Caches placed while on holiday a no-no?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 05 June 03 2:45 pm

I am wondering if this new rule means that we should retire all of the caches that we planted whilst we lived in Perth?
Also, how far away will they consider a "holiday" cache. Now that we have return to live in the remote north we think nothing of doing a 300 klms round trip to go to a waterhole for the day and often go up to the next town to shop (round trip 600klms). In the cities this kind of distance is usually only covered during holidays, up here it is a regular occurence.

There has to be some consideration given to those of us that live in remote areas who want to be/stay involved in geocaching - allowing "out of towners" to leave caches here allows us to to stay active. We are more than happy to ensure that any cache left remains maintained. Maybe "geocaching.com" needs to become more aware of the plight of the cachers who dont live in heavily populated areas. :?

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 05 June 03 2:53 pm

Just so you know I approve all the caches for australia and will definetly take into account remote aussies and there requirements. Feel free to contact me in anyway with regard to anything to do with cache approvals.

Team Pathfinder

Post by Team Pathfinder » 05 June 03 5:19 pm

Thanks Embi

wyoming_wombats

Post by wyoming_wombats » 07 June 03 8:10 am

embi,

The Wombats are soon to embark on a Great Northern Trek to far North Qld. Any objections to placing log only micro caches in various cities, towns or other locations that happen along?

The caches would be bring your own pen or pencil and as such would look after themselves. If they went missing, that would be bad luck as far as I'm concerned but after having a look through what has been placed north of Bundaberg there is not much now.

This is just a thought and would be something to break the journey north. It would also provide a little something for the (few??) locals that cache.

Lyn Pat and Nathan
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Lyn Pat and Nathan » 18 June 03 7:55 pm

I seem to remember that one fo the first caches ever placed was in India by one of the developers of the geocaching idea. Did he get it wrong too ? We will continue to place caches while on holiday as we have always done. The trick is to make double sure that the location you chose will not be found by someone that isnt a geocacher. That means hide them well. If you meet a local that you feel you can trust and they have e-mail then let them know where it is so they can maitain it. Failing this e-mail a few of the people that visted your cache and ask them if they will adopt it. and Finaly...check to make sure you arnt placing one near another earlier cache. The US presently has about 20000 caches so that means the likelyhood of placing one in the same area is very good, so maybe choose a place that is more out of the way. Also be aware that because of terroism if you start placing caches in bridges or other large structure items you may cause more harm that good. You can get into trouble in some counties just for taking photos of bridges so what would happen if you were placing a parcel in one ?
Maybe the cache placing people could be rated by the visitors and if you are a 3 star cacher (out of a score of 5) you understand the system enough to know the best ways of avioding accidental cache findings...so you could be worthy to place while on vacation.
There must be enough freedom for the system to develop but not enough for it to become infamous.
Even National parks are fair if you make the location accessable from a path and tell the people that will be seqarching for the cache that it can be found without leaving the track. Sensible aproaches would be better that a bun fight. Lyn Pat and Nathan

bmac
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by bmac » 26 June 03 8:09 pm

I see this cahe was placed by a non-local. Don't know whether you would call it a holiday though.

I think it's good that it still was approved.

Thanks embi.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 26 June 03 10:09 pm

bmac wrote:I see this cahe was placed by a non-local. Don't know whether you would call it a holiday though.

I think it's good that it still was approved.

Thanks embi.
Definately not a holiday, biased as I am, being in a similar line of work as the cachesetters that put down the aforementioned cache. Now all I have to do is to convince work that it would be a good idea to send me back to my favourite place in QLD, for work of course :wink: so I can get add this one to my tally. I have been meaning to ask Embi about setting caches via work. looks like a precendence has been set :D

embi

Post by embi » 27 June 03 12:57 am

This one was approved due to the nature of the visit and the people who placed it. <p>I approve cache by cache. <p> If I feel that a cache is ok I will approve it. Remember I am here to assist in all caches being approved. <p> I am available any time via email, phone, sms etc etc. Feel free to contact me about any cache.