States of the Nation Scavenger Hunt and hides

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
OldSaint
10000 or more caches found

Re: States of the Nation Scavenger Hunt and hides

Post by OldSaint » 24 December 17 6:16 am

caughtatwork wrote:As a workaround try editing the cache coords then edit and set them back. That may force an update to the elevation. If the Google call fails it sets the elevation to zero. If it's a moveable try moving it and moving it back.

The Google API is not within our control so we choose zero rather than fail the cache creation or update.
Thanks Caughtatwork; just tried it on one showing zero and all my new caches now show true elevations
Merry Christmas and cheers
OldSaint

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 24 December 17 5:33 pm

I still genuinely don't understand the Dragonzone game, nor do I understand the current State of the Nation game. I am aware that I am not in the majority, although I know I am not the only one.

Why does this stuff have to be so convoluted and confusing? It's only supposed to be a game.

1. How can we play the Dragonzone game without being totally unfair to people to live remotely or in an area of few GA cachers?

2. How does the nation game know what state I live in? I cache more in NSW and VIC and SA than I do in ACT, where I reside...I think.

3. I really have no idea about the points for states or territories or what the aim is...? Do I get points for finding caches in a foreign state? Is it more or less than in my home state? Yes I read the list of points for caches, but couldn't find anything about it there.

4. I have absolutely no idea how to log the points in the game. Last year, Steve did it for me, but I am not sure he knew what he was doing, either.

Can anybody help?

I am just about at the point where I need to find another pastime, as this one is making me upset and stressed.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 24 December 17 7:56 pm

Just a cacher wrote:I still genuinely don't understand the Dragonzone game, nor do I understand the current State of the Nation game. I am aware that I am not in the majority, although I know I am not the only one.
It would take a very long post to describe both dragonZone and States of the Nation in one go, so let's deal with the current game first.
DragonZone is completely independent from States of the Nation, and you do not need to join a dZ clan or have any understanding of dragonZone to participate in States of the Nation.
States of the Nation is the current Geocaching Australia is the current Summer game, and participation in it is completely voluntary.
Just a cacher wrote:Why does this stuff have to be so convoluted and confusing? It's only supposed to be a game.
The list of scavenges located here: http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/gam ... scavenges/ sets out the criteria for what kinds of caches you need to go out and find. If there's an GCA cache near you that fits one of the scavenges on the list, and you haven't yet logged a find on it, simply go out and find the cache and log your find online as normal. You can then go to the claims page: http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/gam ... on/claims/ and enter the GA code for the cache in the top box, select the claim you wish to use this cache for from the drop down list, type a short justification note in the text box, then click the submit button.
If the cache you have logged matches the scavenge you are claiming, the resulting page will let you know, and automatically update your point score for you. If the cache you have logged does not meet the criteria for the scavenge you are trying to claim, the resulting page will let you know, and you should try a different claim from the drop-down box. Once you have claimed a few scavenges it will hopefully become more self explanatory for you.
Just a cacher wrote:1. How can we play the Dragonzone game without being totally unfair to people to live remotely or in an area of few GA cachers?
As stated above, we can deal with dragonZone explanations in a future post, as it isn't a prerequisite of playing States of the Nation.
Just a cacher wrote:2. How does the nation game know what state I live in? I cache more in NSW and VIC and SA than I do in ACT, where I reside...I think.
You need to have your home state set on your settings page: http://geocaching.com.au/my/settings
Just a cacher wrote:3. I really have no idea about the points for states or territories or what the aim is...? Do I get points for finding caches in a foreign state? Is it more or less than in my home state? Yes I read the list of points for caches, but couldn't find anything about it there.
The aim of the game is for each state to participate as a team, and achieve the highest average points score out of all states. As the different states will have a differing amount of cachers participating, each state will automatically have a State Balancer applied so that a state with only three cachers playing can compete against a state that has say twenty cachers playing.
If you log and claim caches from a state other than your home state, you will receive a 50% point boost for raiding an opponents state. This information is found on the home page for States of the Nation under the heading Points: http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/gam ... thenation/
Just a cacher wrote:4. I have absolutely no idea how to log the points in the game. Last year, Steve did it for me, but I am not sure he knew what he was doing, either.
When you submit claims from the claims page, the software will automatically assign the correct amount of points to you and will automatically update you state's tally on the ladder page: http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/gam ... on/ladder/
Just a cacher wrote:Can anybody help?
Hopefully I've covered most of the main aspects of the game here, but if you need more advice, I'm more than happy to go over things with you.
Just a cacher wrote:I am just about at the point where I need to find another pastime, as this one is making me upset and stressed.
If it's really that bad, then you are free to ignore the game completely and just go about your usual caching as you normally would. The GCA games are just a bit of fun and provide something different to simply just signing log books and logging finds online. Participation is completely voluntary and up to personal choice.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 25 December 17 8:14 am

Thank you! I do understand a fair bit more now than I did before. I appreciate your time and your efforts. Thank you again!!!!

I will wait a day or two, read it all again, see how I feel about the game. Thank you.

Wendy

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 25 December 17 7:47 pm

Please check your Personal messages for one I sent you last night: http://forum.geocaching.com.au/ucp.php? ... lder=inbox

Kittykatch

Post by Kittykatch » 01 January 18 2:49 pm

I had trouble with the elevation showing as 0 on my new cache. I read the threads, edited my coordinates back and forwards three times and it updated on the third time. Thanks for your help with this :)

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 15 January 18 10:54 pm

Having some great fun with this new game. Thanks Faeries. Just a quick question. A few of us have had problems claiming requirements for unfound days with multiple finders on the same day. Eg myself wazza9 and Nana Nel all found a cache together on the same day and the last finder was some 8 years ago. The system wouldn't let me claim a find for Find a cache not found in 120 days .... just as an example, even though the last online log was 8 years ago. Wazza9 is also finding the same problem with most of his claims as he caches with Nana Nel. Any chance of looking into this??

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 16 January 18 12:57 am

tronador wrote:Having some great fun with this new game. Thanks Faeries. Just a quick question. A few of us have had problems claiming requirements for unfound days with multiple finders on the same day. Eg myself wazza9 and Nana Nel all found a cache together on the same day and the last finder was some 8 years ago. The system wouldn't let me claim a find for Find a cache not found in 120 days .... just as an example, even though the last online log was 8 years ago. Wazza9 is also finding the same problem with most of his claims as he caches with Nana Nel. Any chance of looking into this??
Only one of the three of you can legitimately make the claim, and only if that person claims it before the other two finders post their online logs.
The game software will check that your "found" log is the *only* found log in the previous 120 days.

tronador

Post by tronador » 16 January 18 8:21 am

Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation. Ill let them know that the best way is to do what you suggested.