Geo-Quiz II

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bronze

Geo-Quiz II

Post by Bronze » 16 February 04 8:19 am

GeoQuiz by The Bronze.

Instructions for competition below.

Q1. What was the names of the three British businessmen to AustraliaÂ’s commercial First Fleet that fell through?

Q1 for Riblit. :roll: Name the three British Buisnessmen that proposed a commercial venture that would have become Australia's First Fleet had in not fallen through.

Q2. How many Earth days is one Day on the Sun.

Q3. The Earth’s Axis rotates on a 23.5º arc. How many years does it take for this to revolve a full 360º?

Q4. What proportion of AustraliaÂ’s Population live in Sydney.

Q5. Who am I? I was World Heritage listed in 1981. My stark and desolate beauty holds keys to AustraliaÂ’s ancient past. My sands contain fossils of Tasmanian Tigers, Kangaroos, Echidnas, Bats and range of giant Marsupials. I cover around 600,000ha and also hold the keys to AustraliaÂ’s human past. Popular with film makers my boundaries were revised later in 1995. I am?

Q6. This city harbor area is up for redevelopment. Which City is it in?

Q7. What am I called and who owns me?
I was launched from French Guiana on an Ariane 5G rocket and have become the 4th in the fleet the first now aging 12 years service. When launched I was at nearly full capacity and will be positioned in orbit at 156 degrees east longitude. I have 24 Ku band transponders that will provide coverage for Australia, New Zealand and East Asia.
I will have a 15 year life span and will be controlled by Sydney earth station.

Q8. Which State has this animal as its Fauna Emblem.

Q9. Who am I?
I was born in Victoria, on the 20th of December 1894. My father was a politician. I went to public schools before he went to Methodist Wesley College, Melbourne. After, I went to Melbourne University where I studied Law then graduated 1915 and became a barrister in 1918. In my first term of two years from 1939-1941, I was part of the United Australia party. At that time, World War II was on and I battled the water front workers that refused to send iron to Japan and they said they would get them back as bullets. In my second term, Australia was at war again, this time it was in Vietnam. My second term went from 1949-1966 for a total of seventeen years and a total ministerial career of twenty years. I died in 1978 at the age of 84.

Q10. What am I?
I was made of hollow wood from a hollow tree. People used me for making spears go faster and as a knife, chisel, graver, digging stick and for cutting cooked fish. It was also used for looking for grubs. I am mostly used by young men when hunting. I am used by clicking me onto the spear. Then throw the spear. A spear launched by me will go faster than it usually does.

Please Do Not Post your Answers.

Email Your Answers to:
thebronzemailbox@yahoo.com

I will call for anymore submissions and if no replies will mark and post results.
Last edited by Bronze on 16 February 04 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 16 February 04 9:24 am

TheBronze wrote:
What was the names of the three British businessmen to AustraliaÂ’s commercial First Fleet that fell through?
How about rephrasing this in English (or even Australian).

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 16 February 04 8:41 pm

Gee I am glad that I don't go to school and do science. There again we didn't have computers when I went to school. :?

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 17 February 04 3:37 pm

Have already recieved a couple of submissions.

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 28 February 04 4:20 pm

Are the results ready yet?

Bronze

The Answers

Post by Bronze » 06 March 04 10:01 am

The Answers:

A1. Turnbull, Macaulay and Gregory (TMG). When it became known in London that government was considering sending convicts to New South Wales, or, New Holland, three commercial men were standing in the wings, ready to act quickly. They made an offer of shipping for a "first fleet" - but have largely been written out of history.
On 21 August, only three days after cabinet's decision of 18 August, 1786, a still little-known London firm, Turnbull, Macaulay and Gregory (TMG), offered enough shipping for such a project. Their quick response-time is one thing. Where and how they obtained their information, which was correct, is another thing. Their offer was rejected and the matter, quite properly, was put out to tender.

A2. Total Rotation Period at Equator on Sun is equal to 25.38 Earth Days.

A3. It takes about 25 780 years for the poles to complete the circle. Because the pull of the Moon's gravity is on the equatorial bulge of the Earth, the Earth's axis of rotation shifts in such a way that the North Celestial Pole (and South Celestial Pole, too) marks out a circle in the sky; a circle with a radius of 23.5° of arc. It takes about 25 780 years for the poles to complete the circle. This This means that every year, because of this shift in direction of the Earth's axis, the Sun's position at vernal equinox is displaced westward just a little bit and hence the time of arrival it would otherwise have. This phenomenon is therefore called the 'procession of the equinoxes.'

