Geocaching Australia
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/

Equity Concerns in the States Of the Nation Game
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19680
Page 2 of 2

Author:  Luckyl10n [ 12 January 18 10:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Equity Concerns in the States Of the Nation Game

I think we also need to recognise that not all finds for those close to borders will be outside their home state and not all will be max point finds. Might be an issue in a close race, but could well be irrelevant by games end. The multiplier to level out the numbers between states could prove to be the difference in the end. After all, there's a pathtag at stake here :-"

Author:  CraigRat [ 13 January 18 8:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Equity Concerns in the States Of the Nation Game

Luckyl10n wrote:
After all, there's a pathtag at stake here :-"

Never underestimate what people would do for a shiny object :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  Richary [ 13 January 18 8:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Equity Concerns in the States Of the Nation Game

Luckyl10n wrote:
I think we also need to recognise that not all finds for those close to borders will be outside their home state and not all will be max point finds. Might be an issue in a close race, but could well be irrelevant by games end. The multiplier to level out the numbers between states could prove to be the difference in the end. After all, there's a pathtag at stake here :-"


I for one certainly aren't accusing any one of trying to "cheat" or "game the system". The way the rules are written for this game is that interstate hides and finds give a bonus. That's obviously easier for some than others. So be it. If I was near a border I would be doing the same. If I lived on the Gold Coast I would be looking over the border into NSW, and vice versa.

As the advantage seems to have upset some people, I made the suggestion that if we run a similar game in the future then maybe a bonus for distance from home might be fairer and put everyone on an equal footing.

Author:  petan [ 14 January 18 11:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Equity Concerns in the States Of the Nation Game

Richary wrote:
Luckyl10n wrote:
I think we also need to recognise that not all finds for those close to borders will be outside their home state and not all will be max point finds. Might be an issue in a close race, but could well be irrelevant by games end. The multiplier to level out the numbers between states could prove to be the difference in the end. After all, there's a pathtag at stake here :-"

The way the rules are written for this game is that interstate hides and finds give a bonus. That's obviously easier for some than others. So be it. If I was near a border I would be doing the same. If I lived on the Gold Coast I would be looking over the border into NSW, and vice versa.


But that's also only an advantage if you haven't found all the GCA caches on the 'other' side of the border or you live in the area with more than one GCA cacher. This is my dilemma.

I also have a problem with long distance hides, or 'holiday hides' as its referred to in the wiki - when there is no maintenance plan defined. How can we attract new players when there are no quality hides? Surely, a quality hide is one that is known to be there and is in good order. If an area is littered with caches which are not there (multiple DNFs or lack of reasonably regular maintenance checks in the case of areas which do not get reasonably regular finds - so the last find is xxx weeks ago) , or are in bad shape - wet logbooks, broken containers, areas where the environment has turned 'bad' etc , then its not an attractive proposition for new players. I note that there is a list of Voluntary Remote Maintainers in the wiki but in the case of Qld's only volunteer - The Garner Family have not logged in since 2014. I did not check on other maintainers for other states.

Author:  CraigRat [ 14 January 18 11:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Equity Concerns in the States Of the Nation Game

petan wrote:
I note that there is a list of Voluntary Remote Maintainers in the wiki but in the case of Qld's only volunteer - The Garner Family have not logged in since 2014. I did not check on other maintainers for other states.

That page probably needs to go, TGF haven't had anything to do with GCA since about 2006 when that page got made.

Discussion of 'quality' and 'holiday caches' and concerns of the like should be raised outside of this thread please in the Geocaching Australia section to keep the core of this topic on track.

Author:  MavEtJu [ 14 January 18 11:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Equity Concerns in the States Of the Nation Game

Richary wrote:
As the advantage seems to have upset some people, I made the suggestion that if we run a similar game in the future then maybe a bonus for distance from home might be fairer and put everyone on an equal footing.


Except that this time it didn't match being related to a "state". Sometimes you have an advantage, sometimes you don't.

Edwin

Author:  andrewbt [ 15 January 18 10:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Equity Concerns in the States Of the Nation Game

phlphotos wrote:
Another cache at Hall "An ode to Geocaching Australia" GA9880 has recently been changed from ACT to NSW as on the 20/12 it was listed as ACT but it now shows as ACT & listed and solved coords are in ACT. Don't know how it relates to Nessel's earlier post, but possibly keying errors


Phlphotos - Absolutely untrue that I changed it in December 2017, I'm somewhat annoyed at the assertion. I placed it in the 2016/2017 games. Heck, we even spoke around the same time of this post and at that point I clarified it. From memory, LuckyL10n even let me know that was the case back in early 2017, and I changed it.. or so I thought.

I didn't go "gee whizz I think this location thing might work to my advantage one day" and deliberately set it - it defaulted to NSW. You noted in our correspondence that others weren't - that's true, I found some trigs along the border that lay on the ACT side, and they were corrected around the same time I thought I fixed the original problem.

It's been fixed again. But hey, that's one cache of 15 mystery/larges I have in Canberra - I had 13 others down the road that could be collected in the span of 90 minutes...in the ACT and would have netted some large points (and just need a cursory glance of wikipedia to solve!)

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/