View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 26 May 17 12:50 pm

Geocaching apps 

GCA Found: 1
GCA Hidden: 0
Post Geocaching apps
Hi first post, so hello!

Started geocaching yesterday and am using the geocaching.com app and only have access to the bare minimum caches without upgrading to premium. So found and downloaded ga cacher app but once again only a few caches most of them are virtual. Is there a way to get access to more caches without paying for a premium app? Or another app with more access to real caches?

Reason im asking is because I want to give this hobby a decent crack before deciding if we as a family pursue it. And we don't want to be paying for an app that we aren't going to be using.

Thanks for your help much appreciated

15 August 16 3:28 pm
Profile E-mail

GCA Found: 1008
GCA Hidden: 232
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post Re: Geocaching apps
The majority of caches are listed at geocaching.com with fewer listed at Geocaching Australia. If you want to play the game on your smart phone, you're probably best off with geocaching.com and for that you will need to pay for a subscription at $30.00 USD per year.

This is a cache central to Maitland. MOve the map around (and give it a few seconds) and see if there are enough near you to warrant the value from your subscription.
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/tp5135.gmap

15 August 16 3:41 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

GCA Found: 1355
GCA Hidden: 14
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
If you've got an Android phone I recommend c:geo. Free and works very well. Have been using it for years. They regularly update it and the big surprise is that the improvements make it better unlike most apps, browsers or software (I'm looking at you Microsoft).

15 August 16 5:12 pm
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

GCA Found: 219
GCA Hidden: 24
100 GCA Finds
Hello, and welcome to caching! Nice to have another Yorke Peninsula cacher! (I'm from Curramulka myself - you?)

And I second Yurt's suggestion for c:geo. I have been using it for years and it is a great app - it also happens to be free!

15 August 16 9:35 pm
Profile E-mail

GCA Found: 1
Laighside Legends wrote:
Hello, and welcome to caching! Nice to have another Yorke Peninsula cacher! (I'm from Curramulka myself - you?)

And I second Yurt's suggestion for c:geo. I have been using it for years and it is a great app - it also happens to be free!

Ardrossan.

Literally started doing this sunday afternoon. Kids are loving it.

Just paid for a month subscription to the geocaching.com app figure $7.80 ish is good enough to give it a crack.
I will check out the other app too. Thanks

16 August 16 12:41 am
Profile E-mail

GCA Found: 39
solidute wrote:
Laighside Legends wrote:

Ardrossan.

Literally started doing this sunday afternoon. Kids are loving it.

Just paid for a month subscription to the geocaching.com app figure $7.80 ish is good enough to give it a crack.
I will check out the other app too. Thanks

If you get into it you might burn that much (or 3-4x as much) in fuel every weekend chasing caches! :)

19 August 16 8:41 pm
Profile E-mail