View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 November 17 7:58 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
New Zealand Geocaching Holiday - Maps 
Author Message
1300 or more caches found
1300 or more caches found

Joined: 30 March 08 1:02 pm
Posts: 12
Location: Hobart, TAS
GCA Found: 163
GCA Hidden: 5
100 GCA Finds
Post New Zealand Geocaching Holiday - Maps
We are going to NZ in December 2008 for a couple of weeks and would like to do some geocaching while we are there. We use a TomTom for geocaching in Australia. We can't justify the cost of purchasing NZ maps for 3 or 4 days of caching.
We are looking for any suggestions for how we can geocache in NZ without spending a lot of money on maps. We have our TomTom and a laptop computer (without mobile internet access). We are contemplating purchasing a GPSr for Australian use but have no idea what to get. If we could get a GPSr with reasonably priced overseas maps available we would consider that.
Any advice would be much appreciated.


28 September 08 10:40 am
Profile E-mail
2350 or more caches found
2350 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 31 October 03 11:45 am
Posts: 1213
Location: Benalla, VIC
GCA Found: 50
GCA Hidden: 1
Post 
Buy a Garmin and not only will you have a superior GPSr but you will be able to use the free New Zealand Open GPS Maps Project for Garmin Mapping GPS maps :wink:


28 September 08 11:17 am
Profile
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
User avatar

Joined: 23 August 04 3:17 pm
Posts: 6670
Location: Launceston, TAS
GCA Found: 157
GCA Hidden: 44
100 GCA Finds
Post 
I'm going to NZ tomorrow, and I've built up a good set of maps using gMapMaker to use in OziExplorer which runs on the lappy (and the Navman in my case).

I am having trouble creating maps using the Google Maps settings, however if you select Microsoft Maps it does a pretty good job.


28 September 08 4:26 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 08 April 04 3:06 pm
Posts: 2214
Location: Banana Republic
GCA Found: 15
GCA Hidden: 0
Post 
Rhinogeo +1 :P

Nothing like using free routable maps on your Garmin GPS....about the only thing that is better about NZ. :twisted: :roll: :lol:

mm


29 September 08 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Online
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Posts: 4023
Location: Waitara, Sydney
GCA Found: 1290
GCA Hidden: 23
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post 
CraigRat wrote:
I'm going to NZ tomorrow, and I've built up a good set of maps using gMapMaker to use in OziExplorer which runs on the lappy (and the Navman in my case).
<p>Hi Craigrat<p>I am off to Wellington in September for a week. Am I better off manipulating these myself if it's not too hard or begging you for a CD :D :D :D


27 May 09 10:54 pm
Profile E-mail
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
User avatar

Joined: 23 August 04 3:17 pm
Posts: 6670
Location: Launceston, TAS
GCA Found: 157
GCA Hidden: 44
100 GCA Finds
Post 
richary wrote:
CraigRat wrote:
I'm going to NZ tomorrow, and I've built up a good set of maps using gMapMaker to use in OziExplorer which runs on the lappy (and the Navman in my case).
<p>Hi Craigrat<p>I am off to Wellington in September for a week. Am I better off manipulating these myself if it's not too hard or begging you for a CD :D :D :D

Load the program, set the zoom level and you'll have a Ozi map in about 5 minutes, it's all automatic!

I didn't do the Wellington area, I don't think I built a map further south than Rotorua. I also don't think I kept the maps.

Just use google earth to work out the top left, bottom right co-ordinates of each map you want to make.


28 May 09 7:46 am
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW
Online
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Posts: 4023
Location: Waitara, Sydney
GCA Found: 1290
GCA Hidden: 23
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post 
Thanks, will have a play with it over the next few days. Got plenty of time anyway.


28 May 09 12:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Online
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Posts: 4023
Location: Waitara, Sydney
GCA Found: 1290
GCA Hidden: 23
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post 
Hmmm, any suggestions on how to make it work? I have tried both the area of NZ I am interested in as well as a small local area.

Setting it to driving maps only it goes and retrieves a lot of info and I end up with a blank white map. Setting it to satellite just times out trying to retrieve the data from google (even using the free proxy thing).

