Using a Psion 5 for geocaching?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Using a Psion 5 for geocaching?

Post by EcoTeam » 12 June 03 8:22 pm

I know that a lot of people use their Palmpilots and other PDA's for geocaching, but I was just wondering if anyone has used a Psion palmtop?
I just remembered I have a Psion5 sitting around doing nothing!

Any pointers appreciated

EcoDave :)

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 12 June 03 10:41 pm

Thanks Pesky!

I've been searching around and there seems to be a little bit of stuff available, but no compelling geocaching app.
What would be *really* nice, is to be able to download all the caching sheets and store them on the Psion. Others do this easily on the Palm, but I can't seen to find an app for the Psion. A viewer that supports .GPX files (downloadable for Premium members) perhaps?
Anyone know anything about this?

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 12 June 03 10:50 pm

I think I may have it.
- Get premium memebrship to download GPX files
- Use GXPSpinner to generate HTML files
- Download HTML files to Psion
- Use a web browser on the Psion to view the HTML files

Sounds easy, but I don't have a GPX file to try it out with. Would someone be so kind as to let me have a sample GPX file so I can try it out with please?

I am assuming that GPXSpinner generates a different HTML file for every cache, similar to the actual GC.com cache page? Does anyone have any experience with GPXSpinner and can confirm this is how it actually works?

Thanks

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 12 June 03 11:45 pm

Hi EcoDave
This may be of no use for you what so ever as I know nothing at all about Psion, but I use this very well with my palm.
The App that I use is Geo clipping what you do is start explorer at the cache page you want then start geoclipping and select the option to send the output to notepad.
then if you can copy the notepad cache page somehow into your Psion memo or what ever you have that may work :?
if not this message will self destruct in 15 sec
Andrew

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 13 June 03 12:45 am

EcoTeam wrote:Sounds easy, but I don't have a GPX file to try it out with. Would someone be so kind as to let me have a sample GPX file so I can try it out with please?
You have mail.
EcoTeam wrote:I am assuming that GPXSpinner generates a different HTML file for every cache, similar to the actual GC.com cache page? Does anyone have any experience with GPXSpinner and can confirm this is how it actually works?
It creates an html file for each cache, as well as some index files. You can set several points to have a "closest to" index from, and each cache has the five closest caches hyperlinked.

Neat program.