Helpful Hints for Newcomers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: PLEASE READ!!

Post by CraigRat » 13 May 12 1:21 pm

bazkaz wrote:i'm trying to find someone who can tell me what to do next. someone help me out
If it's not on your property or somewhere illegal then you simply leave it where you found it.

anne1985

Re: Helpful Hints for Newcomers

Post by anne1985 » 02 September 12 7:54 pm

So I and a few friends tried finding our first caches today after having heard about this treasure hunting caper earlier in the week.
We must have been doing something wrong as of the four we searched for after finding each of the locations using the GA Cacher apps on our phones and using the compass on the app we still came up empty handed. Were we just not looking hard enough or the caches had been removed? The last logs for each one was from last year to earlier this year.
Even ones with seemingly obvious hints like 'under square bench' when there were only two to check under there was nothing to be found :? ](*,)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 September 12 9:28 pm

Which ones?
That might help work out if they're archived or missing or something else.

anne1985

Post by anne1985 » 04 September 12 6:19 pm

The two main ones we were trying for were GA2071 and GA3961

pjmpjm
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
Twitter: Booroobin

DNF for Leap Frog

Post by pjmpjm » 05 September 12 12:38 pm

anne1985 wrote:The two main ones we were trying for were GA2071 and GA3961
GA3961 is a Leap Frog -- moveable -- so might well have been picked up by someone else and not yet logged.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 September 12 9:04 pm

anne1985 wrote:The two main ones we were trying for were GA2071 and GA3961
I've found GA2071. It wasn't too tricky when I found it, but that doesn't mean too much. Check under the entire boardwalk. Sometimes caches move a metre of two from where they were hidden. Look on all of the wooden braces. It might not be on the ground. Although it may be missing. Have another go and log your DNF (Did Not Find) to help others who may come after you.

GA3961 is magnetic. So if it's not under the square bench / seat it could also be missing. Log your DNF to let the cache owner know it may be MIA.

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 05 September 12 11:57 pm

I placed GA3961. It was under the seat closest the road but if you looked under both and didn't see a frog :frog , then it's missing. :(

anne1985

Post by anne1985 » 06 September 12 12:10 am

I'll have to go have another look now!!! :) thanks guys

geo_jas

Post by geo_jas » 06 September 12 8:37 am

A couple of other good caches to try (not too far away) would be GA2035, which was last logged only a few weeks ago and GA2033 which was last logged in March but I've been past with the kids a month or two ago and we found it again. Good luck.

The Silver Snitch
1000 or more caches found

Re:

Post by The Silver Snitch » 25 September 12 12:51 am

ToolkiT wrote:
Hounddog wrote:Take your wife/girlfriend and /or kids.
They are very useful for finding things that are low down and they also have a little more patience. :lol:
you obviously have never cached with my wife ;)
After 10 minutes searching she gets frustrated and walks off...:D
Haaa haa YOU obviously never cached with MY husband........same same

The Silver Snitch

Post by The Silver Snitch » 25 September 12 1:03 am

I'd just add three things to all that wonderful advice.
1. Always let someone know where you are going....well at least roughly. If you are going to be out in the scrub alone or walking near cliffs...tell someone. You never know!
2. If you are heading off into the scrub or there are several caches that you are going to get walking, (one after the other). As you get out of the car MARK the car on your GPS. (I once took off for a cache in the scrub alone around mid afternoon and it was way, way further than I thought. I certainly didn't come back the same way, it was dark and gee I was glad I had marked where my car was!!!
3. Just because you can't find it, doesn't mean it has been muggled. They aren't all little boxes, some of the disguises make the cache itself a stand out. (Possibly put a watch on it and see if someone else finds it.)

Ben and Benji

Post by Ben and Benji » 31 March 13 8:51 am

Here's a handy hint for the geocaches is too far away from home location problem.
You just tell theUmp that you have friends who live up there and are willing to look after it or
Tell him that you make the trip to that place very often.
I have had to use these when hiding 2 caches in the simpson desert in August last year, one off which is yet to be found... :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 March 13 10:12 am

Ben and Benji wrote:Here's a handy hint for the geocaches is too far away from home location problem.
You just tell theUmp that you have friends who live up there and are willing to look after it or
I have had to use these when hiding 2 caches in the simpson desert in August last year, one off which is yet to be found... :D
theUMP is a member here and reads this forum. You may have just let the proverbial cat out of the bag.

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 31 March 13 10:50 am

Ben and Benji wrote:Here's a handy hint for the geocaches is too far away from home location problem.
Yes, you can lie to the reviewer and, by implication, lie about agreeing that your cache meets the guidelines.

Does that make you feel good about yourself?

Oh, well, at least it means that there's a couple of boxes next to trees in the middle of nowhere, so that makes it OK.

Delta Response Team

Post by Delta Response Team » 04 May 13 3:33 pm

theUMP wrote:
Yes, you can lie to the reviewer and, by implication, lie about agreeing that your cache meets the guidelines.

Does that make you feel good about yourself?

Oh, well, at least it means that there's a couple of boxes next to trees in the middle of nowhere, so that makes it OK.

My Hints/Advice are:

1) Before you hide a cache try finding a few.
2) Only Put out a cache if you are willing to look after it
3) Put some extra effort into your caches - Yes you could just throw out 20 Eclipse Mint tins for next to no money... Or you could put out an ammo can. I know what I would prefer
4) Always take some spare pens/log books with you - If you get to a cache with no pen, Leave one.
5) ALWAYS put the cache back exactly where you found it. Cache Owners chose the spot for a reason and don't take kindly to people moving their containers

Also Ben and Benji

Please tell me what the point of lying to a Reviewer is?

You have put 2 caches out that as soon as something there is the slightest problem with they are screwed. That's not a good cache.