Published another NZ trig

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found

Published another NZ trig

Post by Goldenwattle » 27 October 17 7:09 am

It's hard to know what could be considered a trig in NZ. Having a top doesn't necessary make it a trig. I've seen lowly rated ones with vanes, or beacons as they are called, and higher rated ones as just a flat metal survey mark. Yes, saying survey mark, as I've yet to actually see a mark with trig written in NZ.
So yesterday I was tossing up whether to publish a rather obvious concrete pillar up on a pile of boulders. It's not a high rated survey mark in the NZ list. Then suddenly a car with surveyor marked on it, pulled up, a surveyor jumped out rushed up to the mark/trig and used it. Of all the trigs I have photographed this is the first time I have actually seen one being used. Rather exciting :)
That made my mind up. Concrete pillar, being used, easy parking and a view. It's published.
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp7700
There are photographs, including of it being used.

What do others think? Is this a good enough reason, or should only marks high up in the ratings be published, even though they might not have a top (and be boring looking). I also have another concrete pillar I am considering, so opinions please.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Published another NZ trig

Post by CraigRat » 27 October 17 7:18 am

If it looks like a trig, walks like a trig, and quacks like a trig, then it's a trig.

I can't see any issue.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 27 October 17 8:30 pm

CraigRat wrote:If it looks like a trig, walks like a trig, and quacks like a trig, then it's a trig.

I can't see any issue.
With that in mind I have published several more NZ trigs :)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 27 October 17 8:54 pm

One nice thing about NZ is that they believe government information should in general be free or at least provided at cost. So the NZ Topo maps are freely downloadable at both 1:250000 and 1:50000 resolutions in a georeferenced TIF format at

https://www.linz.govt.nz/land/maps/linz ... ap-chooser

With a little bit of tweaking of settings these can be made to work in Oziexplorer. It ends up some big downloads if you want for example the whole of the North Island at 140MB per map, but I have unlimited data download so it doesn't matter. It also meant I could plan on a day's caching even if I didn't have internet access for maps (though last visit I did just purchase a local SIM with data plan and used the phone as a hotspot when I didn't have wifi).

The 1:50000 generally shows the trig points, in a 4 character format such as A7DX which I listed in New Plymouth last year. You will also find this code stamped on a plate at the base of the trig. I used the code as the start of the name for the trigs I listed then with something hopefully meaningful as a name for the area.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 28 October 17 8:11 am

I have used this: http://apps.linz.govt.nz/gdb/?mode=gmap

Although the occasional (obvious) trig does not appear on it.

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 28 October 17 7:48 pm

I published a CORS today (the first in NZ?). It had the top rating for a trig on the NZ trig site, and it's the first of that rating I have found. It's right beside a very nice (lower rated) trig, so a visit gets two for the effort of one. Plus a view and a cafe :)
Mt John Observatory MT_JOHN_GPS 50204M001...TP7705

I have also published these NZ trigs on this trip: TP7675, TP7685, TP7688, TP7698, TP7700, TP7701, TP7702, TP7703, TP7704

30/10/17: TP7708