New phones to have 30cm GPS accuracy in 2018

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

New phones to have 30cm GPS accuracy in 2018

Post by Yurt » 26 September 17 12:34 pm

I thought accuracy was a function of the signal sent by the satellites? Is that being changed? This article doesn't say much. But there's a link within it that may say more, haven't read it yet.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/09/25 ... issed-turn

(edit - links with URL text still don't work?)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: New phones to have 30cm GPS accuracy in 2018

Post by CraigRat » 26 September 17 12:44 pm

The reciever is where the magic happens.

The more channels it can recieve = the more data it can use to work out the position more qaccuratley.

The newer chips will be using the US Based GPS system AND The European Galileo and/or the Russion GLONASS which are more modern and more accurate.
Using a combination of all these apears to produce pretty good results.

The US system is getting very long in the tooth, considering it is based off 1970's technology (albeit enhanced over time).

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 26 September 17 1:11 pm

The IEEE spectrum linked in your article describes it best:

> A newer generation broadcasts a more complex signal called L5 at a different frequency in addition to the legacy L1 signal.

Edwin

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 26 September 17 5:28 pm

Thanks for the info.

How will it be when phones have better accuracy than a dedicated GPS? I imagine that newer, better, faster GPS models will come out though. Still 30 cm accuracy would take out a lot of the fun of the game. That's not to say that accuracy will actually be achievable in a lot of situations though.

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 26 September 17 6:34 pm

Yurt wrote:Still 30 cm accuracy would take out a lot of the fun of the game.
You have three million containers hidden with the older accuracy, I'm pretty sure they will last you a lifetime.

Edwin

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 26 September 17 7:20 pm

Also the coordinate system used isn't accurate to 30cm - .001 degree of latitude is about 1.5 meters.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 29 September 17 3:46 pm

Richary wrote:Also the coordinate system used isn't accurate to 30cm - .001 degree of latitude is about 1.5 meters.
So let's go to four decimal places!! :-"

Richary

Post by Richary » 30 September 17 12:20 am

You should see what happens if I drag a marker on our work coverage checker tool to see if we have line of sight to a base rather than just putting in an address. It puts so many decimal places after the degrees it is down to micrometer level. Maybe I should use that for my cache hides!

bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 30 June 18 4:05 pm

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 12 July 18 10:58 am

Yurt wrote: How will it be when phones have better accuracy than a dedicated GPS?
I'm not sure but I think we're there already.
If I'm having trouble finding a cache I pull out my phone (Samsung GS8) and I reckon it's better than my Oregon 750 as far as accuracy is concerned.
It's only battery life and fragility that are inferior to the 750.
In most other respects, the phone seems better.

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 12 July 18 1:03 pm

gmj3191 wrote:
Yurt wrote: How will it be when phones have better accuracy than a dedicated GPS?
In the consumer environment: The only thing left is battery life. For the rest phones do everything better.

Edwin

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 12 July 18 3:34 pm

MavEtJu wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:
In the consumer environment: The only thing left is battery life. For the rest phones do everything better.

Edwin
Or a signal. I've seen caches where the CO advises there is no mobile signal. Looked up my Choice magazine & if you have a strong signal & at least 1 gig of data a month then the phone is the way to go. If not then your handheld (in Choice's case an in car navigator) is best. So one of each depending on where you travel.

bshwckr
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 12 July 18 4:24 pm

Some years back Garmin put out a "Nuviphone". It was an android smart phone but with Garmin GPS software included. The GPS was said to be the same as in a normal Garmin GPS. I had one and found it good except the CPU etc was low spec so everything was too slow. It was just a smartphone with the same battery and screen issues that all smartphones have.
If Garmin decided to bring out a new device that was smartphone based, robust/waterproof and extended battery life that incorporated the new GPS chipset, I would probably have another look at it.

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 12 July 18 5:20 pm

Tuena wrote:
MavEtJu wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:

Edwin
Or a signal. I've seen caches where the CO advises there is no mobile signal. Looked up my Choice magazine & if you have a strong signal & at least 1 gig of data a month then the phone is the way to go. If not then your handheld (in Choice's case an in car navigator) is best. So one of each depending on where you travel.
Being able to do geocaching depending on the availability of a mobile phone signal is not a limitation of the device, it's a limitation of the app you are using on it. I've driven through the high mountainous rural areas in Tasmania with no mobile phone reception. I was still being able to get the caches because they were loaded on my mobile phone. I was still being able to get to the caches because the maps were loaded on my mobile phone.

Don't let yourself be limited by the absence of features with the app you use.

Edwin

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 12 July 18 10:31 pm

MavEtJu wrote:
Tuena wrote:
MavEtJu wrote:
gmj3191 wrote:

Edwin
Being able to do geocaching depending on the availability of a mobile phone signal is not a limitation of the device, it's a limitation of the app you are using on it. I've driven through the high mountainous rural areas in Tasmania with no mobile phone reception. I was still being able to get the caches because they were loaded on my mobile phone. I was still being able to get to the caches because the maps were loaded on my mobile phone.

Don't let yourself be limited by the absence of features with the app you use.

Edwin
Have the GCA & GC apps but seldom actually use them. Your comments indicate I'd have to load caches & maps onto my mobile if they were in remote areas so will have to investigate how to do that. I broke my wonderful Magellan 710 & have lost interest in caching as a result. It did everything without fuss. I will look at using the apps on my mobile as navigators with the new H/H to guide me to GZ but will have to change my 20th century phone plan. Thanks.