[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 121: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Geocaching Australia - View topic - governance of the website
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 April 17 4:49 am

governance of the website 

GCA Found: 13
GCA Hidden: 4

Last edited by Bronze on 02 July 06 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02 July 06 2:15 pm
2500 or more caches found

GCA Found: 234
GCA Hidden: 30
100 GCA Finds
I shall think on this some more before offering comment. I think the bronze has proposed a solid basis of a model, which can fit our circumstances well.

02 July 06 4:42 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

GCA Found: 1008
GCA Hidden: 219
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds

A few months later is there additional input?

07 September 06 8:38 am
Profile E-mail WWW

100 GCA Finds
I was giving this some thought on the long trip across the hay plain last week. Now I just have to remember what I came up with.

I still like Bronze's idea though.

07 September 06 9:15 am
Profile E-mail WWW

GCA Found: 26
GCA Hidden: 9
one key aspect will be to avoid the situation of opencaching.com where they had lots of what bronze calls "honchos" but nobody to actually do the work. this resulted in some fabulous policy-making but zero implementation.

in our view, the reason nobody wanted to help with the actual coding was that all the fun stuff had been done by other people: the dreaming about where it could go, how it would work, etc had been done, so the only thing do to now was the grunt work of coding it.

so in our view, the "IT gurus" need to be "honchos" as well, otherwise they will lose interest and nothing will get done.

07 September 06 9:38 am
Profile WWW
450 or more roots tripped over

GCA Found: 50
GCA Hidden: 3
I think what Bronze has proposed is fairly well thought out and could be a starting point to base a model on. However I think there needs to be a few modifications to make it work.

To me The Honcos are more like your Local MP in that they represent the General Populace. They are charged with working for them and working for the common good. They represent us and put forward proposals based on requests from the population. For example Mary requests a playground in her local park for the kids to play on. The Local MP takes the request, asks for public comment on the proposal (does anyone else want a playground), perhaps forms a commitee or a consultative group to look into the various aspects of the project (do we have the resourses to build one, would it be feasible or even safe) before giving it the thumbs up or down.

The IT Gurus are like a Technical Group that have the ability to implement the project (they know how to build playgrounds) but also provide feedback to the Local MP as to the feasability of the project (the park has too great a slope and the playground would be unsafe). To me there has to be a two way dialogue between the Local MP and the Technical Group.

As far the length of tenure for the Local MPs I think 3 years is too long. In a parlimentary system 3 years is a good time, but for something like GCA I feel it is too long. People come into the game with great bursts of enthusiasm but fizzle out and disappear just as quickly. To me a 1 year tenure would be good. It allows people to have a go and it helps keep the whole thing fresh with new blood coming along to keep it alive.

I think Bronze pretty much has it right with his concept of The Clerk. But it's obvious to me that all these people (whatever you want to call them) need to be active and enthusiastic, except for the General Populace who can be as active or apathetic as suits their purpose, just as in regular society.

Another thing that I think needs to happen is the production of a Charter or Mission Statement. This is a publically listed document that outlines what GCA is, what it stands for and what it hopes to achieve. It would hang off the front page of GCA so all can see it so visitors and indeed ourselves have a clear idea of who we are.

This is by no means the perfect sytem either, there is probably quite a few things I haven't throught of, but I am throwing these things out there now as it's better to face the problem square on, discuss it, come up with a solution and implement it rather than bury our heads in the sand and hope it goes away and then wake up to a rude shock one day and be left wondering "Wha Happened...?"

08 September 06 11:18 am
Profile E-mail WWW

GCA Found: 20
GCA Hidden: 0
If the site (or any organisation) is to be a success there needs to be:

A purpose for the site.

Reasonable certainty of it's future .

With GC.com the purpose is to fill the pocket of Jeremy and for that reason I can see a reasonable certainty of it's future.

A few meters away from my chair is the container for my first GCA cache. Given recent anouncments the certainty level has sliped a notch but isn't gone by any means.

To date I see that the benevalant dictator (thats a complement btw), i! has done great things for australian caching.

i! makes a good point about incentive for the IT gurus. It seems that the site as progressed the most when incentive was there. In this case not $ incentive but 'guidelines detestment' (is that a word) incentive.

This begs the question what is the incentive that IT gurus need? $ works in the comercial world. Enjoyment in acomplishment works for some. Defiance of the statisquo works for others. Recognition - what else?

If you want dicisivenes the less at the top the better and on the other extreem end of the scale if you want 100% concensis on everything nothing will ever get done.

I hope a balance can be found.

09 September 06 11:46 pm
Indentured Slave

GCA Found: 156
GCA Hidden: 44
100 GCA Finds
i! makes a good point about incentive for the IT gurus. It seems that the site as progressed the most when incentive was there. In this case not $ incentive but 'guidelines detestment' (is that a word) incentive.

This begs the question what is the incentive that IT gurus need? $ works in the comercial world. Enjoyment in acomplishment works for some. Defiance of the statisquo works for others. Recognition - what else?

Actually, theres literaly thousands of hours worth of new code awaiting publication on the main site as we speak.

The good thing we have in the IT team as of now is the fact that people are willing to code the non-sexy stuff as well as the sexy, shiny new stuff (some iof which will make you drool :lol:.

Speaking for myself, I'm doing it to give something back, I don't need any 'payment' (other than getting that axe above my avatar :lol:)
I see it as me paying back :D
It is done purley for the love of the sport and the spirit of open source coding.

The IT gurus only need $$ now for new hardware... this has to be organised.
All monies raised should go into apool to ensure the longevity of the site, not into the pockets of a few, that just makes us like the other commercial sites.

I think the L()()ned one has some good points about short terms etc etc, and some kind of statement or charter would be nice.

Theres also the issue of stuff like the publication of caches/logs and what license they will come under. Current thought is Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 (The wiki and the code for the site is published under this).

Lots to talk about, lots to sort out!

So, how do we nominate vote for Honchos etc??
Code:
CanOfWorms()=>open;

10 September 06 4:15 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ WWW

GCA Found:
GCA Hidden:
I'm only very new to geocaching, but have been around this type of forum for years now. Every forum I've seen go democratic goes down the tube in a hurry. People simply do not agree and even if the vote goes against them, they hold a grudge. I don't know any of you, but I say if you can find someone willing to take it on, hand it over lock stock and barrel and have it as an autocracy.

10 September 06 7:46 pm

GCA Found: 1008
GCA Hidden: 219
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Theres also the issue of stuff like the publication of caches/logs and what license they will come under. Current thought is Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 (The wiki and the code for the site is published under this).

This is already the licence. If you check the bottom of the cache listing page when you submit a new cache, you are already agreeing to this.

10 September 06 7:48 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

GCA Found: 51
GCA Hidden: 21
CraigRat wrote:

This is already the licence. If you check the bottom of the cache listing page when you submit a new cache, you are already agreeing to this.

You just don't have to put a tick in a box to say so every time you edit the page... :roll:

11 September 06 1:17 am

GCA Found: 13
GCA Hidden: 4

Keep it coming. :lol:

11 September 06 7:06 pm

100 GCA Finds
If the cutters can also be represented in the honchos, then there should be a given amount of cutters representing the cutters group, there should always be no more than half of the honchos group who are cutters.

My thoughts/

11 September 06 8:42 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

GCA Found: 26
GCA Hidden: 9

14 March 07 10:35 pm
Profile WWW

GCA Found: 20
GCA Hidden: 0
It may be the best idea if the domain owners choose who they will hand it over to then ask them. At the rate things are going nothing will happen if just left.

01 April 07 9:59 am