Helpful Hints for Newcomers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Metcatan22

Re: Helpful Hints for Newcomers

Post by Metcatan22 » 04 May 17 6:50 pm

Today I had a DNF, but came back and noticed on the top bar that a status was "Planned" by another user. I use a GPS and not my phone so didn't have those deets out in the field. The obvious answer is that they had found it, but perhaps not logged. My question is, what is the etiquette if someone has a "planned" status? Can you still search or do they have right of way and if so, what it the timing on a "planned". No biggie and I'll definitely check next time, but I'd hate to steal someone's find! :)

(I hope I'm not repeating this, but I went through about 10 pages and also searched and couldn't find an answer. :)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 04 May 17 7:14 pm

what is the etiquette if someone has a "planned" status?
No etiquette, it just means it's on someones to-do list.

Metcatan22

Post by Metcatan22 » 04 May 17 10:51 pm

CraigRat wrote:
what is the etiquette if someone has a "planned" status?
No etiquette, it just means it's on someones to-do list.

Cool, thanks for the reply!! But what if it's a moveable (as was in this case)? Does it just mean they'll get it on the next move if you get there first?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 05 May 17 1:23 pm

Metcatan22 wrote:Cool, thanks for the reply!! But what if it's a moveable (as was in this case)? Does it just mean they'll get it on the next move if you get there first?
First in, first served!

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 07 May 17 6:03 am

CraigRat wrote:
Metcatan22 wrote:Cool, thanks for the reply!! But what if it's a moveable (as was in this case)? Does it just mean they'll get it on the next move if you get there first?
First in, first served!
He is still there too. We had to use the hint which helped us realise GZ only put you in the vicinity (in both area AND height - there's an extra hint so you don't have to go through the entire area 3 times like us). We left him there as I had no room in my luggage.

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 08 March 23 10:30 am

My helpful hint to newcomers..

Be patient. Just start playing.

I was recently describing geocaching to a curious muggle who saw me looking up into a tree while I was holding my tree-fishing gear. He asked what I was looking at while staring upwards himself. I then described geocaching, the usual conversation happened and the two site options explained. His response, ‘why?’. You know what followed.. views, historical locations, mountains, hidden gems etc. I mentioned stats and numbers because lots of people are into that. I told him many caches are only good for that reason but that’s okay. Different geocaches for different people. His eyes lit up a little during this conversation. I could see him contemplating the possibilities :)

I then proceeded to explain the different cache types. This was the point he looked disappointed. I chatted with him some more and he said it sounds like a great idea but too complicated. This is where the “be patient, just start playing” entered the conversation.

I remember when I first started. I couldn’t figure out how to progress with multi caches. Mystery caches were just a mystery. A letterbox what?

I didn’t find the cache I was looking for :roll:
I’ll return for another go before I log a DNF..