What to do first?

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
H and T
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

What to do first?

Post by H and T » 27 September 17 8:03 pm

I have roughly read the explanation of dragonZone but it still confusing me. So having joined a clan ( I think that's the word) what next? I find a cache and log as normal? We use CGeo and then what? Are they the caches on Geocaching.com or the few things that show up on Geocaching Australia? A simplified couple of steps would be appreciated. Thank you.

stainless-steel-rat

Re: What to do first?

Post by stainless-steel-rat » 27 September 17 9:29 pm

Hello H and T

You have joined Griffin well done on the first bit, now a few points:-

Caches listed on GCA are different to those listed on GC.
You have yet to find any GCA caches.
Only physical caches count as DZ caches.

You use CGeo so you have a android device, you can either import the GCA caches for your area into CGeo or just download GA Cacher from the play store and sign in with your GCA username and password, open the app click nearby and then look at the map to see what GCA caches are near you.

You can also look on the website to find caches, cachers and stats etc.

H and T
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by H and T » 27 September 17 10:25 pm

Thanks for that - downloaded the app and then double checked on the map so if Traditional is the only physical cache then there is only 3 within a 300 km radius and one of them has a DNF.

stainless-steel-rat

Post by stainless-steel-rat » 27 September 17 10:30 pm

Physical caches can be Multi's, Puzzle's, Trig Point's, Moveables. As long as there is a real logbook to sign etc.

H and T
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by H and T » 27 September 17 10:42 pm

Ok so there are a few more now but mostly TPs that have never been logged in 8 years. We aren't able to climb so I guess they are out . Think I might stick to the other app - thanks again

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 27 September 17 11:12 pm

Unfortunately in Mackay there are probably few GCA caches to be found. Of course you have the opportunity to change that by placing some. The downside is that they won't get that many finds except perhaps for people there on holidays or work trips. But like anything, it is a growth thing. Nobody there has found many because they aren't there to be found, so at the same time they don't place them. It's probably the same when Groundspeak tried to get caches in a new country or area in the past - if they don't exist already nobody in that place will get into the hobby and bother looking for them, so they won't place them. I visited Paris in the mid 2000's and I found all 14! caches that were active within about 50km of the CBD - all placed by holidaymakers before they started restricting how far from home you could hide.

I don't know how big the caching community is up there (though I made a few finds on a work trip a few years ago) but if you start placing GCA caches, then hopefully locals will start placing their own and add to the community.

Trigs of course tend to be on top of hills, and often private property so can be an issue if nobody has visited before to confirm it is accessible.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 29 September 17 9:30 pm

H and T wrote:I have roughly read the explanation of dragonZone but it still confusing me. So having joined a clan ( I think that's the word) what next? I find a cache and log as normal? We use CGeo and then what? Are they the caches on Geocaching.com or the few things that show up on Geocaching Australia? A simplified couple of steps would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hi H and T, welcome to the GCA forums.

To get up to speed with dragonZone, please be sure to check the wiki, specifically this page: http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/DragonZone

If you still have questions, please ask here and we can help you out.