Newbie thread: Which Magellan handheld GPS to buy?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
smerrall
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Re: Newbie thread: Which Magellan handheld GPS to buy?

Post by smerrall » 19 October 09 4:58 pm

Echo wrote:So what do people think of the Tritons, does anyone actually use one?
I bought one. There was no documentation as to how many caches could be loaded onto it, so I tried 100 - ok. Tried 500 - ok. Tried NSW. That irrevocably locked up the device with absolutely no way of rectifying it, so off it went for warranty.

Got a replacement which couldn't receive a satellite lock. Warranty 2.

Got a replacement and all good. A new feature was released (can't remember what) and I updated the firmware. Update failed and I had my third Triton brick in 4 months.

Bought Oregon.

Lyn Pat and Nathan
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Lyn Pat and Nathan » 19 October 09 6:04 pm

I hear the Oregons are good. Ive seen them in use but never got to use one yet myself
I am still the owner of my trusty old Meridian Platinums and also a Garmin 60csx. I have been able to compare maps and which unit is better.
Its a hard call now as my Magellan maps are getting old but I still find them accurate.
Garmin are catching up fast on the maps. The new Garmin topo maps are good but not perfect (Tracks are too thick a line) but are routable (but small tracks are not gazeted as roads so wont route).
The Oztopo maps are good too and very similar to the Magellan maps but not routable (nor are the Magellan maps)I like the oztopo but mostly use the Garmin topo.

The Magellan does a few things better than the garmin
1: It averages when finding a waypoint. If you are trying to find a cache you just wait and slowly wander towards the cache. It may take 5 minutes to get it fully accurate but it get there and its perfect. (the Garmin keep jumping around from zero to up to 25m in the space of a few seconds if its in heavy building areas, I suspect it more sensitive to signal reflection). But the Magellan is slow to read.
2: The Magellan compass keeps its direction better if you dont want to recalibrate but the Garmin is fast to recalibrate.
We got so lost in Ho Chi Minh city before I realised we needed to recalibrate the Garmin 60csx compass (first time we used it). The garmin also seems to lose its calibration for no reason at times .....that must be a bug in the system(it needs recallibrating after each battery change as well)
3: Following a line to a waypoint. I can walk a very straight line with the Magellan but the Garmin has me veering left and right. The Magellan is much better for heading though open bush. When returning on your own breadcrumb trail the Magellan is better at this too. (Im sure its because the Magellan is a slower processor and averages better). I will walk so close to my original footprints that you see the same things you walked out past. The Garmin gets there but its all over the place.

What would I buy now.....

The "Garmin 60csx" but I would always have the Magallen Platinum for those hard to find caches and when I need to feel double safe.
The Magellan Oregon ETC would be interesting too but presently you can pick up the Garmin 60csx cheap so that would sway me. (The Garmin needs updating if you buy one as the firmware has a few bugs)

sorry Im a bit off topic but sometimes its nice to know all sides of the story

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 06 December 09 1:57 pm

My Triton 400 died a valiant death (screen implosion while sliding over rocks). I am replacing it with a Triton 1500 (arrives tomorrow hopefully). What I like about the Magellan experience is the "Vantage Point" Software it comes with. Very easy to use.

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 15 December 09 3:24 am

Lyn Pat and Nathan wrote: snip
The Magellan does a few things better than the garmin
1: It averages when finding a waypoint. If you are trying to find a cache you just wait and slowly wander towards the cache. It may take 5 minutes to get it fully accurate but it get there and its perfect.
? What if the person who placed the cache used a "Garmin" (or some other substandard GPS:). Co-ords wouldnt be "perfect" in the first instance so you are averaging with the Magellan to a location that doesnt actually represent the position of the cache anyway - with all due respect its interesting that you find the Magellan is "fully accurate but it get there and its perfect". Seen similar discussions with the WAAS obsessed USA guys who get upset when they lose WAAS/accuracy (~3m to the sad ~5m we get). Geocachers really have no idea what gps was used to position original caches or methods employed by the person placing it so best you can hope for is well inside the accuracy of any gps anyone chooses to use for geocaching IMHO.