A4. Millions love it The 4 million residents who live in Sydney and its surrounding suburbs make up nearly 1/5 of AustraliaÂ’s entire population.

A5. The site: Willandra Lakes
Where is it? Southwest New South Wales, 987km west of Sydney
When was it listed? 1981, boundaries revisited 1995

Why is it World Heritage? Apart from its stark, silent and largely desolate beauty, the region is a unique study of human evolution on the Australian continent. Skeletal remains – including the recently discovered Mungo Man – indicate that there was human occupation in the region as far back as 40,000 years. Archaeological findings include an amazing 26,000-year-old cremation site and 18,000-year-old tools. Well-preserved fossils of giant marsupials such as Tasmanian tigers, kangaroos, echidnas and bats have also been found here. The region covers around 600,000 hectares of ‘real’ Australian outback: semi-arid sand dunes, dry lakes, mallee and grass scrubland, and the scenic Mungo National Park, with its beautiful Walls of China formation.

Things to do: The region is visually stunning, making it popular with filmmakers and photographers. Visit the striking Walls of China formation in the Mungo National Park, or book in with the professionals for an interpretation of the countryside – Harry Nanya Tours www.harrynanya.com.au run accredited, Aboriginal owned tours of this unique region.

A6. Darwin
http://www.otd.nt.gov.au/dcm/otd/major_ ... _r4_c1.jpg

A7. I am the the C1 satellite launched Thursday, 12 June 2003 is jointly funded by Optus and the Australian Department of Defence, and is the largest hybrid communications and military satellite ever launched. http://www.lowdown.com.au/sat_optusC.html

A8. Western Australia.

A9. ROBERT GORDON MENZIES
Robert Gordon Menzies was born in Victoria, on the 20th of December 1894.
His father was a politician. He went to public schools before he went to Methodist Wesley College, Melbourne. After, he went to Melbourne University where he studied Law then graduated 1915 and became a barrister in 1918.
In his first term of two years from 1939-1941, he was part of the United Australia party. At that time, World War II was on and he battled the water front workers that refused to send iron to Japan and they said they would get them back as bullets.
In his second term, Australia was at war again, this time it was in Vietnam. His second term went from 1949-1966 for a total of seventeen years and a total prime ministerial career of twenty years.
Menzies died in 1978 at the age of 84.

Q10. A Woomera - A notched stick which provides leverage for the acceleration of a spear.

The Bronze.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 06 March 04 10:25 am

The Winner is:

Ozguff

...is the Winner with only two wrong. Questions 3 and 4. Well done mate.

Sniftler deserves a special mention with a very close second having no answer for question 1 and with questions 3 and 7 being incorrect.

Thanks you to all who participated. The next Geo-quiz will be up soon.

The Bronze.
Complaints about the quality and quantity of the prises offered for this quiz can be directed to thebronzemailbox@yahoo.com

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 06 March 04 5:37 pm

Thanks Bronze, I said I would be happy with 7/10 and that's what I got. Not bad for an old chick.

OzGuff
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

I would like to thank the Academy...

Post by OzGuff » 20 March 04 2:18 am

As an ex-pat Aussie living in the States I wasn't sure I should even enter, but am glad I was able to find a few correct answers. The Sydney population question raised my ire a little, as the definition of "Sydney" is open to debate, but I guess I will let this slide.

Now about that "praise" I was supposed to receive..... :P

Bronze

Praise

Post by Bronze » 20 March 04 9:12 am

:lol: Well done! :lol:

The Bronze.

OzGuff
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Re: Praise

Post by OzGuff » 20 March 04 1:49 pm

Bronze wrote::lol: Well done! :lol:

The Bronze.
I can't quite make out the text between the two faces.....Does it say something? (I just turned 40 so the eyes aren't what they used to be!)

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 20 March 04 7:08 pm

And what makes the eyesight bad.... :shock: :shock:

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: Praise

Post by Team Stargazer » 21 March 04 2:12 pm

OzGuff wrote:
Bronze wrote::lol: Well done! :lol:

The Bronze.
I can't quite make out the text between the two faces.....Does it say something? (I just turned 40 so the eyes aren't what they used to be!)
If you get a magnifying glass out on it you can just make out what it says ... but then I'm still only 35! :wink:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 23 March 04 5:51 pm

I might up the praise for GeoIII I reckon - whadya think, anotha colour perhaps?

The Bronze.