Senate - Calls for nominations 2018 / 2019

Geocaching Australia governance issues
Geocaching Australia

Senate - Calls for nominations 2018 / 2019

Post by Geocaching Australia » 29 May 18 9:07 pm

It’s time to open up nominations for the role of senators for the 2018/2019 period.

Why do we have a Senate?
It allows the community to be involved in the decision making process, and provides a range of input in the guidance and direction of the website’s future. A Senator is expected to be engaged, involved in the discussions and come up with ideas to help the site grow and flourish.

How is the Senate structured?
There are a maximum of 12 senators who are elected for a 12 month term, plus the developers. The structure of the senate will be changing a little from previous years so please take the time to read through the information at http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Senators to understand these changes.

Am I the right stuff to be a Senator?
Sure! We welcome all Geocaching Australia members to nominate themselves. The position is not an onerous one but you should plan to devote a few hours each week to your active participation in the team and meeting our goals. We really need folks who are willing to step-up and get stuck in to help keep Geocaching Australia ticking along.

What happens if there are more nominations than positions?
Firstly we’ll all be doing a happy dance of joy at the fantastic support the website has been offered. Then, if there are more than 12 nominations, a vote will be taken with the senator who is "first past the post" succeeding in gaining the position.

I’m ready to nominate! What next?
Nominate yourself by posting in this forum thread. Along with your nomination, also include a few words about yourself, why you’d like to take on the role and how you think you could best contribute to the governance of Geocaching Australia. Current Senators are welcome to nominate again.

When does this have to be done by?
Nominations close on 16 June 2018 with an election period of one week (18/06/17-24/06/18 following close of nominations. Where no election is required (nominations are sufficient to fill the 12 positions), senators will be announced immediately.

Again, please take the time to read the updated Senators document as it has changed from previous years, especially the focus on the expectation of Senators to help achieve overall goals: http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Senators

Sol de Lune

Re: Senate - Calls for nominations 2018 / 2019

Post by Sol de Lune » 31 May 18 1:38 pm

Post removed....
Last edited by Sol de Lune on 11 June 18 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agent Basil
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Agent Basil » 01 June 18 9:50 am

Hey Sol, you just want the chance to be driven around in a COMCAR .......... :-"

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 02 June 18 11:28 am

I too, am happy for another spin in a Senate seat.

During my time working with the team (Senator since 2016) I've been involved with the promotion of the Summer Scavenger Series of 2016/2017 (remember Seeka?) and have helped with social media in the past. I've chipped away at a few wiki updates and additions but would like to add more content in the future. This year I hit my 100 trig milestone \:D/ but have fallen waaaay behind in my locationless logging :cry:.

Hoping to have another opportunity to continue working towards Geocaching Australia's goals.

PhilthyDecisions

Post by PhilthyDecisions » 02 June 18 6:06 pm

Hi All,

I would like to put my hand up for this.

My name is Jake, I'm 24, my wife and I have only been geocaching for about 3 years now with a little break over the last 9 months due to our little one. We have just started getting back into things and are having a go at our own Geocaches. I work as an IT Technician in Adelaide, SA, but my wife and I love to go for drives out of the city.

Geocaching is something I'm passionate about and would love to be more involved in and assisting its growth.

Thank You
PDecisions (Jake) :D

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 02 June 18 6:34 pm

PDecisions wrote:Hi All,

I would like to put my hand up for this.

My name is Jake, I'm 24, my wife and I have only been geocaching for about 3 years now with a little break over the last 9 months due to our little one. We have just started getting back into things and are having a go at our own Geocaches. I work as an IT Technician in Adelaide, SA, but my wife and I love to go for drives out of the city.

Geocaching is something I'm passionate about and would love to be more involved in and assisting its growth.

Thank You
PDecisions (Jake) :D
Hi PDecisions,

Thanks for the post. Can I ask what your geocaching name is? I see you joined our site 3 days ago and to date haven't found or hidden any caches, so I was wondering if you use another name at all.

If you have been caching for 3 years I'm guessing it's with another site where you maybe registered under a different name.

Any help in clarifying this is appreciated.

Cheers,
Admin Team

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 02 June 18 6:54 pm

I'm too am certainly happy to be a senator again.

I've been a member of Geocaching Australia since April, 2005 and have been a senator since 2016. The GCA cache, Blair Witch, was my very first geocache a few months before doing one from the other listing site. dragonZone and the games associated with it along with the various geocache types that are only found on GCA has meant that most of the caching I now do is through GCA. Apart from being a senator I have also volunteered to do some other roles on the site over the past year.

Like Sol de Lune I have enjoyed the opportunity to add to the overall running of our unique Australian site and participating in the various discussions and making decisions on how we do things on Geocaching Australia and hope for another chance to continue in that role.

PhilthyDecisions

Post by PhilthyDecisions » 03 June 18 1:03 am

Hi Admin,

Apologies, previously we were using the Geocaching app on android and iphone. Myself under PhilthyDecisions

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 04 June 18 4:39 pm

I'm happy to go again unless someone else wants to have a go. I acknowledge that I haven't been the most active one on the team but I try to help where I can.

For those that didn't already know, I live in SA and have been caching for about 9 years. And have been a GCA senator for 2 (or 3?) years now.

stainless-steel-rat

Post by stainless-steel-rat » 05 June 18 8:43 pm

I am also happy to fill the role of Senator again if chosen, this year was my first as a Senator and I have been helping out where I can, I like to think I have put a bit back into the site and the opportunity to do this again would be a pleasure.

I have been a cachers for 8 years and started caching with GCA 5 years ago when I moved to Tasmania, I have found over 3000 caches and hidden almost 80 caches, goal this year is to find over 1000 GCA caches and over 100 Trigs.

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 06 June 18 6:04 am

I know that the senate is now not based on states but as there are not many GCA cachers in Queensland I would be happy to keep my position on the senate.

I am not all that vocal on the forum but do keep an interest in what is going on. A have been caching since 2004 and a member of GCA since then. Currently i am not active in hiding caches as my lifestyle does not permit me to actively maintain too many cache.

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 13 June 18 10:35 pm

Just a friendly reminder that nominations for the 2018 / 2019 Senate will officially close at midnight this coming Saturday, 16th June.

If you'd like to come on board and help guide the Geocaching Australia website into the future, now's the time to put your hand up.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 13 June 18 10:53 pm

The J's would like to nominate themselves again for a third year in a Senate seat.
While we are not active amongst the local geocaching community, we are long time supporters of Geocaching Australia.
We will strive to see as many of the Geocaching Australia goals realised as possible.

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 15 June 18 1:34 am

I'm happy to stick my hand up again for a second year. I've been waiting for someone else from Victoria to throw their hat in the ring but it hasn't happened and time is running out. It's important the Victoria is represented on the Senate.
Whilst I may not have a lot of time to give, I do check the forum posts every day and have input where I think it's of benefit. Additionally, I've taken on a couple of "back-office" roles and just plod away with those as needed.

If there is anyone else from Victoria who thinks they can contribute to the Senate I encourage them to nominate, but don't wait until it's too late [-X

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 18 June 18 7:23 am

Nominations for the 2018 / 2019 Geocaching Australia Senate are now closed.

The 8 Senators who nominated are:

ziggiau
PDecisions
Chwiliwr
Laighside Legends
stainless-steel-rat
crew 153
J_&_J
WazzaAndWenches

As there is less than 13 nominations, there will be no need for a vote. Our newest Senator will be contacted shortly, and will be granted access to the hidden Senate forum where the direction of Geocaching Australia may be discussed.

Many thanks to those who nominated, and we look forward to working together for the prosperity of Geocaching Australia.