How long is too long?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
geofreak
100 or more tracks walked

How long is too long?

Post by geofreak » 15 May 03 2:59 pm

Reading the replies to 'Longest non-visited cache..' I'm wondering how long people think a cache should be left out if no one has visited it for a long time?
I notice some people have archived theirs if it hasn't been logged for a year or so, is this the timeframe most people use?

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Cache Euthanasia

Post by Hounddog » 15 May 03 5:05 pm

There are a few reasons that could cause a cache to stagnate. Some of mine have been waiting because everyone has done them and there seems to be a lack of newbies coming on board. Some are too hard for most, and others are too remote for regulars vistis. I first thought that a year without a visit was a good rule of thumb for removal but now I'm not really sure. I think the best thing to do is simply look at all the circumstances surrounding the poor lonely cache and then make the decisiion based on each individual set of circumstances. If in the end you make a decision for Cache Euthanasia then give people plenty of notice.

My humble thoughts anyway

Hounddog

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 15 May 03 9:54 pm

Personally I don't think theres any reason to archive a cache due to its length of time without a visit. Not every cache is everyones cup-of-tea. So what attracts one wont interest another.
Archive the cache only if its damaged or stolen.

geofreak

Post by geofreak » 16 May 03 11:24 am

But if caches are no longer being visited don't they run the risk of being just 'litter with co ordinates'? especially if the hider doesn't maintain them.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 16 May 03 12:01 pm

I agree with HoundDog, it depends a lot on the cache.

There are epic caches that might become too hard to maintain.
There are slightly remote caches that all the regulars have visited and newbies may never go after.
There are really remote ones that wouldn't be archived because the expectation is that there is a big gap between visits.
... and lots of others.