'Useless Hints'

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
geofreak
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

'Useless Hints'

Post by geofreak » 13 June 03 10:47 am

I came across this thread
http://ubbx.groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=t ... 8076052151
on the groundspeak forums and got a few laughs. Does anyone have any 'Useless Hints' or 'comical anecdotes' from downunder to add.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Re: 'Useless Hints'

Post by swampgecko » 13 June 03 1:04 pm

geofreak wrote:I came across this thread ... on the groundspeak forums and got a few laughs. Does anyone have any 'Useless Hints' or 'comical anecdotes' from downunder to add.
Yep I have just added my clues... I didn't realise how shocking a problem it was.. or how upset some people get, and I will be redoing my clues to suite from now on...Just looking at every cache I have out. I don't think any of my clues actually help... Oh yes one actually does.. the hint for http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... x?ID=50329 actually helps out....
<P>
Will try to do better in the future.. I promise

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 13 June 03 3:01 pm

Hints are a strange beast. It seems that the lack of guidelines (shock horror, gasp, did he say not enough guidelines?) on hints means that all hints are always decrypted by some (myself included). As a finder, I regularly decrypt=y on cache urls because half the time, they're useless anyway, and if they're useful, they're not total spoilers. Besides, my bad memory means I usually don't remember what I previously read on screen when I'm out and about. :)

As a hider, I can't see the point in saying "it's under a rock" when the cache is in a rock field, but I'll quite happily lead people astray on a puzzle cache with a deliberately useless hint, if I think that it won't spoil the experience. End result these days is that I don't post any hints or I make them hard to decrypt so the playing field is more level.

Cheers,
- Rog
... Of course we're all mad ... any sane person knows that you're _supposed_ to put food in plastic containers ...

Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 13 June 03 3:27 pm

I download gc.com pages to my PDA but don't unencrypt them until I need to.. with a program called "Hint Decoder"