Android Geocaching Apps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Echo
1800 or more caches found

Re: Android Geocaching Apps

Post by Echo » 30 December 10 12:27 pm

Damo. wrote:
Echo wrote:
TiedyeSmileys wrote:The Apps I have found useful for Geocaching on my Garmin Asus A50 are:

WhereYouGo - A great app that allows you to do Where I Go caches.

I've been trying to get that to work from GSAK with no luck, any hints? ](*,)
Try installing on your android phone instead? :roll: :P
#-o

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 05 January 11 12:19 am

Well, now it has been a few weeks and loving cachemate on droid.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 09 January 11 12:11 am

Only semi on-topic...

I was looking into rooting my NexusOne when FroYo came out and made the most pressing reasons obsolete (Apps2SD and tethering.)

The new 2.3 doesn't look all that compelling (mostly support for stuff my phone doesn't have.)

I'm wondering if, and if so, why, it's worth rooting 2.2 or 2.3 on my phone? There doesn't seem to be a comprehensive list of the advantages available that I can see...

Has anyone done it, and what are the 'must-haves' that I'm missing out on?

(e.g. I know that it's possible to do HD video, which doesn't thrill me.)

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 09 January 11 5:35 pm

Papa, I have not rooted my phone, but, I must say the fixes out there to fix the phone lag are getting mighty attractive. Samsung have not announced if they will do a 2.3 for my Galaxy, though, have read that they said they would not and would only do 2.3 on Nexus S.

Samsung were supposed to fix the horrible GPS problems on this phone in 2.2, I was out in the mountains, out in the open, and it still took nearly 10 minutes for it to get a lock onto any birds above, I was always seeing 6+, just could not lock onto any.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 10 January 11 8:39 am

regarding the rooting I just saw a video of the CyanogenMod 7 and some of the UI features look pretty good
http://www.androidguys.com/2011/01/06/c ... own-video/

Echo

Post by Echo » 15 January 11 8:38 pm

Has anyone else looked at the app locus?
I installed it today to give it a run & it seems to have real potential for downloading maps for offline use & showing cache data from GPX files.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 16 January 11 5:44 pm

Echo wrote:Has anyone else looked at the app locus?
I installed it today to give it a run & it seems to have real potential for downloading maps for offline use & showing cache data from GPX files.
Perhaps a better way would be request a feature to load POIs from a website ie geocache coords.
eg get geocaches based on centre of displayed map (much like the google map interface), I did request this feature of cgeo, but would be good to ask for a API to display POIs from a nomimated Web address.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 17 January 11 9:45 am

I've rooted my Asus, mostly to remove the optus apps, as I'm not an Optus customer. I'm using an app called "AdFree Android" that removes the ads from free apps, which probably makes it worthwhile.

If you've not got it natively, Swype is pretty awesome, making text entry really easy - I estimate 10x faster. www.swypeinc.com

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 17 January 11 10:01 am

Swype comes native on the Galaxy S and yes, when I have used it, it is better than typing.

As I don't have a data plan as yet, the adverts don't bother me, cause I never see them.

The one thing that does bug me is the pregnant pauses my phone does quite often. I have seen rooted fixes for that, but not tried them yet.

I too have an optus branded phone and half the crap on the screen is optus related stuff I can't use.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 26 March 11 8:27 pm

I've just installed Locus and so far I think it is awesome!

What I have done so far:
1: Download all of the ACT and surrounds topo maps from Google maps for offline use
2: Exported all my unfound caches from GSAK and imported as points that show on the offline map.
3: Used GPSbabel to convert a big Google earth file of many tracks and huts etc. in Namadgi National Park and imported into Locus.

I am absolutely blown away! It does everything I want. It even understands caches, has the listing and all the logs including the GCA caches I have in my DB. Now all I need is a decent GPS lock on my 'droid...

PirateRock
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by PirateRock » 26 March 11 9:39 pm

davroy wrote:c:geo is fantastic! I loving it. And it's free!

Cachemate worked so much better in my Palm T|X, so I'm still using it for paperless caching. I tried the Windows Mobile Cachemate, I did not like it. I tried the Android Cachemate, same problem. I could not add anything to the description for multi caches, eg A=6. So back to Palm for that!
+1 for c:geo.

Every update brings another new feature I can't live without.

Phatt

Post by Phatt » 15 May 11 3:54 pm

PirateRock wrote:
davroy wrote:c:geo is fantastic! I loving it. And it's free!

Cachemate worked so much better in my Palm T|X, so I'm still using it for paperless caching. I tried the Windows Mobile Cachemate, I did not like it. I tried the Android Cachemate, same problem. I could not add anything to the description for multi caches, eg A=6. So back to Palm for that!
+1 for c:geo.

Every update brings another new feature I can't live without.

+1 for c:geo

I have a HTC Wildfire and am on the Telstra 3G network.

I have been installing a few different apps trying to find something suitable for Geocaching and hadn't had much luck, but after reading this thread I decided to give c:geo a try.

I am so glad I did because it works really well, it has everything you need and takes all the fuss out of locating caches.

The only negative I have about my setup is that 3 hours (5 caches) of Geocaching just about flattened the battery of my Wildfire, so I would suggest that you hook it up to your car recharger while traveling between caches.

Cheers,
Phatt.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 18 May 11 11:42 pm

Phatt wrote: +1 for c:geo

I have a HTC Wildfire and am on the Telstra 3G network.

I have been installing a few different apps trying to find something suitable for Geocaching and hadn't had much luck, but after reading this thread I decided to give c:geo a try.

I am so glad I did because it works really well, it has everything you need and takes all the fuss out of locating caches.

The only negative I have about my setup is that 3 hours (5 caches) of Geocaching just about flattened the battery of my Wildfire, so I would suggest that you hook it up to your car recharger while traveling between caches.

Cheers,
Phatt.
I've got a HTC wildfire and am running c:geo as well an my battery lasts a whole day easily (I have wi-fi and mobile internet turned off and GPS turned on)
I'm reasonably happy with it, c:geo is a little slow sometimes but other than that all good - I do still take printouts for multi-caches though as c:geo doesn't really support them very well.
Its certainly a lot easier they downloading gpx files and transferring them to a GPS and making some notes about D/T, size, hints, ect. to print out.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 19 May 11 9:09 am

I was surprised by the big improvement on battery when you turn off 3G, I almost doubled my battery life with 3G off, so perhaps you should try "cache" or download the data and use it in a off-line mode or perhaps just turn on 3G occasionally when you need it.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 19 May 11 8:36 pm

Also just started using c:geo on a Wildfire.
Still learning and only done 2 caches.
Took a while to work out you need to use the phone's menu button to log the cache, but today I did a find nearby, read the notes, found ther cache and logged on line from the cache location.

Just lovin' it