Re: Christmas in July Game

Post by whitewebbs » 03 July 17 11:53 am

Thanks for the info

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 05 July 17 7:52 pm

Finally got a chance to get out and grab some caches today. Thank goodness I left some of the Blossom* puzzle caches from the SSS for a rainy day :D \:D/

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 06 July 17 1:28 pm

Lucky you. My nearest accesible caches are all trigs far away in all directions. 75km ENE, 115km NW, 100km (not on GCA yet) SSE, and 125km WSW.
That's like living in central Sydney and driving to Wollongong, Newcastle, or Lithgow just to snap a photo of myself there. ](*,)
I can't do them all with my gas guzzler, work and other commitments. AND THE BOXES KEEP SAYING FIND!!! :evil:

It will take a miracle (or a lot of moveables to magically turn up) for me to see day 26. [-o<

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 July 17 2:03 pm

Next weekend, take a day trip away. Collect a dozen. Use them for this week and next week. You can find and keep in your bank or find and use retrospectively. I intend on heading down to Rosebud this weekend (if planning works out) to find a dozen or so to see me through to the end of the game (if a few more hides come up). 254km round trip. You don't need to get to box 26. You just need to be in a winning position at the end of the game.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 06 July 17 2:49 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Next weekend, take a day trip away. Collect a dozen. Use them for this week and next week. You can find and keep in your bank or find and use retrospectively. I intend on heading down to Rosebud this weekend (if planning works out) to find a dozen or so to see me through to the end of the game (if a few more hides come up). 254km round trip. You don't need to get to box 26. You just need to be in a winning position at the end of the game.
:shock: So that means of I find a cache today I can claim it on tommorrow gift box or any other gift box in the future.
I didn't know that. I thought you could only claim gifts on caches found when those gifts opened.
Where does NoTomorrow live. We could drive up and hide a few near you.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 July 17 3:17 pm

Yes you can. Same way that on your real world Advent calendar you can eat all the chocolate from the start of the month up until today (but you can't eat any from the future).

So find some this week and use next week. Take a rest this week, find some next week and apply to this week. Essentially you can use any dZ geocache you find (or hide as applicable) during the game period for any date. There is no restriction on dates except that you hide or find must be during the game.

http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/game/xmasinjuly
Gift boxes that are opened can be completed at any point until the end of the game unless otherwise indicated.
Gift box claim dates must between the start and end dates of the game.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 06 July 17 8:32 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Next weekend, take a day trip away. Collect a dozen...

...You don't need to get to box 26. You just need to be in a winning position at the end of the game.
Weekend trip - great in theory. Anyone willing to pay for a couple of days off work and the fuel to reach 12 geocaches? I'm usually busy on weekends with church stuff as hubby is a minister.

Day 26 - I realise I don't need to, but I wanted to do them all. Some of us like to conquer games.

Where is No Tomorrow? Look for the conglomeration of GCA caches in central west NSW. Now, if anyone else wanted to do a weekend trip, there are more than enough here for every day of this month.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 06 July 17 10:15 pm

No_Tomorrow wrote:Where is No Tomorrow? Look for the conglomeration of GCA caches in central west NSW. Now, if anyone else wanted to do a weekend trip, there are more than enough here for every day of this month.
And there are quite a few good ones among them. The virtuals are entertaining as well......not that they'll help with Christmas in July but, when in Rome....

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 07 July 17 1:09 pm

Enjoying the Christmas in July, great to have another GCA game to strategise over. Just one question though ... are all the 'challenges' going to be the same?

Was expecting a bit more variety. Early days I know but just curious.

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 07 July 17 3:52 pm

This game is simple because the last game was complex. The next game will be complex and the one after that will also be a challenge.

The winter game is an encouragement to get out two or three times over the month and find some geocaches, hide some geocaches and have a little bit of competition with a prize or two. The games designers felt too much work and effort two or three times a year will be followed by too many complaints. So the games designers build the game mechanics to vary the effort, vary the types and try to balance the games for everyone in very diverse geographic areas. There are a lot of things that go into a game, including many weeks of discussion to balance the game between those who have found few vs. those who have found many. Those who like in geocache rich area and those who live with nothing round them. This game started the long journey in October 2016 and has taken the minds and skills of half a dozen people to come down to a simple, mid year, cold weather game that can be enjoyed and achieved by most people.

We currently have games planned for:
December 2017 / January 2018
2nd quarter 2018
3rd or 4th quarter 2018
We are also thinking about a game strategy for mid-2019

We will post an invitation to the general community soon to invite people who are interested in game mechanics, coming up with game ideas and proposals, working with the other games designers to balance the games and plug the loopholes to engage with the developers to build games that can be enjoyed by most.

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 07 July 17 4:05 pm

Thanks for the info.

Still in awe of just how much goes on in the background of GCA with so few people doing all the work!

Thanks again GCA-HQ =D> =D> :minotaur

tronador

Post by tronador » 07 July 17 5:09 pm

And I am loving this game as it is a little like Geosportz a game of strategy. I'm happy not to go for a mid winter swim this year though. ....just saying. ....... :D

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 07 July 17 6:00 pm

tronador wrote:And I am loving this game as it is a little like Geosportz a game of strategy. I'm happy not to go for a mid winter swim this year though. ....just saying. ....... :D
Swimming, skiing.....its just a matter degrees really. Sounds like you enjoyed your recent trip through the national capital as well. Thanks for the cool logs.. :D

tronador

Post by tronador » 07 July 17 6:20 pm

Sol de Lune wrote:
tronador wrote:And I am loving this game as it is a little like Geosportz a game of strategy. I'm happy not to go for a mid winter swim this year though. ....just saying. ....... :D
Swimming, skiing.....its just a matter degrees really. Sounds like you enjoyed your recent trip through the national capital as well. Thanks for the cool logs.. :D
Now I would totally be up for a skiing challenge. ... thanks for the awesome hides.

tronador

Post by tronador » 20 July 17 9:54 pm

Just wondering if there is a glitch in the software. Only 20 gifts have been released as of today's date but there is one cacher on the ladder with 21 claims. :shock: