Magnetic micro-cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Magnetic micro-cache

Post by Ebenezer » 16 July 03 1:35 pm

Does anyone have any hardware suggestions for a magnetically attached micro-cache?
<p>My current thinking is to make something like a certain nameless cache by The Rats that utilised magnets in some indescribable way, but I'm wondering if there might be something suitable that is ready made.
<p>I have considered one of those little magnetic key holders (ones for actually putting a key in, rather than the <a href="http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Decoy_20 ... >exploding decoy kind</a>), but I think they might be too small, although I guess it would have about the same amount of room as a film-container micro-cache.
<p>Also, any suggestions for where to get a writing implement small enough to fit in a micro-cache? Or should I just tell people to bring their own?
Last edited by Ebenezer on 17 July 03 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 July 03 2:01 pm

I've used the keyholder to good effect, and it's big enough for a very small logbook and pencil.

The pencils found in TABs and such are good, as they're quite small, or a Parker pen refill makes a small but good quality writing stick.

If you do glue magnets onto a container, make sure they're fairly strong ones. Jaycar sells a nice kit of quite powerful magnets that are worth a look.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 16 July 03 3:17 pm

I might take a look at Jaycar tomorrow, and keep the key-holder idea as a backup plan.

maccamob
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 16 July 03 4:02 pm

Yes, Keyholders are OK. If you have access to an unrepairable hard disk, they are a good source of very strong but compact magnets too.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 16 July 03 6:25 pm

I've used and come across good use of magnets on quite a few caches (I can think of at least 5). Echoing what the others say, get good strong ones (although a packet of simple doughnut magnets from lincraft do the trick), and use weather resistant adhesive (i've fallen for that trap, super glue is only super if it stays dry).

May I suggest that you remove the specific cache reference in your post? It's a bit of a spoiler for the unsuspecting finders to be.

As for writing implements, a sawn off pencil or pen cartridge without the barrel) can do the trick.

Magnetic keyholders are good, but won't fit a pen/pencil easily.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 16 July 03 6:27 pm

Moved this topic to general chit-chat. Hardware/software is intended for GPSr/computer/tech related.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 16 July 03 10:22 pm

Ermm... bit of a give-away on [The Rats' cache] !!!

[ Mind Socket edited out cache name, hope you don't mind :) ]

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 17 July 03 9:55 am

Not the kind of detail about [our cache] that I wanted splashed across the forum, but hey thats caching. The cache is more for the views than the thrill of the chase...... Yeh right, who am I kidding.

Just on the magnets, I found when putting the cache together that not all magnets are double sided. Which at times cab be very frustrating as I didnt intend to glue them on. So I guess good glue is paramount.

[ Mind Socket edited out cache name, hope you don't mind :) ]

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Glueing Magnets to Caches

Post by The Ginger Loon » 17 July 03 10:03 am

A very thorough discussion on glueing magnets to caches can be found <a href="http://ubbx.groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=t ... 4#40760824"> here </a>.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 17 July 03 10:19 am

The Rats wrote:Not the kind of detail about [name removed] that I wanted splashed across the forum, but hey thats caching.
Sorry - I didn't mean to spoil. I wasn't thinking.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

magnetic micro cache

Post by Team Pathfinder » 17 July 03 10:50 am

If you are looking for a cheap source of high powered magnets take a look in the Op shop for some old speakers. When glued inside the lid a peanut butter jar the do a great job.

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 17 July 03 1:49 pm

Ikea is the best spot for free mini pencils!

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 17 July 03 2:12 pm

I can see a rash of magnetically attached caches coming on.<br>
Now I can justify to she-who-thinks-all-my-good-stuff-is-junk my collection of old hard drives.
:)

maccamob

Post by maccamob » 19 July 03 10:45 pm

You also need to consider what you are trying to glue the magnets to. A lot of the plastic containers that are suitable for caches are made of polypropylene (look for a "5" in the recycling triangle symbol, usually on the bottom of the container), which is very difficult to glue. Most contact cements, araldite etc explicitly exclude polypropylene from their list of suitable materials for glueing. Locktite do make a glue and primer for polypropylene, but it is a bit pricey. Instead, you could try indirect methods - eg glue the magnet to a metal base and rivet that to your container.