Munzees!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
juc_cacher

Re: Munzees!

Post by juc_cacher » 16 July 13 11:47 pm

OzMumma85 wrote: What is the etiquette on Munzees inside a geocache (my own GC that is, when I finally place my first one!)
I'm thinking stuck inside the lid for easy capture :)
Also consider that if Munzee'ers who aren't cachers are looking for your Munzee, they may not take as much care with the cache as a cacher would, in terms of stealth and replacing the container.

I am NOT saying that all Munzee'ers are like this, just that the odds of striking one are higher, from what I have seen. I have Munzees near some of my caches (and for the same reason...sharing the view/history/whatever), but deliberately placed so the cache remains hidden unless they're looking for that as well.

The counter argument of course, is you may manage to convert them to a cacher as well :D

2max
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by 2max » 08 August 13 3:30 pm

Finally decided a few days ago to check out what this Munzee stuff is all about, had a good read of the site and this thread, downloaded the app, searched my area, and..... not a cracker! Awww :( So I still have no idea how it all works, but looking forward to finding one one day! :D

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 21 August 13 5:57 pm

Interesting archive log I just came across on http://coord.info/GC1E4FP
This cache is gone. I could replace it, but since there's already a munzee there, and munzee is a superior game for an urban setting like this, I'll let it go. RIP Harrison Ford!
Can't say I agree...

I must admit the mad proliferation of concentrated munzees in my local area has just turned me off hunting for them. I find little joy in taking photos of 28 lamp posts in one fairly ordinary suburban park. There seems to be little creativity or imagination in the choice of location or hide for most munzees. I now basically just save them for when I'm in a new spot, bored, and have no caches to do there.

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 21 August 13 7:38 pm

I've found the same problem. I used to download a gpx of munzees and have them shown on my map along with GC and GCA caches but since they've overcrowded the map, I tend to ignore them.
I have a look when I'm out and about but I've pretty much lost interest.

RebornCyclist
1850 or more caches found
1850 or more caches found

Post by RebornCyclist » 22 August 13 11:00 am

The final straw for me was when after a "power trail" of munzees was laid on a loop road around the Domain in Hobart, two extra loops of virtual munzees making concentric circles with the first were added.
So it just becomes a case of walking along, constantly tapping "capture".
Before that, constantly crawling under park benches was getting to me.
I'm afraid I don't find it even fractionally as rewarding as caching.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 19 August 16 5:26 pm

Got this email just then:
Howdy Yurt
Your account has been placed into an "inactive" status. This indicates you have not captured or deployed a munzee in the past 365 days. We would love for you to get back in the game! We have updated the app since you last played and think you will really enjoy some of our new features. We add new special icons and gameplay elements on a regular basis.
Visit http://www.munzee.com/map or open the Munzee app and get out there today!

*If you do nothing, your account will remain inactive with automatic archival of all physical munzees receiving NR or UtL entries.
We do not "delete" accounts.

Thank You,
Team Munzee
www.munzee.com
I lost interest long ago - I've seen a few when caching but haven't bothered to scan them.

Pokemon Go is probably the final nail? Or is it? Maybe it's still active somewhere.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 19 August 16 7:24 pm

Yep the saturation killed it for me too. Always a problem when you make something competitive, people find easy ways to make it up the leaderboard and to hell with the consequences of it actually being fun for other players. A competitve game needs strong rules, checks and balances to avoid this and munzee never seemed to arrange this. I think it thrives still in its niche, its just migrated away from the original geocaching roots to be its own thing. Less interesting for cachers, but perhaps preferred by others who think looking for boxes or solving puzzles is silly ;)

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 19 August 16 7:28 pm

Yurt wrote:I lost interest long ago - I've seen a few when caching but haven't bothered to scan them.

Pokemon Go is probably the final nail? Or is it? Maybe it's still active somewhere.
Yes I deleted the app ages ago after realising I hadn't even bothered checking for Munzees when in a new area for a long time.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 August 16 7:23 pm

I found 1 :-)

Sambuccasam
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by Sambuccasam » 30 November 16 9:03 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I found 1 :-)
I took a photo of a munzee sticker on a sign, when out caching...i though it may have been something new. it is the only one i have come across so far.

Richary

Post by Richary » 30 November 16 9:56 pm

New Plymouth in NZ seemed to be a hot spot, but after scanning a couple and realising what they were I didn't check any more. Not having the app I didn't log them just having a generic barcode scanner these days on the phone. New or old, I don't know.