2017/2018 Summer Game

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: 2017/2018 Summer Game

Post by Richary » 21 November 17 9:31 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Of course that also means you're giving that state a chance to rack up more points because there is now a new geocache out there. Hmmm. What to do?
Or you can always publish it late in the evening of the final day of the game, so nobody has a chance to get it in time. :twisted:

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 22 November 17 7:20 am

Just wanting to check:

"Geocaches you claim for the game must be claimed in the game after the scavenge commences and before the scavenge concludes."

Does this mean I can find 10 geocaches in one day at the start of the game, and claim them at any point throughout the game period? Or do the find dates have to correspond with the week the scavenge has been released?

n0w0rries
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found
Twitter: https://twitter.com/n0w0rries_
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rod.lyon.5

Post by n0w0rries » 05 December 17 8:18 pm

To get things started down here in Victoria I am hosting my first GCA event.
Come on fellow Victorians, lets show the rest how it's done!
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga11112
:D :phoenix :griffin :cerberus :minotaur \:D/

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 07 December 17 8:37 am

Can someone define "scavenge" for me, given that it isn't a word in the real world?

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 07 December 17 9:27 am

Just a cacher wrote:Can someone define "scavenge" for me, given that it isn't a word in the real world?
From dictionary.com .......

verb (used with object), scavenged, scavenging.
1. to take or gather (something usable) from discarded material.

Link..... http://www.dictionary.com/browse/scavenge?s=t

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 07 December 17 5:18 pm

No_Tomorrow wrote:Just wanting to check:

"Geocaches you claim for the game must be claimed in the game after the scavenge commences and before the scavenge concludes."

Does this mean I can find 10 geocaches in one day at the start of the game, and claim them at any point throughout the game period? Or do the find dates have to correspond with the week the scavenge has been released?
I would imagine that the find date would have to correspond with the week the scavenge has been released.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 07 December 17 8:21 pm

Sol, I have to say that your definition was a little less than useful, given the context of a game. I can only assume that you don't actually want me to learn how to play this stuff.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 08 December 17 1:25 am

Just a cacher wrote:Sol, I have to say that your definition was a little less than useful, given the context of a game. I can only assume that you don't actually want me to learn how to play this stuff.
You're in my state (and the same clan) so I want to understand. Come to our event on Sunday and we'll go through the finer points.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 08 December 17 7:11 pm

I think I should have some idea of what it's supposed to be about first.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 December 17 8:13 pm

The last scavenge was a list of thing you could claim against for points.

Like 'Find a cache with apple in it's name' or something.

There will be a list of things, and it's up to you to find something appropriate and claim it.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 08 December 17 8:27 pm

Just a cacher wrote:I think I should have some idea of what it's supposed to be about first.
Check out the list of scavenges for last summer's GCA game:

Summer Scavenger Series: http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/gam ... scavenges/

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 08 December 17 8:59 pm

Just a cacher wrote:I think I should have some idea of what it's supposed to be about first.
You played last year, it's almost the same....just a few weeks shorter and less types of things to hide and find.

See you Sunday at the event and we'll go through it all.

Just a cacher

Post by Just a cacher » 09 December 17 8:31 am

Thank you, J_&_J and Craigrat for your explanation.

I didn't play last year. I didn't understand it. Not even after the event (I think that was last year....?). I just did what Steve told me to do. The idea of bringing states and territories into the whole process fills me with terror. I will never understand it at all.

I have not yet grasped the point of the dragon thing. It seems to me to be most unfair to isolated players.

whitewebbs
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by whitewebbs » 09 December 17 11:16 am

[quote="Sol de Lune" reply to a fellow ACT Cacher

You're in my state (and the same clan) so I want to understand. Come to our event on Sunday and we'll go through the finer points.[/quote].

Interesting, how can you go through the finer points of this year's scavenge with ACT members on Sunday when the games don't start until next Saturday? Do you have insider knowledge? I am sure we would all like to know what is happening a week out from the start.

Any chance the upcoming games can be added to the daily email seeing the games are open to all GCA members and not just dragon zone members (as I understand it)? We might need all the help per State we can get! Go TASSIE

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 09 December 17 12:04 pm

quote="Sol de Lune" reply to a fellow ACT Cacher

You're in my state (and the same clan) so I want to understand. Come to our event on Sunday and we'll go through the finer points.[/quote].
whitewebbs wrote:Interesting, how can you go through the finer points of this year's scavenge with ACT members on Sunday when the games don't start until next Saturday? Do you have insider knowledge? I am sure we would all like to know what is happening a week out from the start.

Any chance the upcoming games can be added to the daily email seeing the games are open to all GCA members and not just dragon zone members (as I understand it)? We might need all the help per State we can get! Go TASSIE
From Just a cacher...
Just a cacher wrote:Thank you, J_&_J and Craigrat for your explanation.

I didn't play last year. I didn't understand it. Not even after the event (I think that was last year....?). I just did what Steve told me to do. The idea of bringing states and territories into the whole process fills me with terror. I will never understand it at all.

I have not yet grasped the point of the dragon thing. It seems to me to be most unfair to isolated players.

So, to try and help Just a cacher understand a little better, I've said I would explain the finer points of how the game works. Nothing more, nothing less.....