Interview Email ?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
smegheads
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by smegheads » 26 April 04 4:15 pm

Im having trouble accessing my website details so if anyone can help out please give me your email and Ill forward the PDF onto you and you can post it somewhere for all to see..

Cheers,
Rob.

PS you can also send me an ICQ so I may see it quicker!
If Im not napping that is.. was a long day at work and I'm Buggered :shock:

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 26 April 04 5:23 pm

smegheads wrote:Im having trouble accessing my website details so if anyone can help out please give me your email and Ill forward the PDF onto you and you can post it somewhere for all to see..

Cheers,
Rob.

PS you can also send me an ICQ so I may see it quicker!
If Im not napping that is.. was a long day at work and I'm Buggered :shock:
pm sent.

Bronze

Interview Article

Post by Bronze » 26 April 04 6:11 pm

Originally posted Article here but took forever to remove all (most) of the page breaks.

The Bronze.
Last edited by Bronze on 26 April 04 6:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 26 April 04 6:42 pm

Recieved this in the E-mail a moment ago. Was about to delete it with the hoardes of complaints. :wink:
By David Killick
MELBOURNE, April 14 AAP - Through the bush, up the hill, off the Track and there's the prize! A lunchbox filled with trinkets hidden in a hollow log.
For participants in the sport of geocaching, the whole world is a Playing field in a massive treasure hunt.
It's a high-tech global craze with hundreds of participants across Australia and 2,610 caches hidden from Townsville to Albany.
Geocaching is a niche sport made possible by the power of the Internet and by handheld Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers which can pinpoint a user's position to within a few metres anywhere on earth.
The rewards seem trivial: a cache might contain a logbook and pen, a couple of toys to swap or a "travel bug" to take on to another destination, but the attraction lies in visiting new places and unravelling the challenge set by those who placed the cache, participants say.
There's somewhere upward of 500 active geocachers nationwide from a surprisingly wide cross-section of age groups and backgrounds.
They rejoice under team names like Geomonkeys, Team Piggy, Dingbats,Snifter and swampgecko as they seek and hide caches with names like Hunt for the Jumping Cat, Milo by the Yarra and Spadoni's Stash.
The sport has a vibrant subculture, with its own code of conduct and an emerging jargon: outsiders, non-geocachers, are known as "muggles", the term used for people without magical powers in the Harry Potter series.
Retired electronics engineer David McCarthy started geocaching with his wife Mary two years ago and the couple has found a staggering 1,022 caches in three states since.
Their three adult children have also taken up the sport.
"The attraction for us is getting out of the house and seeing interesting places and wonderful views that we would otherwise not know about, let alone see for ourselves," Mr McCarthy said.
"We've visited caches from North Queensland all the way down the east Coast and as far west as the Eyre Peninsula in SA.
"We do a lot more walking now than we used to, and have found ourselves at places ranging from deserted beaches and mountain tops to busy city-centre caches.
"Most of our friends are a bit bemused at our enthusiasm for an activity that involves the internet, driving to remote places and often long walks."
Geocaching is heaven for technophiles. Cachers can download co-ordinates to their laptop or palmtop computer, upload them to their GPS, log their victories on their website, chat in online chat rooms and message forums or read about the sport's development in email newsletters.
Steve Williams, 30, of Emerald, Queensland said he was attracted to geocaching 12 months ago as a way to combine his interests in technology and the outdoors.
"I have been led to the most amazing places that are just flat on a map and I would never have given a second thought afterward," he said.
"They are truly gems that I will remember forever."
Mr Williams says the sport was not for everybody.
"It's like swimming, biking, team sports karate or following the election - really, it's whatever floats your boat.
"For me it's hiding little boxes in the bush and finding others with friends in beautiful locations."
Sydney electronics designer David Jones caches under the name of EcoDave and with his partner Nicole forms the geocaching EcoTeam.
"Many people are lucky to visit one unusual and different place a year, geocachers can visit 10 in a day," he said.
"It's great to go into work the next day and tell everyone about the unusual places you visited on the weekend," he said.
Many geocachers are conflicted over the sport's increasing popularity.
While welcoming new participants, they worry the growth threatens geocaching's fringe culture.
"We want a lot of new cachers to come into the sport, and we actively promote it, but we are afraid that if it becomes too mainstream the sport may change for the worse."
With two dogs as helpers, I decide to give it a try.
Our first cache, not far from home, is called Llamas in Pyjamas and according to the geocaching website has been found by 10 cachers since it was hidden by The Eltham Mob in September last year.
After checking the approximate location in the street directory, we race off in the car to the bush reserve where the cache is likely to be.
It takes us 10 minutes to home in on the spot we're looking for: S 37 37.704 E 145 15.394.
In a hollow log we find our prize and we're muggles no more. We log our visit - an odd sense of triumph our only reward.
As far as odd hobbies go, geocaching is positively mainstream compared to the Degree Confluence Project - a bid by GPS users to visit every possible junction of latitude and longitude of earth - 13,147 at last count.
Wherever meridians meet parallels, there they shall be - a few Smiling folk holding a digital camera and a GPS whose last few digits are zeroes.
It's like geocaching without the caches although the project's Website explains it as an "organised sampling of the earth".
US soldiers in Iraq have knocked off two confluences in helicopters lately and there's been folk hard at work in Antarctica and the Falkland Islands.
The latest to fall was 22S 50W, near the village of Rosalia in Brazil.
It's in a paddock. Who'd have thought it?
In Australia, 273 visits to confluences have been logged to date, Mainly around the coast and there's 464 left to bag.
Local representatives of the Global Confluence Project didn't respond to interview requests.
More information on Geocaching can be found at www.geocaching.com And www.geocaching.com.au.
The homepage for the Degree Confluence project can be found at www.http://www.confluence.org/.

AAP dk/gfr/drp/bwl
26/04/04

Who is that Mr. Williams? Sound's like a wise and informed cacher.

The Bronze.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 26 April 04 7:35 pm

I suppose that's one way Bronze.<p>
This is a bit better in my opinion...

The article is <a href=http://riblit.geocaching.com.au/news/ar ... df>Here</a> as a pdf file.<br> less clutter in the forum and the picture is there.<p>

There are a few more words in yours than in the pdf of the published page.<br>

Looks like the mexicans are not interested in Mr Wlliams..

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 26 April 04 9:55 pm

I for one would like to say Thanks to David Killick.

We all had our initial concerns about this interview and article.
But it has been very well written and is certainly of a benefit to the sport.

Thanks David..

Devar
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
Twitter: Devar

Post by Devar » 26 April 04 10:05 pm

Indeed an very interesting and informative article. Thankyou. :)

GeoJo
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by GeoJo » 26 April 04 10:16 pm

AARRRGGHHH!!

Curse of the spelling mistakes strikes again...
with a team name of "Maccamob" and an interview via e-mail, you'd think the journalist would be able to spell "MacCarthy"!!! :evil:

Oh well... at least it's a good article! :wink:

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 28 April 04 10:30 am

I dropped in on my Mum and Dad in Canberra on Monday and explained that I had been geocaching. "Oh - we read about that." They pulled out Monday's Canberra Times and showed me the article (as above).

I thought it was a great article. It certainly explained to them what it was all about.

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 28 April 04 2:30 pm

David Killick wrote: With two dogs as helpers, I decide to give it a try.
Our first cache, not far from home, is called Llamas in Pyjamas and according to the geocaching website has been found by 10 cachers since it was hidden by The Eltham Mob in September last year.
Any chance of a PDF of Bronze's posted article? As I use some these caches during JOTI, some news clippings would be pretty cool 8)

cheers Darren :)