Cheers
Greg

hoyks

Post by hoyks » 15 January 12 12:38 am

I have ditched the Triton 400, well,... it had a stroke and died really. It wouldn't boot up so I sent it off for a software service and to my suprise and new eXplorist 510 arrived in the mail as a replacement. It was Christmas and I'm not asking any questions 8-[ :-$ .

In summary, I'm impressed. Premium World Basemaps actually show the world outside the USA, even down to my street name and minor rural roads. It comes with a built in camera and microphone so you can record comments, geotag details or video.

The thing I like is the touch screen and ability to download all the details off the cache webpage for truely paperless caching, and the ability to connect and upload comments direct from the GPS to the webpage. You can select a cache, find it (or not), mark it as found and then select the next closest cache all with a few swipes of a finger. Other nice things are an alarm/chime that my deaf ears can hear and a micro SD card inside behind the batteries.

User Generated Content

Accepts GPX Files Yes
Waypoints 2000
Routes 200
Geocaches 10000
Legs Per Route 500
Paperless Geocaching Yes
Picture Viewer Yes
Tracks 200
Points Per Track 10000
User Data Online Sharing Yes

Taz
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Taz » 09 June 12 7:07 pm

So I've had a look through this thread and I've just been to Rays and have been drooling all over their GPS display...
I've had a look through this thread and a lot of the posts are years old so the models are different to what they were, I was eyeing off the Magellan explorist GC which seemed to tick a lot of boxes. Is it a lot better than the explorist 110? Is the extra price worth it? Is there a better model to look at given I'm on a bit of a budget?

JABs
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 09 June 12 11:18 pm

Hi Taz, GPS units are like cars you are either a ford or a holden fan. The Magellan GC is a great base unit desized for geocaching. It only comes with a basic map but have never had an issue with the unit I have. I also run with Explorist 510 and the kids use the older 500. If you can the newer model 310 is some what better.

The best part of the eXplorist GC is that you don't need to run any other programs to load up caches to it. Easy to use.

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 08 July 12 10:51 am

hoyks wrote:... new eXplorist 510 arrived in the mail...In summary, I'm impressed.
The 710 is now available in Australia and it is pretty much the complete GPSr with turn-by-turn direction (voice commands), so we now don't use TomTom.
Being able to load so many caches (10,000) including the cache page images, is fantastic and saves me a lot of time as I don't worry about filtering and loading the caches that I think I am going to do. I just load the lot! (all of my NSW unfound)
There are still a few minor issues with it though and Magellan are said to be working on (some of?) them:
1. Setting a new WPT and going to it is quite cumbersome.
2. The unit takes about 34 seconds to boot up.
3. If you use the functions that the unit offers - voice recorder, camera, video - then the battery life is seriously depleted. If you ever see a cacher walking around dragging a small cart full of batteries behind them, then you can pretty much safely say that they are using a 610/710 eXplorist :oops:
4. The direction/go to arrow on the map screen is too big and sometimes covers important detail - like the blessed cache!

What I like about the 710:
1. Loads 10,000 caches including the cache page images.
2. Has voice recorder.
3. Has turn-by-turn routing (voice commands) These two functions have eliminated the need to carry/pack two other gadgets which is a relief.
4. The mapping is fantastic - There are 3 levels of maps included in the unit. World basemap, which is quite detailed now, Geoscience Natmap and DiscoverAus streets and tracks - topo which is just brilliant. Shows all minor road tracks, walking tracks, features such as power lines etc and that is for the whole of Australia!
5. Access to the DigitalGlobe satellite mapping on Vantage Point (like Google Earth). And shortly we will be able to load the satellite image onto the GPSr.

