New Virtual cache.. TSUNAMI..

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Piggy

New Virtual cache.. TSUNAMI..

Post by Team Piggy » 04 January 05 9:43 pm

We have all heard about the recent tsunami disaster in the asian region. Over 3 million people are now in dire need of basic supplies just to live.

Disease will be the next terrible lifetaker in this saga, as basic medical supplies are not even properly avaliable yet.

I have created a virtual that gives everyone the chance to log, after simply making a donation to a fund that is directly supporting the tsunami crisis.

Feel free to log away for a very worthwhile cause guys.. The caches aim is to reach $10,000 + let's see if we can do it..

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... bf6904ea98

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 04 January 05 10:32 pm

Good work Mr Pigg, and to the reviewer who gave it the thumbs up (finally).

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 04 January 05 10:51 pm

Hear Hear... Don't pay any attention to the minority of sticklers who maintain that this is not an appropriate use of a cache...

If the geocaching community cannot bend the site rules for this tragic event that would be very sad...

Have you marketed this cache internationally??? I haven't checked on the secondary forums yet... I'm sure it would get a great response and would significantly exceed your $10,000 target...

ideology

Post by ideology » 04 January 05 11:42 pm

Good one Piggy! We've just donated.
We hope you blitz the target and them some!

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 04 January 05 11:58 pm

Thanks Guys.
I understand this was maybe (probably) the hardest cache for an approver to let through to date in Australia or the world.

I have been on this for over a week as the cache date shows, It is very very borderline on busting the rules, But I thank geo.com for allowing this opportunity to help out our fellow man,woman & child & cacher..

My aim was $10,000 if we pass that great, I make nothing from this, but I hope you all sleep better at night, knowing you can and have helped in some small way.

I have not "marketed" this one internationally "yet", I will send some more mails to geo.com to ask direction. I don't want to push my luck.

Well, The cache is now 2 hours old and we are already approaching the $4500 mark.

Thanks to everyone who has donated so far, especially Leek ! Ideology !i and others.
If I was in the middle of this disaster zone right now, looking for something as simple as water to survive, I would bless every one of you if I could see what was going on behind the scenes so to speak.

Thank you.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 05 January 05 11:44 am

I have just logged my find of this worthwhile Virtual.
Andrew Wendy and Rhiannon

Team Red Roo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Roo » 05 January 05 12:47 pm

Thanks for the opportunity to make an extra donation and log a cache as well Team Piggy. A great cache idea and a very worthwhile cause. :D :D

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 05 January 05 12:51 pm

A cache with a cause, good stuff!!
cheers Darren :)

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 05 January 05 1:07 pm

Great idea Mr Piggy.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 05 January 05 1:20 pm

Donation made. Hopefully they get most of it.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 05 January 05 3:44 pm

Well done to the people who have donated so far.

Cache has been onsite for under 18 hours and the tally is currently sitting at $ 5005.00

embi

Post by embi » 05 January 05 5:31 pm

Both riblit and I wanted this one to go "live" straight away but because of it being "borderline" with the rules we decided to go to those at the top.

Riblit sent off an email and heard nothing back. He was the one who made the final choice and all thanks to him. I was on the verge and sick of waiting for a reply too.

I for one will resign INSTANTLY if this cache is stopped by anyone who thinks it should not be allowed.

Thanks must go to Piggy too for starting this one.

Waiting for my recipt from World Vision to post online.

P.S. I know there may be a small wait for reciepts. I did 6 hrs at the call centre the other day (3/1/05) and the hadn't yet processed donations from the 31/12/04. There is so many donations and the job is done by hand. The whole time I was there I kept thinking this should be computerised.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 05 January 05 6:33 pm

Hmm, maybe a good software designer can get a job designing something for them ! :D Kev :D this is up your alley ??

And thanks to Embi & Riblit, for doing the proper thing with the cache approvals.
They didnt approve it straight away, as I have said before this cache is "borderline".
They followed the rules that they too have to abide by and sought advice from the US.

Thankfully this cache is now in full swing, and hopefully helping ease someone (anyones) suffering in the tsunami disaster zone.

And thanks again to Riblit.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

A question???

Post by leek » 05 January 05 10:15 pm

Are the Aussie approvers willing for this cache to be heavily promoted internationally in the gc.com forums???

Given the response so far, I don't think anyone at in their right mind at gc.com could even consider removing this cache...
If Team Piggy don't want to blow their own trumpet, I'm more than willing to do it for them, but I want to make sure that it's not going to get any local approvers into trouble with gc.com first...

Cheers,
Leek...

p.s. I've just contacted my current employer to see if they'll match my donation (in the spirit of a current scheme that they have running that I only noticed after making my donation)... Hopefully they will, which means that you will have to revise your target Team Piggy... :-)

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 05 January 05 10:39 pm

:shock: Yay! :shock:

I think if we are to push this to an international thing, we need to get the express blessing from Jeremy or hydee.

I have had thoughts about the "Half million dollar cache" and done some groundwork, It could be put to Geo.com as a once off event type of thing purposely for this disaster.

Whats the aussie approvers thoughts ? (Go off board if you like).