GCA listings of caches in areas where geocaching is banned

Geocaching Australia governance issues

Should GCA STOP listing new caches in banned zones?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 247

Damo.

Re: GCA listings of caches in areas where geocaching is banned

Post by Damo. » 12 March 10 12:09 am

homedg wrote:I think I get the point BUT;

We leave caches that are already in National Parks, but nobody goes and finds them?

Have I got it right? :-k
The topic of this thread is if GCA should allow future caches to be listed in areas where geocaching has specifically been banned.

Completely separately from this, Geocaching NSW inc has asked its members to not seek caches hidden in National Parks as the main reason the organisation formed is because National Parks rangers were already removing some caches from parks and the ban which had been in place for several years but not enforced had been brought to Groundspeaks notice.

I'd suggest that "we" are leaving caches in National Parks so that people who think dialogue with National Parks might one day allow caching to continue there can choose not to do them. Some people have voluntarily removed theirs.

homedg
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 12 March 10 12:49 am

I am NOT a member of Geocaching NSW inc.
And I have had a cache removed by a NPWS ranger after it was pointed out by a member of Geocaching NSW inc.

I abide by the GC.com rules, and really enjoy the alternative that GCA provides as well.

Not sure what you mean by your last comment

"I'd suggest that "we" are leaving caches in National Parks so that people who think dialogue with National Parks might one day allow caching to continue there can choose not to do them."

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 12 March 10 1:43 am

Should GCA stop cache listings in some areas to cover for some cachers' wanting judgement?

Should traffic authorities stop issuing drivers licences because people drive illegally?

Should shopkeepers stop selling stuff, because people litter the streets?

It seems that this subject is black or white. But grey all over. The immediate matter at hand seems fairly straight forward, but all the What if?s and Yeah but?s make it a toughy.
I still say NO it's not, or shouldn't, be up to GCA to change anything, in order to control the judgement of some cachers or to pacify some parties.

Lucy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Lucy » 12 March 10 9:03 am

homedg wrote:I have had a cache removed by a NPWS ranger after it was pointed out by a member of Geocaching NSW inc.
I think you have the wrong end of the stick here. I am totally unaware of anyone from Geocaching NSW pointing out anyone's caches for removal. I do know of one instance of NSW NPWS contacting Geocaching NSW asking about a cache they (a NSW NPWS Ranger) had found and wanted removed.

Geocaching NSW exists solely to promote our activity in a professional manner to "the powers that be" and to act as a point of contact between "them and us".

I would like to discuss your concerns with you directly rather than through the forum, please PM me or phone me - my number should be in my profile.

homedg

Post by homedg » 12 March 10 10:58 am

PM Sent

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 13 March 10 11:15 am

PesceVerde wrote:Should GCA stop cache listings in some areas to cover for some cachers' wanting judgement?

Should traffic authorities stop issuing drivers licences because people drive illegally?

Should shopkeepers stop selling stuff, because people litter the streets?

It seems that this subject is black or white. But grey all over. The immediate matter at hand seems fairly straight forward, but all the What if?s and Yeah but?s make it a toughy.
I still say NO it's not, or shouldn't, be up to GCA to change anything, in order to control the judgement of some cachers or to pacify some parties.
Well said PesceVerde - totally agree with you. The challenge is how to educate the wider caching community regarding good cache placement and discourage people from collecting a smiley even though the cache has been placed where it may cause damage.

Maybe there could be a "thumbs down" choice when recommending a cache to indicate the cache brings the activity into disrepute? :-k

geoskid
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by geoskid » 13 March 10 1:48 pm

I think GCA should not list a physical cache if GZ is known to be in an area where Geocaching is explicitly banned - and therefore illegal. Black and White.

What any of us think about Geocaching being banned in these areas, and any efforts to bring about changes to these bans are irrelevant to this thread.

GCA can't stop caches being hidden in banned areas, but it can refuse to list them, and therefore prevent cachers from obtaining the coords from this site and going and finding the cache. Cache hiders will soon stop placing caches in known banned areas if no-one is able to find them.

Grey areas - I dont see any if we are sticking to the thread.

geoskid
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by geoskid » 13 March 10 2:00 pm

caughtatwork wrote: If people support one side or the other I hope they make their voice heard even if their points have been made. If 100 people support the NO vote, but only one person says something, only the 1 person will be heard and the 99 others will never be heard. If 10 people support the YES vote and all 10 speak up, there are 10 people being heard for the YES position.
Simply either ticking the YES or NO box should be deemed as being heard.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 13 March 10 5:13 pm

It does get you heard.
With 200 votes and over 10,000 members, there is a lot of people who aren't fussed one way or the other and that will also be taken into account.

geoskid
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by geoskid » 13 March 10 7:23 pm

caughtatwork wrote: With 200 votes and over 10,000 members, there is a lot of people who aren't fussed one way or the other and that will also be taken into account.
How, exactly, will this be taken into account?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 13 March 10 7:48 pm

geoskid wrote:
caughtatwork wrote: With 200 votes and over 10,000 members, there is a lot of people who aren't fussed one way or the other and that will also be taken into account.
The usual method, a coin toss :wink:

geoskid
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by geoskid » 13 March 10 8:27 pm

CraigRat wrote:
geoskid wrote:
The usual method, a coin toss :wink:
:D As long as it is a legal and representative coin toss - thats all that matters.

adietzel

Post by adietzel » 15 March 10 7:48 pm

To author of this poll question
I dont thing GCA should be not be banned in banned zones because of people are very interested in geocaching and probely one day yes possiblty, but not today or in the next 24 years when people are going out finding caches all around the world.
from warjo in victoria

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 15 March 10 9:13 pm

Well I think that posed about 30 more questions and and about 5 new possible threads...

I'd like to take everyone back to the start, our original scope as described by C@W,
caughtatwork wrote:...we are seeking feedback from the community in respect of future (physical) cache listings which are in geocaching banned zones.

There is a poll attached to this topic with a simple yes or no response.

Yes would mean you are in favour of Geocaching Australia outright stopping the listing of caches in banned zones. This includes all of the area covered by NSW P&WS. i.e. If you attempt to list a cache that appears in a banned zone, Geocaching Australia will not permit the listing.

No would mean you are in favour of the community member who owns the cache listing making the decision as to whether to continue their listing after being warned that their cache is hidden in a banned zone.
The Senate is voting over the next 7 days on this topic. Please understand we will only be voting on this topic as described above.

If there are other things that the Senate should be looking at then please raise a new topic in The Geocaching Australia Senate Board. If there is enough interest then the Senate will take on that subject as well.

If you haven't had your say then now is your chance, remember GCA is here for you, throw your hat in the ring and have a say!

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 16 March 10 7:19 am

Text edited above for clarifcation.