Trophies

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
caughtatwork

Trophies

Post by caughtatwork » 19 May 14 3:55 pm

The next activity for me in dragonZone is to make trophies. These are what you may know as achievements, or souvenirs (blegh), or rewards or um, trophies in other various game plays.

My initial thoughts are that there shall be 5 levels of trophy.
Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and er, something better than Platinum ("Plastic")

Bronze trophies are those which are most easily achieved. Find a traditional. Find a moveable. Find a TrigPoint. etc.
Silver trophies are those which are less easily achieved. Achieve 100 dZ Finds. Achieve 10 dZ Hides.
Gold trophies are those which are pretty hard to achieve. Find all "valid" dZ cache types on the same day. Achieve 1,000 dZ Finds. Achieve 100 dZ Hides.
Platinum are for the very dedicated. Fill your 365 calendar days cached. Find a dZ cache on the first of every month.
"Plastic" are for the insane.

That's give you the idea. Find and Hides are only counted if they were achieved after you joined the game. So no going back 2 years to find an achievement. All people start on the same playing field. It's possible that any new trophies will only be valid from "that day going forward". i.e. If we introduce a new trophy you need to achieve it going forward. No going back.

Bronze trophies would get you some personal dZPoints. Let's say 10. Silver, say 20. Gold maybe 50. Platinum would be 100 and "Plastic", 500 dZPoints. These are all just numbers at the moment without a terrific amount of thought.

Of course, you get trophies in your Gloat Gallery (name subject to change by the sane) which you then use as additional bragging rights.

As an initial idea is this good, bad, horrible, meh?

nutwood

Re: Trophies

Post by nutwood » 19 May 14 7:58 pm

My initial thought is it shouldn't be all about the numbers. As per previous discussion on GOT inspiration, manipulation, subterfuge and general deviousness should also be recognised. :D
Possibly by a slightly bent or twisted trophy?

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 01 June 14 11:12 pm

Bling and achievements are always good. One offs are good, but graded badges/trophies/bling are better.

Think BadgeGen, Ingress Badges etc... there are certain badges and the lowest level is pretty easy to get. Each level is increasingly tricky, requiring dedicated time and/or effort. There are so many challenge style caches to use for inspiration too! The risk is making it too east to reach high levels. Better to err on the ridiculously challenging to get for the top level rather than too easy!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 June 14 7:49 pm

Initial load of trophies. Not live yet, just for looking and comments.
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/trophies/caughtatwork

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 15 June 14 11:36 pm

Beacon cache?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 June 14 9:03 am

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Beacon_Cache
Coming up to 4 years old as a cache type.

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 16 June 14 4:19 pm

Miss read this as a Bacon cache.

Mmmm, a cache of Bacon.

:lol:

Richary

Post by Richary » 16 June 14 7:08 pm

Ahhh those. Something I don't take any notice of as I don't have the technology.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 19 June 14 8:52 pm

I like trophies :D

If you're still looking for another level, diamonds are good

Will we get trophies for levels already found? eg "first trig" - I've already found quite a few. Do I get this credit already? Or do I get it when I find my first trig after the trophy thing is officially declared as starting? If it's the latter, hurry up and declare it open as I'm off to NT very soon!!!

And what's a "dragonZone" find? I mean, all GA caches are dragonZone caches so I'm not sure what this one means?

Thanks for another nice game to chase

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 June 14 10:24 pm

Trophies which don't specify a date will be open ended. i.e. When you make you "next" log, it will be awarded. So as more trophies are created, if you already qualify you get the trophy.

There will be another category of trophies for timed activities. They will need to be accomplished in the time frame to be awarded. These won't be running for a little while.

So you don't have to panic, any cache you found after you joined the dragonZone game will count. I've still got to get the awarding mechanism sorted out, so it will be a little while yet. Of course, trophies come with dZPoints too, so the more trophies you achieve, the faster you achieve the next level of dragonZone goodliness.

A 'dragonZone' cache is a cache that you can use in dragonZone. So webcams, events, virtuals, locationless, etc, don't count. i.e. You need to find a cache which is a dragonZone cache type to get that trophy.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 June 14 3:46 pm

Trophies are up.
http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/trophies/caughtatwork/ (as an example).

10 points for Bronze
50 points for Silver
100 points for Gold
500 points for Blaze
Variable points for Limited (none currently available).

Go to your cacher page.
From the tabs hover over My and click Cacher Page
Hover over dragonZone and click on Trophies

If you're visiting your own page, you get a link named UPDATE which you can click to self serve update your trophies. Done this way as some cachers may not want to participate in trophies and therefore they get to ignore any potential trophies they may have earned. It also saves CPU time on our server by only updating on demand. Sorry, we need to be a little bit cheap and cheerful nowadays as our infrastructure grows old and weary.

So when you're done logging for the day, visit your page and update your trophies. If you miss claiming a trophy for Bronze, Silver, Gold or Blaze they will always be available for your next update. If you miss updating your Limited Edition trophies during the applicable time period... tough luck. Once they've elapsed, they're gone.

sharnie's tribe
9500 or more caches found

Post by sharnie's tribe » 22 June 14 6:11 pm

Tried to follow the directions to update trophies and discovered we have a bonus back slash in our team name all of a sudden and we're therefore listed as neutral. On the banner tab the team name is right, just not under trophies.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 June 14 8:27 pm

Fixed and 10 bonus points awarded for finding a bug.

sharnie's tribe

Post by sharnie's tribe » 22 June 14 9:04 pm

Wonderful, thank you

sharnie's tribe

Post by sharnie's tribe » 22 June 14 9:45 pm

Ummm, could you please check the points tally? Think we may have been allocated more than the bonus 10 points promised.