dragonZone

A place to talk about the Geocaching Australia dragonZone and other games
tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Re: dragonZone

Post by tronador » 20 May 14 12:29 am

Zalgariath wrote:Having players who have no tactical thinking could be hilarious actually with accidental moves having weird outcomes or frustrating moments when your carefully placed plans are unwittingly undone! Hehe
That would be me.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 May 14 9:17 am

A lack of tactical thinking brought me undone over the weekend. A move and additional points allocated and I thought I controlled the cache and the zone. Some better thinking from a rival clan and they now control 50% of the caches in the zone which makes it a shared zone. Dang!

I'm quite enjoying the rivalry at the moment. There's a Cerberus cacher that I'm battling with moveables. He moves them to one side of town and claims a zone. I go find them and move them to the other side of town, undoing his work and securing some of my local zones. On occasion they move back. Dang, but fun to watch the two clans battle.

I'm the only Griffin within cooee of my location, so it's a lone battle out my way at the moment. Although people who aren't in the game are also causing havoc what with moving my controlling caches out of the zones I ever so carefully put them in to. Dang!

Lot's of dangs! this morning.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 20 May 14 10:27 am

caughtatwork wrote:A lack of tactical thinking brought me undone over the weekend. A move and additional points allocated and I thought I controlled the cache and the zone. Some better thinking from a rival clan and they now control 50% of the caches in the zone which makes it a shared zone. Dang!

I'm quite enjoying the rivalry at the moment. There's a Cerberus cacher that I'm battling with moveables. He moves them to one side of town and claims a zone. I go find them and move them to the other side of town, undoing his work and securing some of my local zones. On occasion they move back. Dang, but fun to watch the two clans battle.

I'm the only Griffin within cooee of my location, so it's a lone battle out my way at the moment. Although people who aren't in the game are also causing havoc what with moving my controlling caches out of the zones I ever so carefully put them in to. Dang!

Lot's of dangs! this morning.
Seven days quarantine required next time....?

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 20 May 14 6:25 pm

caughtatwork wrote:A lack of tactical thinking brought me undone over the weekend. A move and additional points allocated and I thought I controlled the cache and the zone. Some better thinking from a rival clan and they now control 50% of the caches in the zone which makes it a shared zone. Dang!
I'd been hoping that I could pull that trick :twisted: since I realized I had 7 days to add points but I kept on forgetting and adding the points too quickly or taking too long to move them. No need to bother anymore though, I don't suppose you'll fall for it again anytime soon.
caughtatwork wrote:I'm quite enjoying the rivalry at the moment. There's a Cerberus cacher that I'm battling with moveables. He moves them to one side of town and claims a zone. I go find them and move them to the other side of town, undoing his work and securing some of my local zones. On occasion they move back. Dang, but fun to watch the two clans battle.
I'm enjoying it too although it's a little disheartening to see the three zones I carefully took control of on Thursday afternoon change back on Saturday Morning. I've think I've got two of them back now but I've learnt my lesson about having too many zone controlling caches close together. I was a little surprised you didn't come grab the 8 caches I hid further down the freeway.

It seems the spoils go to the one with the most free time.
caughtatwork wrote:I'm the only Griffin within coo8 ee of my location, so it's a lone battle out my way at the moment. Although people who aren't in the game are also causing havoc what with moving my controlling caches out of the zones I ever so carefully put them in to. Dang!
You and I seem to be the only ones actively playing in Melbourne with a couple of others having a bit of a go now and then. That's why I'm putting in a bit of an effort at the moment as I know I can control zones pretty cheaply.

After my initial couple of forays out west being so quickly overturned, I'm trying to think of a better way to get some blue over that side of town than swapping moveables back and forth. Nothing springs to mind though.

At the very least this has given me the incentive to get out and find all those GA caches that have been on my to-do list.

Go Blue :cerberus

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 20 May 14 9:46 pm

geo_jas wrote:
I'd been hoping that I could pull that trick :twisted: since I realized I had 7 days to add points but I kept on forgetting and adding the points too quickly or taking too long to move them. No need to bother anymore though, I don't suppose you'll fall for it again anytime soon.

:cerberus
Next step is to cache in company with another team. You log and add an innocent number of points. Wait for sucker to take bait, move to new location and add an apparently controlling number of points. Your associate team then logs find, backdated a few days (found but not moved..), and trumps points added. :twisted:

geo_jas

Post by geo_jas » 20 May 14 10:25 pm

nutwood wrote:
geo_jas wrote:

Next step is to cache in company with another team. You log and add an innocent number of points. Wait for sucker to take bait, move to new location and add an apparently controlling number of points. Your associate team then logs find, backdated a few days (found but not moved..), and trumps points added. :twisted:
Of course that would require another clam member to be nearby (and that you don't mind logging movables as found but not moved)

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 21 May 14 1:18 am

Congrats to geo-jas being the first Dragon Zone 'Citizen' =D>

geo_jas

Post by geo_jas » 21 May 14 7:51 am

Zalgariath wrote:Congrats to geo-jas being the first Dragon Zone 'Citizen' =D>
Having the bonus weekend when I'd already planned to pick up the Pet Rock at Brimbank series was a huge boon.

