Archived moveables

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
nutwood

Archived moveables

Post by nutwood » 19 August 17 8:09 pm

I'm wondering if there's any way to conduct searches that include archived moveables?
In recent times there seems to have been a tendency to quite ruthlessly archive moveables. One DNF seems to be a death sentence for a moveable, regardless of an owner's wish for it to remain active. I've found quite a few moveables where the previous log has been a DNF and I can't help but think that many of the culled moveables are probably still there. Perhaps the co-ordinates were a bit out, perhaps the hider gave no hint? I was talking to someone today who failed to find a moveable I hid. The cache is quite large and I hid it in full view, albeit in the bush. Seeker was looking down, not up. The hide was above head height. I checked; still there.
Any moveable that's been DNF'd without the previous hider confirming the casualty is potentially still there and it'd be nice to be able to check on this if one happened to be in the area. Ideally, I'd like to be able to view the ghosts on GA Cacher and make my own mind up as to whether they were worth a second look.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Re: Archived moveables

Post by J_&_J » 19 August 17 9:14 pm

This can be achieved by creating a Query, and making sure the cache type is set to moveable only and make sure IS AVAILABLE is unchecked and IS ARCHIVED is checked. Here's a list of archived and temp disabled moveables for South Australia, for example. http://geocaching.com.au/my/query/screen/7487

Archiving any cache on Geocaching Australia is not a death sentence for the listing. The owner can un-archive at any time, and often an admin can un-archive a cache if the current owner is inactive.

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 20 August 17 10:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. The query technique seems the best solution. Interestingly, in many cases, a missing moveable has a previous finder stating "will get out soon". Either that or a whole bunch of people at an event logging finds but no-one ever re-hides it.
Unfortunately, much of my caching is spur of the minute (ie, opportunity presents!) and I rely on my phone. I'll have to experiment to see if "Load one" on GA cacher will load an archived cache.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 21 August 17 12:18 am

nutwood wrote: I'll have to experiment to see if "Load one" on GA cacher will load an archived cache.
It most certainly does. Not sure about Load one but "Queries" does.