively record the finds on the day you log them & allocate additional points. Probably would have been best to keep this quiet as after all DragonZone is a game of strategy. :minotaur

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 November 15 8:22 am

The 7 day logging restriction was put in place to avoid people hoarding points then adding points to a cache 6 months after the event and taking control. 1 week seemed reasonable at the time and is still probably a reasonable time frame to make your log and control a cache.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 23 November 15 6:27 pm

Perhaps 7 days from when the log is submitted would work better? Not sure if there are any problems with that...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 November 15 8:23 am

What this restriction is trying to avoid is the following:

You find a cache and you want to control it and the zone.
You don't yet log it.
You know there is someone lurking around looking at the same geocache.
They find it and make their log.
They allocate some points to it, but not necessarily their maximum, just enough to take control.
You swoop in 12 days later, make your log (as per your find date).
You allocate more points than the other cacher and take control of the geocache and possibly the zone.

What you've done is only make a choice of allocating points after the end result can be calculated.

That's not the game. The game is a game of strategy. You make your find. You allocate your points. You choose whether you allocate loads or a few depending on what you have in your bank. Your turn is over and the rest of the players can now make their choices.

Your proposal is akin to seeing what the other poker players have in their hand before making your bet. Sorry. It's your turn, you place your points based on what you know and what you conjecture. You cannot hang on to your best just in case you want to make a higher or lower bet.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 24 November 15 8:33 am

Laighside Legends wrote:Perhaps 7 days from when the log is submitted would work better? Not sure if there are any problems with that...
For various reasons, cachers can sometimes log their finds 2, 3 and even 4 weeks after they make a find. If we were to be able to add our additional points 7 days after actually logging our find, the game could be become a matter of who blinks first....and take away from the general intent. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and I think the way it is at the moment is the best fit.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 25 November 15 12:22 am

I guess that all makes sense (as unlikely as it seems). Although it does make me wonder "What happens if you log your find as the wrong date?" People do this accidentally all the time anyway so it would easily go unnoticed. And that's before you get into those that just stamp the logbook and don't even record a date...

If someone really wants to beat the system, it's not that hard. This game (like caching) does rely on a bit of common sense and trust...

HHHEddy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by HHHEddy » 14 January 16 5:53 pm

Hi there, I have just updated my trophies to claim the finds on Christmas day etc :D only to find that I was awarded zero points :( for finds on Christmas, Boxing and New years day. I have the trophies but no points, Is this an issue or was I too quick off the mark?

The other trophy for the EyePod cache find allocated points as expected.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 January 16 8:43 pm

Thanks for your report. You have found a bug which has now been busted. You have also been awarded an additional 100 points for bringing this bug to our attention. We appreciate your patience.