CraigRat - how the heck do I set it to use Microsoft maps? Documentation on the web page is basically non existent and I can't find that as an option.


28 May 09 9:18 pm
Profile E-mail
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
User avatar

Joined: 23 August 04 3:17 pm
Posts: 6670
Location: Launceston, TAS
GCA Found: 157
GCA Hidden: 44
100 GCA Finds
Post 
richary wrote:
Hmmm, any suggestions on how to make it work? I have tried both the area of NZ I am interested in as well as a small local area.

Setting it to driving maps only it goes and retrieves a lot of info and I end up with a blank white map. Setting it to satellite just times out trying to retrieve the data from google (even using the free proxy thing).

CraigRat - how the heck do I set it to use Microsoft maps? Documentation on the web page is basically non existent and I can't find that as an option.

You can't get Google Maps, they seem to have that blocked pretty well.
Last time I used it I just picked MSN Maps as the map source and it worked.

Don't have a Windows machine in the house right now to be able to look at it, I'll have a look when I get to the office (if the IT goons haven't blocked THAT as well..)


29 May 09 5:12 am
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
User avatar

Joined: 03 April 03 12:28 am
Posts: 2573
Location: Kalamunda, WA
GCA Found: 18
GCA Hidden: 0
Post 
If you haven't already, it's worth a look at the forums on gps.org.nz and, if your question hasn't already been answered, asking the locals!

The Kiwis are fortunate in that their main land-use body makes all their data freely available. So amateur map-makers have the source data and can work on refinements.

Fancy that, a government department making publicly funded information available to the public!


29 May 09 2:11 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Online
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Posts: 4023
Location: Waitara, Sydney
GCA Found: 1290
GCA Hidden: 23
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post 
Last time I looked the gps.org.nz forums were down, be worth checking again when I get the time though.


29 May 09 11:36 pm
Profile E-mail
Online
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Posts: 4023
Location: Waitara, Sydney
GCA Found: 1290
GCA Hidden: 23
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post 
I've been asking and all I get is that OziExplorer isn't used in NZ because of the other tools available. Heck, all I want is a decent georeferenced map of Wellington and surrounds.

Have tried the links they have posted me to generate maps but no luck there getting anything useful. As data access costs are silly travelling overseas I think I will be back to the old days. A printed image (at least from google earth nowadays) and the arrow.


14 June 09 1:00 am
Profile E-mail
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 08 April 04 3:06 pm
Posts: 2214
Location: Banana Republic
GCA Found: 15
GCA Hidden: 0
Post 
Before going to NZ last year, i was after the same mapping requirements. After some searching, and finding that other packages eg. memory-map topo nz etc was waaaay too expensive ($299) for the short time we were going there, the closest product i came across was the Hema CD map New Zealand (<$30) which contains OZF2 and ECW images.

Image

Though i don't think hema makes it anymore :cry: , and due to a last minute rush, didn't end up purchasing it and used the free Garmin-compatible routable maps instead. :wink: Might be worth a net search for this product or asking around on some NZ forums for someone who has this product.

hope that helps.

mm


14 June 09 9:55 am
Profile WWW
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
User avatar

Joined: 23 August 04 3:17 pm
Posts: 6670
Location: Launceston, TAS
GCA Found: 157
GCA Hidden: 44
100 GCA Finds
Post 
Map Monkey wrote:
Before going to NZ last year, i was after the same mapping requirements. After some searching, and finding that other packages eg. memory-map topo nz etc was waaaay too expensive ($299) for the short time we were going there, the closest product i came across was the Hema CD map New Zealand (<$30) which contains OZF2 and ECW images.

Image

Though i don't think hema makes it anymore :cry: , and due to a last minute rush, didn't end up purchasing it and used the free Garmin-compatible routable maps instead. :wink: Might be worth a net search for this product or asking around on some NZ forums for someone who has this product.

hope that helps.

mm

These maps are at about 250k scale, good for general touring between cities, but have no real detail in city areas


14 June 09 10:13 am
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 08 April 04 3:06 pm
Posts: 2214
Location: Banana Republic
GCA Found: 15
GCA Hidden: 0
Post 
oh. :oops: glad i didn't buy them then. :lol:

mm


14 June 09 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Forum theme by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.