Oh, and congrats to caughtatwork for the 10 years geobirthday. \:D/

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 May 14 10:28 am

Well done Citizen :-)

Thanks for finding the series at Brimbank Park. You seemed to find all bar one, which I highly suspect has gone missing now. That series is a great way for a cacher to build up some quick dZPoints in a confined park. Your double points bonus certainly made that zone very, very blue which makes my life sough in trying to wrestle control of that zone back to Griffin Gold.

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 21 May 14 12:13 pm

Any chance of having a bonus weekday(s) instead of weekends at some stage? ... most of my caching is done to and from work. Muggle family keeps me busy on weekends.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 May 14 12:56 pm

spatialriq wrote:Any chance of having a bonus weekday(s) instead of weekends at some stage? ... most of my caching is done to and from work. Muggle family keeps me busy on weekends.
At some stage, absolutely. What day do you prefer? Not that I'll guarantee anything, but if I do Monday or Friday and you still can't do it, then it would be pointless.

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 21 May 14 4:23 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
spatialriq wrote:Any chance of having a bonus weekday(s) instead of weekends at some stage? ... most of my caching is done to and from work. Muggle family keeps me busy on weekends.
At some stage, absolutely. What day do you prefer? Not that I'll guarantee anything, but if I do Monday or Friday and you still can't do it, then it would be pointless.
Well according to project-gc.com, 22% of my finds are on Thursdays, and 28% on Fridays ... so one of those days would be just dandy \:D/

geo_jas

Post by geo_jas » 21 May 14 8:28 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Well done Citizen :-)

Thanks for finding the series at Brimbank Park. You seemed to find all bar one, which I highly suspect has gone missing now. That series is a great way for a cacher to build up some quick dZPoints in a confined park. Your double points bonus certainly made that zone very, very blue which makes my life sough in trying to wrestle control of that zone back to Griffin Gold.
I've been looking at the series since it was released but never seemed to get a chance to head out that way with a few hours to spare. With the dragonzone game sparking my interest again, I'd already planned to go out on the weekend when I saw the bonus news. That meant that there was no way I was not going even though the weather was a bit less than ideal. At least there weren't too many muggles around.

I suspect the one that got away is probably still in the long grass but I gave it a pretty good look before I moved on. I'll have to come back for another look and for the pathtag swap cache as well.

It really was a lovely walk around the park and the caches were all pretty easy finds (except for the one of course). I would recommend it to anyone who's in the area with a free couple of hours.

I did the whole series in about 2.5 hours, walking 7km to find 25 of the 26 caches. Next time I've got a spare couple of hours there's a spot near the Yarra out east from me that looks like about a 5km round trip walk that would net one GA cache and one GC cache (assuming I can find both) so Brimbank Park was a huge bonus. Thanks again.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 23 May 14 8:28 pm

geo_jas wrote:
nutwood wrote:
geo_jas wrote:

Of course that would require another clam member to be nearby (and that you don't mind logging movables as found but not moved)
Of course there's requirements! It's actually a dastardly tactic that I doubt we'll ever resort to but it's interesting to explore the possibilities. Helps keep the opposition on their toes. :twisted:

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 23 May 14 8:30 pm

geo_jas wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Well done Citizen :-)

I've been looking at the series since it was released but never seemed to get a chance to head out that way with a few hours to spare. With the dragonzone game sparking my interest again, I'd already planned to go out on the weekend when I saw the bonus news. That meant that there was no way I was not going even though the weather was a bit less than ideal. At least there weren't too many muggles around.

I suspect the one that got away is probably still in the long grass but I gave it a pretty good look before I moved on. I'll have to come back for another look and for the pathtag swap cache as well.

It really was a lovely walk around the park and the caches were all pretty easy finds (except for the one of course). I would recommend it to anyone who's in the area with a free couple of hours.

I did the whole series in about 2.5 hours, walking 7km to find 25 of the 26 caches. Next time I've got a spare couple of hours there's a spot near the Yarra out east from me that looks like about a 5km round trip walk that would net one GA cache and one GC cache (assuming I can find both) so Brimbank Park was a huge bonus. Thanks again.
I was in Melbourne yesterday and was seriously tempted by this series. My lack of knowledge of Melbourne public transport prevented a foray. Pity, there were a couple of moveables that I'm sure would have enjoyed a Tasmanian holiday.
All turned out for the best though. I had huge fun on a share bike, both in the morning and the afternoon. Share bikes and geocaching make a great combination for someone who's only in town for the day. I can't believe I haven't discovered this before!