Cache found longest distance from coords

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Cache found longest distance from coords

Post by Yurt » 17 February 16 5:35 pm

Had the joy of finding a cache some 180 metres off the listed coords today. Only found it from the cache description.

I know of a few people finding caches up to a couple of hundred metres off before but I wonder what's the best?

Someone has probably twigged that a digit is incorrect so they've worked out they should be looking at latitude 33 South not 34 South or something like that. That would be a decent distance!

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: Cache found longest distance from coords

Post by Richary » 17 February 16 5:59 pm

180 metres seems like the difference between AGD66 and WGS84. Maybe had the GPS set wrong (and obviously didn't look at the map when publishing).

Goldenwattle
10000 or more caches found

Post by Goldenwattle » 17 February 16 6:15 pm

It annoys me when some COs won't correct their coordinates. Not 180 metres, but I've known caches 50 metres out and even after several people have mentioned this and some have given the correct coordinates, the CO still refuses to correct this.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 17 February 16 7:23 pm

860m is my record :D

http://geocaching.com.au/log/4419299

Some numbers were transposed in the listing. It was very obvious when I (tried) to get to GZ that something was amiss, and it was only that I had once looked at the proper spot to hide a cache years ago that I managed to find it.

Had fun none the less!
(That was back when I could find things, I seem to have lost that skill now)

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 17 February 16 9:39 pm

I am not able to give distances, but a lot of the Engineers Australia virtuals have been adjusted after the first finders provided me with the real precise coordinates. And I love every one of them for helping me out with them!

Edwin

2y'stassies

Post by 2y'stassies » 17 February 16 11:29 pm

We have had several finds where the listed coordinates were kilometers away but local knowledge and the fact that the hider had hidden other caches at the same time allowed us to find the cache. Malua GC4YA3M was found 11.8km from the listed coordinates and Outlook Mt Roland GC3C5NM was 111.2km from the listed coordinates. We did email the owner of the latter cache to check our hunch before we headed off but the coordinates were not changed until after we had found it. This was a case of S42 instead of S41.

sharnie's tribe
9500 or more caches found

Post by sharnie's tribe » 20 February 16 10:26 am

One member of our team recently found a gnome a couple of kilometres due south of it's listed coordinates, but only after wandering around on the median strip of a busy highway for a while trying all the spots that could have matched the hint. A quick phone call to say no go so I reread the last log and picked up an extra hint. Rang him back and sent him south a bit and there was the gnome all safe and sound. Easy to make a minor mistake in the coords during the heat of the race.

lucky1955

Post by lucky1955 » 20 February 16 2:37 pm

I had a FTF that was 228mtrs from where it was listed. Found due to cache description and hint. Initial position on the map was in private property.

biggles1024
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by biggles1024 » 20 February 16 11:17 pm

Early last week I set off in search of a multi only to discover that no co-ordinates for GZ were available. The information we collected in the field was the combination of a safe. The location of the safe was given in the hint. "Hope you're not feeling 'drained'". The entire cache was in a retarding basin that was dotted with pits covered by large, steel grates. We had to walk around trying to locate and then look inside each and every pit until we spotted the cache. That has since been corrected with the CO now providing the co-ords for GZ but by not providing any, she ensured she couldn't be wrong. :P :P

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 21 February 16 12:33 am

My best is 1130m from the listed GZ, a FTF on a cache at Mt Buller in 2012.
http://coord.info/GL8AHH4B

Browngang
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by Browngang » 22 February 16 12:29 pm

I found one 9.8k's out. It was for the FTF and I just went off the description and the hint. The posted GZ was in a random paddock, but the description mentioned the local swimming hole and camp ground. Mrs Browngang wanted to go straight for the campground but I had to check out and eliminate the posted coordinates first. We were pretty chuffed with that find!

BaldEd
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by BaldEd » 22 February 16 7:32 pm

My best was a geocache that was 30 whole minutes of longitude in error. The CO had made a typo when submitting the cache. It was the hint, and my local knowledge, that twigged me that the coord was possibly in error. A quick check with Google Earth solidified that idea. I rushed out and found the cache. \:D/ Was FTF, then had the cache archived because it was placed only 80m from an existing active cache. [-X
Last edited by BaldEd on 07 March 16 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RebornCyclist
1850 or more caches found
1850 or more caches found

Post by RebornCyclist » 23 February 16 12:10 pm

I got FTF on a puzzle where the solution coords were out by 4.5km, because there were typos in the listing for both the latitude and longitude minutes.
Because Google Maps put the coords in a commercial area, I took a punt on what the minutes should be and found the cache!

Brother Colin

Post by Brother Colin » 16 April 16 12:50 pm

I once found a cache 30km from the posted co-ords. :shock:
YES ... 30 kilometers. :shock:
It was their first cache and had totally stuffed up the co-ords but the description and hint pointed somewhere else. So I went for a longer drive and found it easy as. :lol:
It was a good cache for their first effort. Unfortunately they archived it rather than change the co-ords. :cry:
In my log I did mention to contact the reviewer and they would help them sort it out.