I would definitely recommend the new eXplorist range.

chykken

Post by chykken » 21 October 13 2:14 pm

For anyone interested, Rays Outdoors have Magellan handheld GPSr's (ie explorist series) for half RRP. I did spy an explorist 510 for $175, not bad! Though might be worth phoning through before venturing into store to check that they're still in stock.

isolation
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by isolation » 09 December 13 1:06 am

Hey all, total newbie here... It's pretty quiet in this thread, which probably says it all 8-[

I've been looking at the Magellan 710 lately, and was wondering if anyone has an updated opinion of the Explorer units.

I initially wanted the unit for bushwalking, kayak fishing, 4wding, and on/off road motorbiking. The 710 seems to have all I need for the best price. Obviously I'm dead keen to get into GC as well, and it seems to be a good thing for that as well.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to upgrade these units, or will Magellan be sticking with them for a while?

Thanks

John

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 09 December 13 9:09 am

I own a 710 & have so for about a year. Prior to that had 2 Garmins. Decided on a change after reading about the Explorist range, seeing them in the flesh at the Albury Mega & knowing that my Garmin Nuvi was out of date. The 710 has all the bells & whistles, great maps, a comprehensive manual which you print off & will need to read, a forum which is most helpful (Magellan Insiders), fits beautifully in your hand, is light weight, easy to read in full Sun, batteries last a long time if you use lithium's in particular & I purchase these from Kmart for $10 plus they're on my Christmas & birthday wishlists, use rechargeable Eneloops otherwise, has the SiRFstarIII chipset, (Garmin doesn't specify what their's is). You adjust the settings to increase battery life & the suspension mode enhances their life. There are 2 buttons on the side which you specify the use - mine are settings & cache details.

There aren't many out there who use a Magellan so this forum is reflective of that. I use mine for bush walking, geocaching & waymarking. I've dropped it on a rock platform when I fell over (that hurt). It skipped & bounced, lost some skin, stopped but when I rebooted it away it went. The screen didn't get scratched as it is slightly below the level of the case. Would be nice if Zagg had protective covers for them though just in case. It doesn't float but very few do (my old Garmin GPS72 does) & I think you would need 20/20 vision to use any GPSr on a motor bike.

I don't know when Magellan will release a new model but will keep mine for quite awhile yet. Purchased it from Johnny Appleseed & presently are $30 cheaper than what I paid.

I already had a RAM Mount so only had to buy the relevant holder.

The ability to record a memo comes in handy for waymarking in particular but if it is windy forget it.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 09 December 13 9:58 am

I was just reading what pprass was saying about setting Waypoints ie Setting a new WPT and going to it is quite cumbersome.

I actually like the way the unit handles waypoints. I add waypoints all the time when waymarking. Yesterday I was in Warrawong so the first waypoint was WWONG(waymark). The unit remembers your last entry so when I add the next it comes up as WWONG(waymark) so all I have to do is delete the (waymark) & add the new one - saves time. Also if you use Lithiums you wont need more than two sets - one in the device & a spare packet. There is a trick though. When setting the type of battery you're using select alkaline rather than lithium & it lasts a lot longer as it tricks the device's internal battery measuring system.

I described the maps as great but that is an understatement - prefer pprass description.

isolation
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by isolation » 09 December 13 11:13 am

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Tuena!

I've quite often taken the road less travelled, so going against the trend, I might grab one and just consider myself as 'special' lol

I was also considering an Explorist GC for my sister as a Christmas present, I saw them for $99 at Dick Smith yesterday, and I know she'd love GC.

Thanks again

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 09 December 13 4:58 pm

Thanks for the comment. I was in Dick Smith's today killing time until Ender's Game started (like science fiction) & saw a 510 for $199! Johnny Appleseed have them for $280. The offer ender's on 13/12.

isolation
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by isolation » 09 December 13 6:52 pm

Yeah saw that too. I rang them today to confirm the Explorist GC price and they said they are now $49.95!! My girl went and grabbed me one on her way home :D