Which map apps do you use to navigate on your iDevice?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Which map apps do you use to navigate on your iDevice?

Post by MavEtJu » 04 March 16 7:49 pm

A quick survey: On your iDevice, besides Google Maps and Apple Maps, which other map programs do you have on them to navigate?

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Re: Which map apps do you use to navigate on your iDevice?

Post by SamCarter » 04 March 16 8:05 pm

I have maps.me and Pocket Earth Pro. Both use OSM data (OpenStreetMaps, a crowd-sourced mapping project), which you download in advance (or as required if you have internet access). I usually use Pocket Earth Pro ahead of maps.me, because Pocket Earth has contours and some better graphical distinction between "types" of tracks and roads (some of my navigation is off-road), but sometimes maps.me shows something a little better or does things like route planning more obviously.

In any case, I DO like the OSM maps as they are often more correct than Google/Apple.

The other app I have, which I thought would be useful though I haven't used it much yet, is myTracks, which will let me record the route I am travelling on an OSM base map. You can then export the file as a GPX file and do with it what you will (in particular, you can use the GPX data to help you improve the OSM maps if a track or detail is missing)

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 04 March 16 10:38 pm

I have found HERE maps to be quite good

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 05 March 16 1:51 pm

SamCarter wrote:I have maps.me and Pocket Earth Pro.
Thank you, I've added maps.me and are currently negotiating with the twitter account for Pocket Earth to determine how to add it.