Caching tools

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Owls

Caching tools

Post by The Owls » 01 May 06 9:15 am

On some caching sites on the logs some members mention caching special tools such as #486, 36 and 323. I have searched to find a list of cache tools but no success. Can someone please advise if there is a complete list of special tools or are they items that people have learnt that can be useful when caching.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 01 May 06 9:24 am

off the top of my head, the only tools would be:

the (very) occassional screwdriver
but usually, long sticks.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 01 May 06 9:31 am

A stick to hit snakes with (Joking);
torch;
duct tape;
a bribe to get the smaller member to crawl into a godforsaken hole to retrieve the cache;
screwdriver as stated;
gloves;
steel gauntlets when caching southern tas, (see here);
Just off the top of my head

bigmickb
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Re: Caching tools

Post by bigmickb » 01 May 06 11:28 am

The Owls wrote:On some caching sites on the logs some members mention caching special tools such as #486, 36 and 323. I have searched to find a list of cache tools but no success. Can someone please advise if there is a complete list of special tools or are they items that people have learnt that can be useful when caching.
I wouldn't loose too much sleep over this one. Unless a tool is mentioned specifically, those numbers are probably just someone's attempt at humour. If a screwdriver/other random tool is required, that should be made quite clear in the cache notes.

Team Dogs Breath

Post by Team Dogs Breath » 01 May 06 11:34 am

The Owls wrote:On some caching sites on the logs some members mention caching special tools such as #486, 36 and 323. I have searched to find a list of cache tools but no success. Can someone please advise if there is a complete list of special tools or are they items that people have learnt that can be useful when caching.
Those tool numbers mentioned are my uncle's(swampgecko) way of saying that he used a tool to find the cache but he is not saying what he used. For the ex/current RAAFies here those numbers may be familar, 486 and 36 were two squadrons Uncle Steve was in for sometime.

He commonly uses torches, an automotive inspection mirror, screw drivers, and a walking stick(if he remembers to take it with him). A compass, a GPS and a paper map he also finds handy, along with me (to send me into the spiderwebs) to take along oocassionaly on his cache hunting trips

bigmickb
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by bigmickb » 01 May 06 11:39 am

Team Dogs Breath wrote:For the ex/current RAAFies here those numbers may be familar, 486 and 36 were two squadrons Uncle Steve was in for sometime.
So what about the last number? Swampgecko doesn't drive a small Mazda does he?! :twisted:

teamkittens
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by teamkittens » 01 May 06 11:49 am

I second a small mirror of some kind, they can often be quite useful.

Team Dogs Breath

Post by Team Dogs Breath » 01 May 06 11:55 am

bigmickb wrote:
Team Dogs Breath wrote:For the ex/current RAAFies here those numbers may be familar, 486 and 36 were two squadrons Uncle Steve was in for sometime.
So what about the last number? Swampgecko doesn't drive a small Mazda does he?! :twisted:
No. 323 Air Base Wing at Townsville, he spent 7 years there.

The Owls

Caching tools

Post by The Owls » 01 May 06 2:58 pm

Thank you for all of the replies. I thought the numbers were code for specific tools. I have a lot to learn about this sport.

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 01 May 06 5:07 pm

The Owls wrote:Thank you for all of the replies. I thought the numbers were code for specific tools. I have a lot to learn about this sport.
no, just about Swampgecko. :lol:

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 01 May 06 8:25 pm

Team Dogs Breath wrote:
Those tool numbers mentioned are my uncle's(swampgecko) way of saying that he used a tool to find the cache but he is not saying what he used. For the ex/current RAAFies here those numbers may be familar, 486 and 36 were two squadrons Uncle Steve was in for sometime.

He commonly uses torches, an automotive inspection mirror, screw drivers, and a walking stick(if he remembers to take it with him). A compass, a GPS and a paper map he also finds handy, along with me (to send me into the spiderwebs) to take along oocassionaly on his cache hunting trips
You are correct my young friend, and why aren't/weren't you in school today? Hmmmm nephew?????
bigmickb wrote:So what about the last number? Swampgecko doesn't drive a small Mazda does he?!
And what is wrong with that??? Actually my first car was a Mazda 323...... nice little car, took it heaps of places I shouldn't have, did lots of things in it that I shouldn't have, with people who I shouldn't have been with... :wink:

Mix wrote:no, just about Swampgecko.
At least it aint Bronze.....

Geof

Post by Geof » 02 May 06 1:52 pm

Many moons ago I saw a post about people using UV torches at night to find plastic.

I'v never used one wile caching but -e^ip had a fluro tube torch with what I suspect was an eprom eraser tube in it & it was amaizing what showed up at night :shock: .

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 02 May 06 3:29 pm

Geof wrote:Many moons ago I saw a post about people using UV torches at night to find plastic.

I'v never used one wile caching but -e^ip had a fluro tube torch with what I suspect was an eprom eraser tube in it & it was amaizing what showed up at night :shock: .
sounds a bit like one of zytheran's caches if you use a UV torch :D :D :D

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by The Coffee's » 02 May 06 11:56 pm

Geof wrote:Many moons ago I saw a post about people using UV torches at night to find plastic.

<p>
Eprom Eraser Tube? sounds like Darth Vaders light sabre :shock: . Please Explain :shock: :?: :?:

Geof

Post by Geof » 03 May 06 4:52 pm

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote:

<p>
Eprom Eraser Tube? sounds like Darth Vaders light sabre :shock: . Please Explain :shock: :?: :?:
Basicly a UV fluro tube for erasing eproms. I think it came from Jaycar so pesky should be able to help.

This is an eprom

Read all about them....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPROM