Geocaching in Italy

Other issues that relate to international Geocaching.
webwitch
100 or more tracks walked
Twitter: robynls

Geocaching in Italy

Post by webwitch » 13 January 11 11:16 pm

I am almost at the end of a six week long 'immersion' holiday in Florence. About 2 weeks into my stay, feeling lonely for friends, I was seeing what folks were up to back in Australia on Facebook. One friend was talking about how he and his little brood have started Geocaching and were having lots of family fun. Never one to miss an opportunity, I investigated this Geocaching business and thought it sounded like something I would like to try.

The Geocaching community in Florence is very active and wonderful at educating their visitors. Since registering on the Geocaching site, I have walked tens of kilometres, found 27 caches to date (I still have two days!) and have even lost some weight. Florence is a fabulous place to start the sport(?) because it's flat in most places and there are masses of interesting things to see. I think it took me all of two finds and a couple of failures to become completely addicted. I have primed my sister back in Sydney and she is already giving it a go so that we can play together when I get home.

So, if you are coming to Italy, bring your GPS, a pen and some good walking shoes. There is lots to find here.

Ciao,
Robyn
http://www.getjealous.com/robynls

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: Geocaching in Italy

Post by Richary » 13 January 11 11:41 pm

Congratulations Robyn on discovering the hobby. There is quite an active caching community in Sydney and especially around your area (I'm only down at Rydalmere). Look forward to seeing your logs on some of the local caches soon.

It's a great way to discover new places and when I first started I loved how it took me to places I would never have known about. My only European caching experience was Paris but I loved the places I went to. I have been to Florence but that was before geocaching was invented.

When back in Australia make sure you come along to one of the events and meet some of us other addicts!

webwitch

Post by webwitch » 14 January 11 1:22 am

What a speedy response! I might even think that going home has something to looknforward too :?

I am presently hunting a cache that is supposedly easy but it can't find it yet. I would like to have 30 before leaving on Saturday. I like round numbers

Ciao,
Robyn

http://www.robalsmith.id.au

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 14 January 11 7:58 am

well done, interesting you picked this up while on Holiday, but like Richary I have been to Europe pre-Geocaching doh.. but look forward to returning to find out some more interesting places .. but plenty of those in Sydney and indeed Australia.

webwitch

Post by webwitch » 14 January 11 8:38 am

I have Saturday afternoon in Rome before my flight out on Sunday. I have looked and there are some close enough to my hotel for a little bit of fun there, too :)

BTW I got the one I was looking for this afternoon plus one more on the way home.. I have one to go to get 30 before I leave here. I hope that I can do as well when I get back to Sydney.

I'm NOT addicted! I AM NOT addicted!

Ciao,
Robyn

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 14 January 11 7:11 pm

Indeed you are #-o \:D/ \:D/

webwitch

Post by webwitch » 15 January 11 3:48 am

I AM NOT! :^o :^o :^o

Oh, and I got number 30 today so I can leave Florence happy ... for the moment. I have looked up the web to see what is close to my hotel in Rome. I have half a day :D

Ciao,
Robyn

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 19 September 11 3:32 pm

webwitch wrote:I am almost at the end of a six week long 'immersion' holiday in Florence. About 2 weeks into my stay, feeling lonely for friends, I was seeing what folks were up to back in Australia on Facebook. One friend was talking about how he and his little brood have started Geocaching and were having lots of family fun. Never one to miss an opportunity, I investigated this Geocaching business and thought it sounded like something I would like to try.

The Geocaching community in Florence is very active and wonderful at educating their visitors. Since registering on the Geocaching site, I have walked tens of kilometres, found 27 caches to date (I still have two days!) and have even lost some weight. Florence is a fabulous place to start the sport(?) because it's flat in most places and there are masses of interesting things to see. I think it took me all of two finds and a couple of failures to become completely addicted. I have primed my sister back in Sydney and she is already giving it a go so that we can play together when I get home.

So, if you are coming to Italy, bring your GPS, a pen and some good walking shoes. There is lots to find here.

Ciao,
Robyn
We are heading to Venice / Florence / Sicily hopefully in November next year.
May have to read your blog!

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 19 September 11 7:08 pm

I was in Florence for a day last year, but only had time to grab two.
GC13WP7 Galileo's House and
GC1TKCY Mozart E L'Aquila Nera (Mozart and the Black Eagle)

in Rome
GC21M19 The Spanish Steps is a much visited cache in a very popular location

In Venice
GCBD7C Murano Island is a beauty which all the neighbours seem to know about.