Stickers/stamps for signing logs

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Cuttlefished

Stickers/stamps for signing logs

Post by Cuttlefished » 16 March 17 9:56 pm

I've been noticing a few more stickers in logs/caches, so I was wondering what the consensus is for using stickers/stamps instead of signing a log with a pen. And where do people get personalised stamps/stickers small enough for logs?

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Re: Stickers/stamps for signing logs

Post by ziggiau » 17 March 17 9:17 am

I designed a stamp through Vistaprint quite specifically so it was versatile enough to be used in a variety of logbook sizes. Don't just go with default fonts and sizes, tinker until it works for you. And if you buy during one of their promo times they become quite reasonably priced. I have one for me personally and one for the family that includes all four of our caching names on it which becomes a massive time saver! I still have a pen to include the date but I have also acquired a really small date stamper just in case a powertrail appears out of nowhere. :lol:

Smity533

Post by Smity533 » 15 April 17 10:42 pm

I too have a sticker from Vistaprint! I use it for standard and large logs, however I don't have a date stamp! I think a stamp is well worth the money if you cache a lot.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 15 April 17 11:09 pm

We bought two stamps from someone back around 2009-2010, but can't remember who. We posted about it at the time in some long-lost thread on this forum*. Good news is, they are still working perfectly after all this time!

We also briefly used stickers, and just used readily available address label sticker sheets and printed our log and cacher name on them. We even still have a few hidden in a long-lost corner of our caching bag!

* http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... ilit=stamp

oldfella
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 16 April 17 8:22 am

I have stickers bought through Vistaprint as well. I have been seeing a combination date stamp and name stamp in logs and wondered where they were purchased and usually from a newsagent or a stationary supplier. Recently I bought a combination stamp from Geostuff online store. About $32.00 I think.

Toriaz
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Toriaz » 29 April 17 9:49 am

No one seems to have commented on the first part of the question. But I guess comments on where people acquired their stamps and/or stickers provides an answer in itself 8) .

I personally don't use either. I have no objection to anyone using them, but I do wish that some people would take more care with how they place their stickers. I've seen many instances where the sticker is slapped on the outside of a book, or across other people's names. It's like the person is only interested in getting their mark on the paper in some way then getting out of there as quickly as possible.

I've also seen a few cases where the sticker is just whacked in the container, no time taken to bother opening the logbook. And one memorable occasion where there was an outer container for protection, with the log inside a puzzle box contained within, the sticker was on the outside of the puzzle box :D . I checked with that one - there was no sticker in the log book itself, and the cacher had claimed a find :-k .

Before any sticker users get all defensive - please note that I said SOME. Not all. I've seen many stickers placed neatly in a log book. It's just the badly placed ones that stay in my mind.

I have contemplated making up a set of stickers for long road trips, but have never got around to it. I would never buy a stamp, because I know I would lose it. I lose enough pens as it is :D .

ziggiau
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 29 April 17 11:03 am

Losing stamps - I do worry about this and have lost my stamp once. Thankfully the cacher that came after me found it, contacted me, and I arranged for him to place it inside the cache which I went back to collect later. But I do wish it had a place to attach a lanyard to.

Kunama
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Kunama » 14 June 17 5:39 am

Toriaz wrote:I have no objection to anyone using them, but I do wish that some people would take more care with how they place their stickers. I've seen many instances where the sticker is slapped on the outside of a book, or across other people's names.
Likewise. I generally don't mind either, but when someone's taken up multiple spaces on a micro log with their stamp/sticker, I'm definitely thinking, "Really? I know you're stuck with the size of your stamp/sticker, but did you really have to deliberately put it perpendicular to everyone else's so that it takes up five times the room?! Inconsiderate wanker."

maccamob

Post by maccamob » 22 June 17 3:12 pm

We have a stamp that we use where space allows. When logs get wet, a stamp may work when a pen won't. Stickers do have a role to play but, over time, they can peel off and get lost. They can create problems on log scrolls too, when the sticker gets loose in the summer heat and sticks the adjacent layers of the scroll together.