Report dragonZone issues / problems here

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Re: Report dragonZone issues / problems here

Post by blossom* » 23 March 15 12:04 pm

caughtatwork wrote: They're listed under the Unincorp. Other Territories (Western Australia) LGA for DZone purposes.
Oooh goody! Now all i need is a big ammo can to take out there and hide somewhere beautiful :D

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 07 June 15 7:10 pm

Just noticed on this page...

http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/

"9 of 8 States"

It shows Phoenix as controlling 3 states, but when you click on the State Control tab it only shows they have 2.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 June 15 7:31 pm

I know about that. Christmas Island, Cocos Island and Lord Howe Island are so far away from their respective owned states that they cause a mapping issue. I've temporarily isolated them while I work out how to solve the problem. Thanks for noticing and bringing it up else I probably would have forgotten about them.

Richary

Post by Richary » 07 June 15 10:23 pm

I guess with GCA/Dragonzone caches there is the option to control overseas areas as well, as I have found a GCA moveable on the way to the Dunedin mega (that is hopefully back home now) and a GCA trad in Auckland. Adds to the complexity.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 June 15 1:19 pm

At the moment, only the Australian LGA zones are counted. So if you happen to find something outside Australia it ends up in an unknown zone.

The state count has been corrected back to 8 of 8. The fact that there are 9 states controlled is not an anomaly. The ACT has two zones attached to it. The main ACT zone and the Unincorp. Other Territories Zone. i.e. There are two zones which belong to the ACT. One clan controls the main ACT body which is 1 zone. Another clan controls the Unincorp. Other Territories Zone which is 1 zone. As there are two clans who both effectively control the state in the they both have the same count of zones controlled, they are marked as joint controllers and they both get a state control point. i.e. The sum of the states is less than the sum of the controlling clans. So the ACT is in joint control.

This comes from a recent cache placement in the Cocos (Keeling) Islands. For a reason I can't understand the Cocos (Keeling) Islands are an Australian territory but actually have their own country code (CC). This makes that area somewhat strange, but as it's under the Unincorp. Other Territories Zone which are all territories, it gets lumped in with ACT for the game purposes.

I hope that makes sense. It took me a while to get my head around it.

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 08 June 15 4:04 pm

caughtatwork wrote:At the moment, only the Australian LGA zones are counted. So if you happen to find something outside Australia it ends up in an unknown zone.

The state count has been corrected back to 8 of 8. The fact that there are 9 states controlled is not an anomaly. The ACT has two zones attached to it. The main ACT zone and the Unincorp. Other Territories Zone. i.e. There are two zones which belong to the ACT. One clan controls the main ACT body which is 1 zone. Another clan controls the Unincorp. Other Territories Zone which is 1 zone. As there are two clans who both effectively control the state in the they both have the same count of zones controlled, they are marked as joint controllers and they both get a state control point. i.e. The sum of the states is less than the sum of the controlling clans. So the ACT is in joint control.

This comes from a recent cache placement in the Cocos (Keeling) Islands. For a reason I can't understand the Cocos (Keeling) Islands are an Australian territory but actually have their own country code (CC). This makes that area somewhat strange, but as it's under the Unincorp. Other Territories Zone which are all territories, it gets lumped in with ACT for the game purposes.

I hope that makes sense. It took me a while to get my head around it.

So who's on first? :lol:

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 08 June 15 7:03 pm

caughtatwork wrote: This comes from a recent cache placement in the Cocos (Keeling) Islands. For a reason I can't understand the Cocos (Keeling) Islands are an Australian territory but actually have their own country code (CC).
It took me a while to get my head around it.
Ah! glad it gave you a bit of fun :D Maybe I should get some extra dZ points for bringing this to your attention so you could tidy up the loose ends :phoenix

Richary

Post by Richary » 08 June 15 9:50 pm

caughtatwork wrote:For a reason I can't understand the Cocos (Keeling) Islands are an Australian territory but actually have their own country code (CC).
Well so does Norfolk Island .nf and the Heard & McDonald Islands .hm (though given you aren't allowed to land there and the location it is doubtful anyone will be placing a cache on those anytime soon).

Interestingly Norfolk Island is losing it's self governing status and will become a council area, with education/health etc provided by NSW under Federal funding, but police still run by the AFP. So I am not quite sure what state that would fit in - probably in the same boat as Cocos. Don't know where it fits now - both come up as separate countries on Groundspeak's search but in a legal sense that may not be so.

sharnie's tribe
9500 or more caches found
9500 or more caches found

Post by sharnie's tribe » 21 June 15 5:41 pm

Just checked our dragon points and we've lost about 1200 points plus about 300 in the winter game. Bit of a shock!! Have we done something wrong and the red dragon has fined us some points?? Looks like some other teams have lost points as well. We've lost all our daily half points except today and points for all the GCA caches we found between 21 February and 6 June.
Last edited by sharnie's tribe on 21 June 15 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2y'stassies
10000 or more caches found

Post by 2y'stassies » 21 June 15 6:18 pm

Like Sharnies tribe we have also lost DZ points. All our 0.5 daily points except for today and yesterday have disappeared from the other points list and well over 1000 winter games points have gone. When we last checked our DZ page points to next level said 199.75 now over 1000. Are there gremilins in the system or were we allocated points we were not entitled to?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 June 15 8:50 pm

Something has gone wrong. Very wrong. I have patched the code, but I will need to recover the data to reset things. I don't have access to the backup (we do have one I just can't get to it). I'll put in a call to CraigRat to help me out.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 June 15 11:52 pm

CraigRat, our ever faithful expert is restoring the data.

I'll check it out in the morning and put all the missing data back in and run an update across the game. Then, if you are still missing some points, let me know and we'll see if we can work out what else may have happened. I'm pretty sure it's only any daily points, any trophy points and any additional points you allocated to a cache. These should all be recoverable.

Your actual finds points and hide points should still be intact.

Please accept my very sincere apologies for this. It's a situation I was not expecting and still don't know how it happened.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 21 June 15 11:53 pm

We believe we have found the missing points, it may take 24 hours or so before we will be in a position to fix it 100%.

Please bear with us!

[EDIT] Thank goodness for backups of backups!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 June 15 9:49 am

As much data as we had in our backup has been restored. All cacher, cache and zone points have been recalculated.

You may or may not be missing a few points here or there. I'm sorry if this is the case, but we can only restore data from a backup and any data which goes missing after the last backup can't be recovered.

If you feel your are missing enough points to drive you crazy, let me know in this thread. I'll look into what may have been missed and see what we can do to compensate.

sharnie's tribe and 2y'stassies have both been awarded some bug busting points for identifying the issue before it grew completely out of control.

Again, I apologise for any inconvenience and hope you'll bear with us.

2y'stassies

Post by 2y'stassies » 22 June 15 8:52 pm

Thanks to the hard working fairies for quickly resolving the problem of the disappearing dragon points. You guys certainly have the magic touch. Just keep the red dragon far enough away so that points don't vaporise again. Thanks again.