Caching and terror guidelines.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Caching and terror guidelines.

Post by Happy Chappies » 13 April 16 3:29 pm

So in a read of the paper today there was an article about the new terrorism guidelines (OK, I was drawn to the article by the link title "Planter boxes, benches might save lives" thinking it might be some neato article about the benefits of quality landscape architecture :? )

Interesting reading, especially these couple of paragraphs as they relate to what you and I might get up to on a fairly regular basis:
The guidelines stress that "it is not possible to identify a potential assailant on the basis of appearance, nationality or language" but recommend that employees in businesses and other agencies operating in crowded areas be trained in identifying the behaviours of potential terrorists.

These include "continuous scanning of an area, unusual perspiration, heavy breathing, fidgeting, rubbing hands, pacing, clock watching, exaggerated yawning, avoiding security/uniformed officers".

"There are behaviour clues staff can look out for when identifying potential preparatory actions for terrorism or criminal activity: unusual video recording or photography, working in groups, taking notes/drawing diagrams, taking measurements (pacing steps out), avoiding eye contact, asking about security/operations, revisiting the same location, observing but not using a public transport system."

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politi ... z45g1WE2ol

(emphasis is mine, and based on all my caching behaviours!)

Guess I'll have to start caching by walking directly go GZ, alone, pouring on the anti-perspirant, ignore the time, make sure I get plenty of sleep beforehand, have a friendly chat with anyone in a uniform, keep my hands in my pockets, never going back if I dnf, and avoid rubbing my hands in glee if I find it... :roll:

caughtatwork

Re: Caching and terror guidelines.

Post by caughtatwork » 13 April 16 3:53 pm

We are doing nothing illegal. It will be uncomfortable to be dragged away and then have to prove you are innocent. May GAFF rating may need to go up if I have to avoid looking suspicious.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 13 April 16 9:54 pm

Once again it emphasises that cache placement should not be somewhere too suspicious, though I guess the people who enjoy hiding them under planter boxes outside shopping centres will have more places to hide. Another reason I prefer a large hide in the bush than a nano in a highly public area.

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 14 April 16 10:26 pm

The behaviours in the third paragraph also describe history nerds, aviation enthusiasts, and train spotters as well as many other subcultures in society.

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 15 April 16 12:16 am

I think I'll be right - provided they don't ask my name :P

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 16 April 16 4:27 pm

Captain Terror wrote:I think I'll be right - provided they don't ask my name :P