Feature Request! - Zone Watch List

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 12 May 14 3:33 pm

Much like the Cache watch list, would it be possible to be able to "watch" a DragonZone for changes in control. I dont mean watch all finds and moves in the zone, just to get an email notification when the Zone changes allegiance. This would be super useful in keeping tabs on when some sneaky raider claims your home zone! ;) A daily email would be awesome rather than one every cache log....

EG - 12/5/14 :
Minotaur has CLAIMED Manly (NSW) from Phoenix! (Insert Zone Control Score Here)
City of Sydney is now CONTESTED by Cerberus & Griffin (Insert Zone Control Score Here)

etc... ?

I see there is a Zone Control history feed already, could that be used to fuel this? :?:

caughtatwork

Re: Feature Request! - Zone Watch List

Post by caughtatwork » 13 May 14 9:00 am

Lots of possibilities. Not sure I can trap clan control individually. We can certainly catch any / all activity in a zone, whether it changed allegiance or strengthened / weakened a clan control.

You want to select particular zones to watch? There's over 500 of them, so if you want to watch a lot, you'll have a lot of clicking.

We could create a summary of the days dragonZone zone activities showing what a zone looked like at the start of the day and at the end of the day, but it would be for every zone that had activity.

We could create a summary of the days dragonZone zone activities based on a zone being "in a radius" of your home location. Then you wouldn't have to click each zone, it would cross state boundaries, etc. Of course, if you don't care about those within the radius but not in a direction you cache, that might be pointless. i.e. I don't cache east of the Melbourne CBD much, but they would get covered in my radius. Irritating.

What other ways are there to select a zone?

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 13 May 14 9:43 am

Would you also be able to take late logging into account? I often go away for a weekend, and log everything when I get home, sometimes a week or so late. So today I could log a find that changed control of a zone last Saturday.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 May 14 9:55 am

History is based on the day you log, not the date of the find. So if you log a cache today for a log of last weeks find that takes control of a zone it would appear in todays advice.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 13 May 14 1:34 pm

Hmmm Id say the radius with a daily summary is probably the best option... most of the time people will want to watch zones close to home that they can affect. Further away zones aren't as critical as you aren't there to change them anyway.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 May 14 10:06 pm

As a prelude, this is what I'm thinking.

http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/zonecontrolsummary and http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/zon ... yesterday/

It won't look anything like this cool in an email.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 14 May 14 12:40 pm

=D> That'll do!

An opt-in email ASCII version by radii with a link to full feature state page would be awesome =D>