Anybody seen this caching "incident" yet?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Jedda

Anybody seen this caching "incident" yet?

Post by Jedda » 24 March 04 11:03 pm

Ive heard of cachers finding drug plantations, springing couples in the bushes but never this The big "J" What other weird stuff have cachers discovered on their travels?

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 25 March 04 9:22 am

This is something that Hounddog and I have often talked about. We are surprised that it hasn't happened here. So many of our "in the bush" caches are in inhospitable areas and also some of the urban ones would be good dumping grounds as well. I just hope that if it does happen that I am not the finder.

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 25 March 04 9:57 am

Maybe ‘The Big J’ will become Geospeak for ‘archived due to unforseen events’. I can see the logs like:
“ The local council has decided to build a geriatric meeting hall right on my GZ so for now this cache has gone ‘The Big J’. “

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 25 March 04 9:16 pm

I'll refrain from the obvious jokes...

We accidently placed one of our caches smack in the middle of a gay nudist pickup joint!
A few caches found more than they bargained for! :oops:

Oh, and we named the cache "Seeds of Life"!! - Entirely co-incidental I can assure you!

EcoDave :)

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 25 March 04 11:03 pm

It's for this reason I won't do Forest of Fear. It gives me the creaps just thinking about a cache in that location.

GEK
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GEK » 25 March 04 11:07 pm

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 26 March 04 9:50 am

So Spindoc if we had called our cache "a walk in the forrest" or "in amongst the pines" and made no mention about the crimes in the area then you would have a go. If one takes that direction then one wouldn't go out side their home. Think of all the car accidents that have happened along Lake George over the years.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 26 March 04 10:03 am

No, the name is fine, just that that particular forest gives me the creeps. Everytime I drive past it on the way to Sydney I remember what happened. It's not that I'm afraid of death (I spent a night in a Mexican cemetary during Los dias de Muertes), but there is something about this sort of place.

A tiny part of me is worried that I'll find something the police missed earlier. Horses for courses.

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 26 March 04 11:23 am

I placed the cache in the Belangalo Forest in reply to a request for some spooky caches. Perhaps it was being a little irreverent but hey it's all in good fun. Don't kid yourself that I wasn't a bit spooked while placing it though. The whole area gave me the creeps.

I read the statements by the "body finders" and got a good idea of where the victims were located. Placing the cache near this hotspot assured me of one thing. There would be no way that anyone would find any surprises. The police would have turned the area upside down and inside out. In fact this is a hint as to what I was refering to when I ask what is very odd about the area in the vicinity of cache.

What would have made it far more creepy would be to place it in some other area of the forest or a neaby forest that was never searched. I reckon these are where the "surprises" are yet to be found.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 26 March 04 11:36 am

I have been to Belangalo a few years ago before I was into caching and both me and the ex thought the place felt a bit weird. I wonder if not knowing the history the feeling would still have been there? i.e. is there genuinely a bad vibe about the place or just because we know the history that we perceive it?

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 26 March 04 11:38 am

I placed the cache in the Belangalo Forest in reply to a request for some spooky caches.
As it happens, I am quite keen to get out of town on the weekends, and Forest of Fear is just about the right distance away for a nice geocaching outing (esp if we want to meet up with family from Canberra to share their new-found pass-time of geocaching). My other half is not so keen though - she thinks it is creepy. I'll have to sneak out and do it at night I suppose...

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 26 March 04 2:46 pm

There is a rest area just as you turn off for the Belangalo forrest. Have dinner there and venture forth.

We have had a couple of weird things happen around us while caching. When we placed Bovine Patella(the original) at the turning circle and gate head, we found the intestines of a ??????????. We knew that it hadn't been there long as there was no smell and no flies. We looked around for anything else and about 10 meters away we found the carcas of a kangaroo. Now you tell me, why would you gut an animal(it was in perfect order) and then take the rest away and dump that as well??? We still think of it everytime we are in the area. Yuk. :shock:

Navagatrix
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Navagatrix » 26 March 04 8:29 pm

I found Knife, near Garmin Central (which we didn't find) no blood on the knife, but it was attcahed with wire to a 8 foot long wooden pole. T :roll: he police were pleased that we handed it in as it could be 'of interest'to their investigation of a gand of lads whose initiation process involed slashing car tyres... I know I watch to much CSI, but I made sure I picked it up with a piece of paper so I wouln't leave prints!!

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 27 March 04 12:07 pm

I stumbled across something kinda unpleasant last week up in QLD...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 11fe44fb75

No dead bodies, but I couldn't help but wonder what people got up to in the area.