Sydney...Crosslands..Boardwalk Empire

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
asbestiform

Sydney...Crosslands..Boardwalk Empire

Post by asbestiform » 25 March 16 4:14 pm

Walking at Crosslands today and while walking over the first boardwalk from the Crosslands end spied a familiar shape in a recently broken up stump just next the Boardwalk. Jumped down and sure enough. a 200ml Sistema clearly marked Geocache with a readable label that read "Boardwalk Empire". The box was a bit damaged and the log book quite wet. The box contained a few trinkets and two plastic medals with ribbons. The log book was totally empty. Was not expecting to find anything here. Anyway signed it and returned it under the board walk below the info sign, about 1m from where it was. Should be safer here.

Any ideas on what it is. I checked the archived caches on GA but couldn't find anything. A rare FTF on an unlisted cache perhaps?

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Re: Sydney...Crosslands..Boardwalk Empire

Post by MavEtJu » 25 March 16 9:46 pm

Freebies are always good!

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 26 March 16 11:06 am

The CO probably submitted it but it got rejected for being in a National Park and they never came back to get it.

There's a spot called Refuge Rock out at Cherrybrook where I went to look at setting up an Earthcache a year ago. When there I spotted a rock in front of a niche in the cliff and pulled out a cache. It had already been signed twice but I looked it up and it was unpublished. The blurb inside also referred to two other caches on the way in. I had a guess as to where they would be but didn't turn them up. Signed the first one anyway even though it was in the NP. The CO never came back it seems.

Just a month ago a cache was published in the same area, "My Fair Lady", which I found (as FTF) even though the coords were 180m off (see another thread here) but I wondered about it being in the NP with no statement as to permission. When there I found the old cache was still there.

A few others found My Fair Lady but then it came to the attention of the reviewer who archived it.

I wonder how many other unpublished caches are out there. Not one for the numbers hounds as they don't count!

Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Tyreless » 27 March 16 11:19 pm

I found one at the end of the Long Trail in Ku-ring-gai NP out the back of Duffys Forest around 2 years ago. I was looking for a spot to hide a cache (now hidden around 1.5km away with NPWS permission). It was called "Audible Bazinga" and labelled as a geocache hidden under a pile of rocks. So I signed the last page of the log book and re-hid it.

A week ago I was in the same area again with my 2 sons so we checked it out - yes, still there, unpublished and unfound. So I removed it (litter in the NP), but my sons were happy with the trinkets inside (earbuds).

Tyreless

Post by Tyreless » 27 March 16 11:26 pm

Back on topic....

There IS a geocache called "Boardwalk Empire". Part of the zargfinders series around Manly Dam. Coincidentally, the zargfinders had dinner with the Tyreless family tonight and we were talking about their Boardwalk Empire cache and how it has gone missing a few times in the past - on one occassion the camo went missing but the container (a bison tube) mysteriously survived, tied to a nearby tree. Who in their right mind would take the camo but leave the container?

In hindsight, this post wasn't really on topic at all...

Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Goldenwattle » 28 March 16 1:20 am

I found a new cache in good condition on Red Hill in Canberra. I signed it, but it has never been published. My guess is it was too close to an existing cache and the owner couldn't be bothered to walk back up the hill and remove it. I also found a 'strange' cache on another hill. I have accidentally found several caches for mystery and multi caches, but usually they have had reasonably recent signatures, but this one hadn't been signed for ages. Perhaps an old cache, or again placed there, but it was too close to a nearby cache and was never published. There were only a few signatures, and several also from muggles, so perhaps they also stumbled upon the cache accidentally like me. If I left a cache that was refused publication, I would go back and remove it.

asbestiform

Post by asbestiform » 29 March 16 1:37 pm

Thanks all, odd that it's just been abandoned. The approx. coords were...S33 37.581, E151 06.772. Under Boardwalk at info sign. This is outside the park boundaries.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 March 16 3:00 pm

S33 37.581, E151 06.772 is in a restricted area:
http://geocaching.com.au/zone/coords/75 ... 1%2006.772

Berowra Valley Regional Park
Areas managed by NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service. In accordance with the National Parks and Wildlife Regulation 2009, geocachers must obtain written consent from the Park Authority to place a physical cache in a park.