Report dragonZone issues / problems here

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
Sol de Lune

Re: Report dragonZone issues / problems here

Post by Sol de Lune » 29 October 17 11:55 am

sirius Tas wrote:Would like some clarification on how Karma pts are given, as I've noticed that pts given are not consistent.
Are karma pts reduced for subsequent finds on the same cache?????
As mine certainly have.e.g. pts awarded were originally 3 pts...then later finds were only 2 or 1 on the exact same cache.
It depends on the finders dragonZone level....

A cacher who is at the Dragon Fodder level will only give you 1 point every time they find a cache, while someone at the Merchant level may give you 2 points and someone at the Duke level will give you 3 points.

So, the higher the players dZ level, the higher the Karma points are awarded for their finds. This would mean that if 3 cachers find one of your caches and they are at vastly different dZ levels, you could be award 1,2 and 3 points for the same cache.

Hope that helps.....

sirius Tas
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by sirius Tas » 29 October 17 12:56 pm

Hi Sol de Lune,
Many thanks for that....much appreciated....that makes perfect sense.
Just something I wasn't aware of.
Cheers =D>

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 01 November 17 7:38 pm

nutwood wrote:Not so much an issue as a question that I'm not sure where to pose. How does the distance thing work? I notice there are trophies for distance traveled geocaching. I even have an Abel Tasman for circumnavigating the world twice but I'm not sure how I earned it. Is it the sum of the distances between successive finds or some more complex calculation?
Moving caches will skew the distance trophy. As caches that you have previously found continue to move, so too will the distance you've travelled increase. This is a known quirk, and actually adds a bit of fun to the dragonZone trophy aspect. The good thing about this is that everyone is in the same boat, and actually makes some of those seemingly impossible trophies just a little easier to achieve.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 01 November 17 9:24 pm

J_&_J wrote: Moving caches will skew the distance trophy. As caches that you have previously found continue to move, so too will the distance you've travelled increase. This is a known quirk, and actually adds a bit of fun to the dragonZone trophy aspect. The good thing about this is that everyone is in the same boat, and actually makes some of those seemingly impossible trophies just a little easier to achieve.
Oh dear, now I am confused. I thought Moveables didn't count towards "caching distance" as there were separate trophies for moving them? I'm sure I asked that question a while back.
Does this mean the "Distance traveled Caching" is the sum of the distance between consecutive fixed cache finds (traditionals, trigs etc) plus the sum of the distance you have moved moveables plus the sum of the distance traveled by moveables after you have released them? If that's the case, I need to find someone going to Europe for a few weeks and hand them a dozen moveables to take on a holiday!

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 02 November 17 7:16 pm

nutwood wrote:
J_&_J wrote: Moving caches will skew the distance trophy. As caches that you have previously found continue to move, so too will the distance you've travelled increase. This is a known quirk, and actually adds a bit of fun to the dragonZone trophy aspect. The good thing about this is that everyone is in the same boat, and actually makes some of those seemingly impossible trophies just a little easier to achieve.
Oh dear, now I am confused. I thought Moveables didn't count towards "caching distance" as there were separate trophies for moving them? I'm sure I asked that question a while back.
Does this mean the "Distance traveled Caching" is the sum of the distance between consecutive fixed cache finds (traditionals, trigs etc) plus the sum of the distance you have moved moveables plus the sum of the distance traveled by moveables after you have released them? If that's the case, I need to find someone going to Europe for a few weeks and hand them a dozen moveables to take on a holiday!
The dragonZone trophies....

Staying Near Home Traveller
Weekend Traveller
Weeklong Traveller
Long Distance Traveller

....all reward cachers for the distance a moving cache has been *moved*.

The dragonZone trophies....

Ferdinand Magellan
Abel Tasman
Capt James Cook
Francis Drake

....all reward cachers for the distance travelled to *find* a valid dZ cache.

Moving caches are excluded from these Missions:

Nemiodoil Spark Maker
Aisaid Match Lighter
Doapie Ember Creator
Chudhu Firestarter
Bidaed Fire Blaster
Piellel Flamethrower
Frighid Scorching Erupter

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 02 November 17 9:05 pm

J_&_J wrote: Moving caches will skew the distance trophy. As caches that you have previously found continue to move, so too will the distance you've travelled increase.
I'm sorry, still confused! I understand the different trophies but I'm curious as to how the caching distance is calculated. I would have thought the only true way to calculate caching distance would be the distance between consecutive logs, with a certain amount of trust that people wouldn't "game" it. Whether it's a moveable find, followed by a hide, or a DNF, followed by a trig; the distance between consecutive logs is a relatively simple calculation. If however, it includes the subsequent travels of moveables, surely this opens up an entire new element?

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 05 November 17 9:42 am

nutwood wrote:If however, it includes the subsequent travels of moveables, surely this opens up an entire new element?
Yep. The element of fun and chance.

Based on the order of logs distance is calculated between caches.

A to b is 10km.
B to c is 20km.
C to d is 5km but is a moveable so when it moves it changes so C to d becomes 100km.
If d moves closer to c then the distance decreases.
If you do a lot of moveable distance can easily have you moving from one side of the country to the other.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 05 November 17 6:44 pm

Hmmm, to me it simply means that the description of the trophies should be altered from "distance travelled caching" to "random distance award", but it's only a game so I'll get back to caching and stop fussing over the logic. Many thanks for attempting to explain the unexplainable!

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 25 December 17 9:39 pm

I found 2 multi's last weekend but they don't appear in the allocate points list under My Dragon Zone. Any ideas???

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 25 December 17 10:00 pm

tronador wrote:I found 2 multi's last weekend but they don't appear in the allocate points list under My Dragon Zone. Any ideas???
When you say "last weekend" you do mean the weekend just gone, ie: 23 and 24 December?

If it was the weekend prior, then you have missed your seven day window to allocate points to recent finds.
I've done it myself, and only during the last few months when I should have known better.

tronador

Post by tronador » 25 December 17 10:13 pm

J_&_J wrote:
tronador wrote:I found 2 multi's last weekend but they don't appear in the allocate points list under My Dragon Zone. Any ideas???
When you say "last weekend" you do mean the weekend just gone, ie: 23 and 24 December?

If it was the weekend prior, then you have missed your seven day window to allocate points to recent finds.
I've done it myself, and only during the last few months when I should have known better.
I found them on the 17th. Well that's disappointing..... I didn't know there was a use by date on allocating points.

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 25 December 17 10:25 pm

tronador wrote:I found them on the 17th. Well that's disappointing..... I didn't know there was a use by date on allocating points.
There is indeed a use by date on allocating points.

I checked the dragonZone Wiki and this fact is mentioned twice, but only in the TIPS section: http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/DragonZone#Tips

I shall endeavour to get it mentioned further up the wiki page once the silly season has died down a bit.

Luckyl10n
10000 or more caches found

Post by Luckyl10n » 12 January 18 8:01 pm

Can someone tell me whether the elevation for a cache is taken from the posted coords or the actual coords? I expect it would be the actual coords, as that is where the cache 'actually' is, but I'm curious.

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 12 January 18 8:25 pm

I couldn't imagine it'd be anything other than the listed coordinates.

Luckyl10n

Post by Luckyl10n » 12 January 18 9:07 pm

J_&_J wrote:I couldn't imagine it'd be anything other than the listed coordinates.
So to meet the elevation hide scavenges, I could use suitable listed coords to get the elevation I need, but hide the actual cache in a much more accessible area? That seems odd to me, surely it should be taken from the location of the cache, not the posted coords for the puzzle or a multi?