Pokemon Go

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Re: Pokemon Go

Post by Richary » 08 December 16 8:26 pm

While I do play, I tend to find that Niantic have made several errors of judgement that make the game less attractive.

The biggest bugbear is insisting you upgrade the app when required before continuing. Like that is going to happen if I am on overseas data. Let me keep playing with the previous one even if I don't get any new features for at least one version, until I can d/l it on a wifi connection.

Second is the unnecessary "your pokebox is full" or "your backpack is full". I don't really want to start transferring low value Pokemon to the Professor before I can catch something new. That's something for when I have a spare 30 minutes or so at home on wifi as it isn't a quick simple process. Maybe let me highlight a bunch at once and transfer them rather than one by one. Especially as my playing is more opportunistic, walking to a bus stop or something.

As for the backpack, I have yet to even visit a gym and spend time there, so I am always having to throw out potions etc that I don't need to make room for poke/great balls. I know they want me to spend money and buy new space, but an upgrade wouldn't solve the problem for long anyway.

Happy Chappies
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Happy Chappies » 09 December 16 11:40 am

Richary wrote: Maybe let me highlight a bunch at once and transfer them rather than one by one. Especially as my playing is more opportunistic, walking to a bus stop or something.
Lo and behold that's what the new update lets you do. Good improvement.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 09 December 16 12:01 pm

Yes it's live now.

All the talk is that from 12/12 either there will be new Pokemon or there'll be an announcement about new Pokemon. A lot of fluff about Starbucks in the US all becoming stops and gyms (who cares here?) but if it's Gen 2 then that's exciting. There's not much to do when you've filled the Pokedex apart from hoping for a trip to Europe or Japan for the only regionals unfound. The grind to get to the next level is not much fun. Now level 30 so it's 500K XP to get to 31. That's a lot of Pidgeys being ground up.

Valvetron

Post by Valvetron » 13 December 16 5:30 pm

Hi Cachers,

I'm coming from the other direction. Played Pokemon to death. Enjoy the walking, hunting and catching but the gym fighting drives me nuts. It's fun when the teams are reasonably balanced but there's too many blue (Mystic) players in my area (everywhere) and they dominate all the gyms. Then I found out how easy GPS spoofing is and that's the last straw. What's the point? I'm hoping that geo-caching will fill the void for me.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 14 December 16 9:30 am

Welcome aboard! Any questions you have I'm sure will be answered by the geocachers on this board. Very friendly bunch. Look out for any local events too - a great chance to meet in person and get some assistance if needed.

I was never much interested in gym fighting but since completing the Pokedex (not now though!) I started the odd gym battle. Being the minority tribe there's no chance of holding a gym as there are almost zero Instinct players near me it seems. I won a gym (which was strangely defended by two CP10 Pokemon) but I hadn't walked 100m away before it was retaken. However there was no one in sight so I know it was a spoofer. Funny how Niantic shuts down all the trackers but can't do anything about this.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 06 February 17 3:11 pm

Bored to death with it now. Gone back to geocaching. Well I'd do more cacing but it's been too hot.

Anyway until Gen 2 comes along I'll be doing very little. Reached level 32, complete Pokedex (except for Cleffa - only ever get 5km eggs so almost zero chance of getting it), gym fighting is dull. As everyone is saying on the Reddit forums "it could have been so great but Niantic blew it..."

I don't see anyone much playing any more but going by the gyms visible from home there are still plenty playing as they change hands every day, sometimes several times.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 08 February 17 7:55 am

Gen 2 is already here. Got one and seen another in a gym. Both devolved versions of series 1 pokes.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 February 17 8:10 am

Only some Gen 2 are here. The babies can be hatched.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 08 February 17 4:20 pm

Yes the babies are old news. Had them all but Cleffa since about the first week of January. Get nothing but 5km eggs (like 50 in a row) so no chance of hatching anything interesting. Am convinced Porygon doesn't hatch from 5km eggs. Have caught two in the wild though.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 18 February 17 9:02 am

Gen 2 arrived yesterday. Hyped. Already found 40 new ones.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 February 17 1:21 pm

Yes indeedy. A Cindaquil nest only about 15m away. The family are off after lunch for some hunting.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 15 March 17 4:57 pm

Valvetron wrote:Hi Cachers,

I'm coming from the other direction. Played Pokemon to death. Enjoy the walking, hunting and catching but the gym fighting drives me nuts. It's fun when the teams are reasonably balanced but there's too many blue (Mystic) players in my area (everywhere) and they dominate all the gyms. Then I found out how easy GPS spoofing is and that's the last straw. What's the point? I'm hoping that geo-caching will fill the void for me.
Too many blue you say.......you'll love dragonZone then. :D :D

http://geocaching.com.au/dragonzone/

Come over and have a look.....

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 17 March 17 11:51 am

Interesting discussion on Reddit (Silph Road):
Rural players always complain about a lack of stops and gyms. Someone has proposed assigning more using geocache coordinates!

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/c ... locations/

(url tags don't seem to work for me)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 March 17 1:05 pm

URL tags are broken at the moment in the forum.
my suggestion to Niantic is that you use your money to buy/license the geocaching database.
I don't think even Niantic could afford that :-)

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 11 May 17 5:43 pm

http://imgur.com/057hV5L

Shows how dominant some teams are in some areas and Instinct is not as Extinct as people say.