Phones & GPS

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Re: Phones & GPS

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 03 October 17 1:25 pm

Like a few here, I started out with the paper printouts and no GPSr. It didn't take long to get tied of that so I bought a Garmin eTrex, yet I still insisted on using printouts and finding GZ by following the coord numbers as they increased and decreased! Crazy I know...

Then I bought a Garmin Dakota 20 and went paperless and started following the arrow, now that was the way to go. Why I even started downloading Pocket Queries into the GPSr, that sure beat loading them one at a time.

Then I got a work supplied iPhone, and the beauty of that is you don't need to download caches at all, they are all there at the press of a few on screen buttons. I often use the GPSr and the iPhone side by side and they don't vary much at all for accuracy, and the best part of the iPhone is that it can show all past logs, not just the last six or so like my GPSr. Plus I use the Groundspeak app to guide me to caches in the car using Bluetooth and the iPhone talking maps.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 03 October 17 7:21 pm

We still use a dedicated Garmin GPSr for our caching, but we both have GA Cacher installed on our phones "just in case".

We started off with a basic first gen yellow Etrex, then upgraded to a GPS60. We've now used a GPSmap 62s for more than six years, and makes our older models look brand new.

I hope to buy a new GPSr soon, and it will probably be a GPSmap 64.

Teirae
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Teirae » 15 December 17 9:38 am

I still have my garmin, but haven't used it in years. I use my phone now, purely on the spontaneity of it, i can just open the app and search the area and go (rather than previously having to plan and map out an adventure, I am not good at planning). and the phone makes it so much easier with the geokids too, who are now starting to direct and steer our geocaching adventures.

Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Goldenwattle » 16 December 17 6:38 pm

I use a Garmin etrex 30. It's the only GPS I've owned. I have attempted a few times to use my phone by loading caches onto it, but it's not as easy as the GPS, so have stuck to the Garmin. Besides, phones don't work on much of the Stuart Hwy (and like places).
I found my first 180 caches with print outs; then I bought the Garmin.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 12 May 18 12:23 am

I have a Garmin 650 and a Samsung S8.
I generally use the Oregon for planned caching excursions but if my life depended on the accuracy of the location, I'd use the phone.