Report dragonZone issues / problems here

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
caughtatwork

Report dragonZone issues / problems here

Post by caughtatwork » 15 April 14 10:36 am

If you find a bug in any of the dragonZone code, please list it here.

Please try to provide as much information as possible, including the Cache ID (e.g. GAnnnn or TPnnnn), what date / time the issue was detected and what you were doing (e.g. logging, changing a log, logging a find / move, allocating additional points, etc). This was we can look directly into the issue at hand.

For display issues (e.g. things looking "wonky" on your screen, columns not aligning, data overrunning the page, etc), please let me know what browser (and version) you are using (e.g. IE8, FF23, Chrome 1billion) and what doesn't appear correctly. This will help identify whether it's a browser specific issue or a general issue.

For any genuine bug which you detect and we squash, you will be rewarded with 10 dragonZone points.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: Report dragonZone issues / problems here

Post by Zalgariath » 18 April 14 12:11 am

Chrome - Version 34.0.1847.116 m

3rd Column in main DragonZone screen header runs over 2 lines... (84 Dragon Zones Controlled).

I dont know if you care about mobile devices Chrome Browser for Android... score columns are all wonky on that ;)

The numbers appear on one line, the % on the next... I'll screen shot it...

...sent to the GCA G+ Stream

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 April 14 12:47 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Chrome - Version 34.0.1847.116 m

3rd Column in main DragonZone screen header runs over 2 lines... (84 Dragon Zones Controlled).

I dont know if you care about mobile devices Chrome Browser for Android... score columns are all wonky on that ;)

The numbers appear on one line, the % on the next... I'll screen shot it...

...sent to the GCA G+ Stream
Thanks for the feedback. Depending on your screen dimensions some of the content will wrap to 2 lines. I've made a small tweak to remove one column, add that data to the zones column and show you the count of caches, dragonZones and states. This gives 20% more the screen to the (now) 4 columns in play and hopefully they won't wrap and more than they do at full screen. I've also tweaked down the width of the coloured boxes so hopefully they won't wrap / drop down to new lines.

The site is not a mobile site, it's a browser based site, so the site will not always render perfectly. From my phone I get a wide page, but the writing is all smooshed down, so I just pinch to expand so I can read the content and swipe the page back and forth across the window. Not perfect by any means, but I also don't want to have to maintain a mobile version of the main site.

Please let me know if the new layout is "better" than before.

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 18 April 14 5:54 pm

I was having the same issue but it's much easier top read now.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 28 April 14 1:49 pm

Do only caches logged and dated after the date a cacher joined DZ count for points? I helped Mistraluna join DZ after we got back from the mega as we couldn't get her back into GCA due to a password problem whilst we were travelling. The few GCA caches that she did whilst we were travelling and logged after we got back don't seem to have earned her any points.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 April 14 2:10 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:Do only caches logged and dated after the date a cacher joined DZ count for points? I helped Mistraluna join DZ after we got back from the mega as we couldn't get her back into GCA due to a password problem whilst we were travelling. The few GCA caches that she did whilst we were travelling and logged after we got back don't seem to have earned her any points.
To answer the first question, yes. The date you found a cache needs to be on or after you joined the game. What dates were you travelling and which caches are involved?

Chwiliwr

Post by Chwiliwr » 28 April 14 2:53 pm

We started 3am on 14th and arrived back on Sat 19th. The GCA caches that she has logged so far were the moveables that I had in the car to take with us to SA with a log date of 14th. Was using them as a teaching method to refresh her knowledge on how to log GCA caches after we got her back into the GCA site on the weekend. I still have to teach her how to do trig caches.

There are a few more trigs and other caches that we did across the Nullabour that we haven't got to yet as we have to catch up to the 640+ GC caches first.

Taz
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Taz » 03 May 14 10:31 am

I'm not entirely certain because I have trust issues with my computer but is there an area in NW Tas with no zone? Around http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp6844 <--- that area?
I've been trying to get the drazonzone for that part of the state to come up and it is being very elusive.....

:minotaur

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 May 14 6:06 pm

Taz wrote:I'm not entirely certain because I have trust issues with my computer but is there an area in NW Tas with no zone? Around http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp6844 <--- that area?
I've been trying to get the drazonzone for that part of the state to come up and it is being very elusive.....

That zone is known as Circular Head (M). http://geocaching.com.au/zone/view/2449/

It's a very, very complex zone with lots of ocean points and a lot of very small islands offshore and it does eventually draw as a single zone from the link above.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp6844 shows as belonging to Circular Head (M), so we know there is a dragonZone there.

It looks like it's not making it to the Google Maps server when trying to display on the large caches maps. I'm not sure there's anything we can do at this end to resolve this because if Google Maps is restricting the volume of data it will show, we can't change that.

I'll see if there anything we can do to simplify the zone, but don't hold your breath, I'm not even sure where I can start.

Taz

Post by Taz » 03 May 14 7:05 pm

ok Cool not too stressed was just a bit confused when I couldn't get it to show up on the map. Now I know it is a zone I'll ignore the map, probably not going to get up that way too soon anyway :D

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 05 May 14 6:38 am

I don't think this counts as a bug, it just looks strange. I was in the zone control screen, looking to see who controlled various zones in NSW. I found Blue Mountains in the Griffin list. Then I clicked on Blue Mountains, and saw that it was coloured blue on the screen. Went back to zone control, looked up Cerebus controlled zones, and found Blue Mountains is also on their list.

Numbers for Blue Mountains are:
Griffin 13
Phoenix 8
Cerebus 13
Minotaur 5

So I'm guessing it's listed under both because they have the same number of points, but is coloured blue because Cerebus claimed it first?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 May 14 8:42 am

Toriaz wrote:I don't think this counts as a bug, it just looks strange. I was in the zone control screen, looking to see who controlled various zones in NSW. I found Blue Mountains in the Griffin list. Then I clicked on Blue Mountains, and saw that it was coloured blue on the screen. Went back to zone control, looked up Cerebus controlled zones, and found Blue Mountains is also on their list.

Numbers for Blue Mountains are:
Griffin 13
Phoenix 8
Cerebus 13
Minotaur 5

So I'm guessing it's listed under both because they have the same number of points, but is coloured blue because Cerebus claimed it first?
Dual controlled zone colors are problematic. I can only color a polygon (dragonZone outline) once. So what happens if a zone is controlled by multiple clans is that of the 4 clans, the "last" one gets the visual control color. The clans are ordered as Griffin, Phoenix, Cerberus , Minotaur. The mathematical calculations are correct, just that the zone doesn't 100% reflect control.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 05 May 14 8:53 am

Could we use a 5th colour to indicate 'under contention' or some such thing?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 May 14 9:29 am

CraigRat wrote:Could we use a 5th colour to indicate 'under contention' or some such thing?
Interesting. It's very possible. I'll have a look tonight.

Taz

Post by Taz » 05 May 14 9:56 am

While you're looking at colours and I hate to be picky but obviously I'm going to anyway.
You can't tell the difference on the map between Griffin and Minotaur.... not that it's a huge big deal, quite frankly you just click and find out who's got an area but they do look the same :wink: