CCCC: Cache Construction Centre of Competence

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: CCCC: Cache Construction Centre of Competence

Post by Richary » 03 November 15 5:55 pm

I know you can get firetacks in brown, which at least makes them a bit harder to spot on a tree during the day.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 04 November 15 9:17 am

Thanks - there's a few good suggestions there that I'll follow up. My thinking behind this is that I've recently started work and have an office with a window/desk overlooking a public area - A perfect spot to potentially mark up some numbers in reflective material so that when someone points a torch at my window it lights up... That paint may be an option so I'll look into it, thanks!

I've used black reflective tape on a black background before which worked well, but that was just strips, not drawn out numbers, so a bit less conspicuous in daylight.

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 04 November 15 6:02 pm

I bought a thick UV pen which works pretty well although it's not very weatherproof. It might work well if it was protected or if you could write on the inside of the window.
It's not going to the job I was wanted. You can borrow it if you want to give out a go.

biggles1024
2500 or more caches found

Post by biggles1024 » 06 November 15 12:08 pm

Another thing to consider is colour blindness. I know of several cachers who are red-green colour blind, my caching partner being one of them. If you want to make a night cache as inclusive as possible, avoiding red,orange and even brown reflectors will be very much appreciated by those affected.
FWIW, my caching partner can see a red reflector/fire tack, but only if standing almost directly in front of it and it is the object rather than the reflection from the object that he sees, at least that is how he has explained it to me.
It is of course impossible to see through someone else's eyes. :wink:

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 19 November 15 10:30 pm

biggles1024 wrote:Another thing to consider is colour blindness. I know of several cachers who are red-green colour blind, my caching partner being one of them. If you want to make a night cache as inclusive as possible, avoiding red,orange and even brown reflectors will be very much appreciated by those affected.
FWIW, my caching partner can see a red reflector/fire tack, but only if standing almost directly in front of it and it is the object rather than the reflection from the object that he sees, at least that is how he has explained it to me.
It is of course impossible to see through someone else's eyes. :wink:
I know nothing about this, but I would have thought they could still see the brightness of it? Like how if you filmed a red light and displayed it on a black and white TV screen you can still see the light but you just can't tell what colour it is...

biggles1024

Post by biggles1024 » 20 November 15 2:48 pm

Laighside Legends wrote: I know nothing about this, but I would have thought they could still see the brightness of it? Like how if you filmed a red light and displayed it on a black and white TV screen you can still see the light but you just can't tell what colour it is...
I can only go by what my caching partner has told me. I know from an early night cache did together, he couldn't count the number of red, aircraft warning lights that were located on a high chimney in the docks area of Melbourne. He could see lights, but couldn't discern the number of individual lights.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 26 May 16 10:12 pm

I realise this thread is basically about constructing more intricate/elaborate cache containers, but I can't think where else to post this...

Today, thanks to a nearby pro geocacher, I discovered "tough paper" by nu: world. It is "made from stone, is water and oil resistant, tear resistant, great for writing outdoors, and ruled and perforated." It comes in small medium and large notebooks at Officeworks and is cheaper than buying from a geocaching store (sorry geo-store-owners).

I've scrunched it, wet it, stretched it, torn it, attached it to my windscreen wiper and driven with it in the rain, and written on it when wet and dry with a few different pens. Textas don't hold and felt tips need a bit of time to dry/set in a bit. Ball point pens and sharpies work well after the above treatment and still wet (a quick wipe gives a better result than puddled). Pencils even work with puddles of water on the page.

And it looks and feels like normal note paper.

It's good stuff.

Happy Chappies

Post by Happy Chappies » 31 May 16 11:07 am

No_Tomorrow wrote:I realise this thread is basically about constructing more intricate/elaborate cache containers, but I can't think where else to post this...

Today, thanks to a nearby pro geocacher, I discovered "tough paper" by nu: world. It is "made from stone, is water and oil resistant, tear resistant, great for writing outdoors, and ruled and perforated." It comes in small medium and large notebooks at Officeworks and is cheaper than buying from a geocaching store (sorry geo-store-owners).

I've scrunched it, wet it, stretched it, torn it, attached it to my windscreen wiper and driven with it in the rain, and written on it when wet and dry with a few different pens. Textas don't hold and felt tips need a bit of time to dry/set in a bit. Ball point pens and sharpies work well after the above treatment and still wet (a quick wipe gives a better result than puddled). Pencils even work with puddles of water on the page.

And it looks and feels like normal note paper.

It's good stuff.
Precisely the sort of info that's useful in this topic! =D> Didn't know about that stuff, so thanks. Does it roll/fold well? (Not that I'm planning any nanos)...

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 31 May 16 6:08 pm

Happy Chappies wrote:Does it roll/fold well? (Not that I'm planning any nanos)...
Most certainly does. It looks and feels like paper. It folds and rolls like paper. It cuts like slicing through a cloud (smoother than anything I've hit with scissors that i can recall).

I folded an A5 page 6 times to make a 1.5x2cm-ish rectangle. The sixth fold being squashed a bit did cause a few stress stretches. The first couple of folds creased very flat and firm. It rolled smoothly around a bobby-pin and remained/s loosely rolled up.

Here is a link to the different sized notepads and prices:
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/Sear ... adie+paper

Goldenwattle

Post by Goldenwattle » 31 May 16 7:00 pm

I bought an A4 book of that paper some time ago and am cutting out pages to use. Great stuff!

Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 15 June 16 3:19 pm

I just went out and bought a 160 page A4 book of 'Nu world Tough Paper' from Officeworks. It looks and feels great, and it is tree and water free in its manufacture! It is made from calcium carbonate and a small amount of polyethylene.

At just over 4 cents a sheet it sure beats Rite in the Rain on price. It has a smooth feel to it, and unlike some waterproof papers it takes ballpoint ink very well and doesn't spring back when rolled up like some other papers. This book should last me a few years!

ziggiau
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 18 June 16 3:05 pm

Rainbow Spirit wrote:I just went out and bought a 160 page A4 book of 'Nu world Tough Paper' from Officeworks.
Have you experimented with passing it through the printer?

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 20 June 16 1:12 pm

ziggiau wrote: Have you experimented with passing it through the printer?
Just tried. It didn't like my ink.
"It appears the ink doesn’t take straight away, and bleeds out to a blur".
Colours were the worst, still able to smudge half an hour later.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 June 16 3:23 pm

Ink is liquid. Try a toner based printer if you can. That might be better.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 23 June 16 3:30 pm

The other day I found a brand new cache that consisted of a bison tube with no lid just a bit of tape around it with a stick attached to pull the log out. I'm not sure this is a good development. Hiding for numbers? Is the lid used for another cache? Not much use for anything by itself.