Computer illiterate......

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pyrenees kid
Site Admin

Computer illiterate......

Post by pyrenees kid » 16 April 03 8:58 pm

I was just wondering the other day, I was speaking to a friend about Geocaching, well really I was explaining it and he seemed genuinely interested. Keen as mustard, and ready to go straight out and buy a Gps until he asked................... "How do you find out where the caches are"?
"Well" I said, "from the internet".
I wonder just how many Geocachers we would have if it were not only internet based. Can you imagine how many people have a Gps and would love to go geocaching but they are completely computer illiterate......
Sad really, such a great past time and possibly so many denied..........

Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Biggles Bear » 16 April 03 10:24 pm

It's a bit hard to understand that someone might be technological enough to understand how to use a GPS but not technoligical enough to use the internet :shock:

Damian007

Computer Illiterate

Post by Damian007 » 16 April 03 11:07 pm

Surely, if someone wanted to go Geocaching but did not have internet access, They would have to know someone that did have Internet access.
They could then get a Print out of the area they were interested in..

What about Internet Cafe's?

"There's always another way to skin a cat"

Regards,
Damian007.
Democracy is our taxes hard at work..

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 17 April 03 3:01 am

About 18 months ago I wrote to several of the Bushwalking and outdoor activity magazines offering a story on Geocaching. Most of the editors were just not interested and wrote back telling me that the story was not on subject with their magazine. So I then wrote to several Electronics Mags with almost the same result. The only exception was Silicon Chip Magazine and we all know the result of that fiasco. The point I'm making is that Geocaching is a strangely misfit hobby/sport and for that reason is has taken a long time to catch on. It seems to be a just fascination for most who hear about it.

Hounddog

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 17 April 03 9:49 am

Hounddog wrote:About 18 months ago I wrote to several of the Bushwalking and outdoor activity magazines offering a story on Geocaching. Most of the editors were just not interested and wrote back telling me that the story was not on subject with their magazine. So I then wrote to several Electronics Mags with almost the same result. The only exception was Silicon Chip Magazine and we all know the result of that fiasco. The point I'm making is that Geocaching is a strangely misfit hobby/sport and for that reason is has taken a long time to catch on. It seems to be a just fascination for most who hear about it.

Hounddog
So what your trying to say Hounddog is that we must be all fruit loops for being sucked into this sport that we love.